A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Huntsville Crafting  (Read 6988 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katt24

no work and all play.....

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2005 09:41:51 PM »

Hey everybody!

Living in the grand metropolis that is Huntsvegas I thought I would share my knowledge of craft stores that are in the area.  I am *mostly* a knitter. 
The two best yarn stores here are Yarn Expressionswww.yarnexpressions .com on Whitesburg Dr. (Just off of South Memorial Parkway). And my FAVORITE is The Knitting Zone www.knittingzone.co m (btw-they are both having good sales right now).  Knitting Zone is actually in Lacey's Springs, south of Huntsvegas.  If you look up the number on the website they can let you know when the shop is open, as it is a small mostly internet based business.
There are also a few beading stores here-Mary's Antiques(junk) on Pratt Ave. off of Memorial Parkway- she has all kinds of neat/funky stuff in her shop.
and
Bella Beads-which is just a few doors down from Mary's.  This is a better organized store than Mary's.  Very nice/upscale.

If anyone else knows of some great places in town or close, please post!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

don't let me find more crap to do
ostmega
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006 06:34:45 AM »

I know it's been awhile since this post was started, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.  I love Yarn Expressions, too - especially their sales!  I'm still working through my stash of yarn from their moving sale when I was lucky enough to get one of the 40% off tickets!

For fabric, there's always Sir's Fabric in Fayetteville, TN.  If you don't know about it, it's this HUGE warehouse-like place that has awesome fabric for cheap prices.  They have some stuff on rolls, but most of it is already cut into 5+ yard pieces and loaded onto tables.  It's usually more fabric than I need, but for $3.99/yard I can find another project to use up the extra.  I've also heard there's a similar type place near Boaz, but I don't know the details on it.  If I find out, I'll post the details here...unless anyone else knows about it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaybirdiscrafty

Hi, it's been awhile!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006 12:23:11 PM »

Hey I live in Fayetteville and Sir's is great.  You can find all the stuff from Hancock's and Joann's except it is CHEAP!!  Be careful you will buy more than you need.  Also be prepared with cash or check+driver's license because they don't take credit/debit cards.  This place rocks.  It's kind of  like stepping back in time.  Don't expect anything fancy as far as atmosphere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaybirdiscrafty

Hi, it's been awhile!

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006 08:14:01 AM »

Has any bodt been to Sir's??  Does anyone live near Huntsville, AL or Fayetteville, TN??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panda
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006 11:35:46 AM »

Hey Everyone,

I have found for yarn beside Yarn Expressions,  Hobby Lobby, Hancock and Micheals (University Dr, Huntsville, AL) also have yarn as well as other crafts.  The nice thing about Yarn Expressions they will gladly help you with your knitting or crocheting, they even have classes.   Happy Crafting Madison
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ostmega
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006 08:00:27 AM »

jaybirdiscrafty:  your comment about stepping back in time cracked me up!  I just took my aunt-in-law to Sir's the other weekend and told her that exact thing.  She's from Atlanta and just loved Fayetteville - I'm sure she'll be back!  I always buy more than I need when I step into Sir's, but then I have a good time trying to figure out what to do with all that fabric!

Also, I drove by that place in Boaz, but didn't have a chance to go in (we were on our way to Atlanta).  I think it's called Wilson's and it's right on 431 as you come into Boaz.  If I remember correctly, it's  on the left hand side of the road.  Maybe one day I'll actually get INSIDE the store Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaybirdiscrafty

Hi, it's been awhile!

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006 08:58:55 AM »

Ostmega: A little birdy told me that Sir's is getting ready for a BIG sale in May.  If you went last year, they had a $1/ yard discount on any fabric $2.99 a yard and up. So 3.99yd is 2.99yd and 2.99/yd is 1.99/yd.  This sale kicked ass last year.  They are really stocking up.  The piles are getting higher and they had some really great fabric.  I got 12 yards of Bloomcraft fabric for $12.  I am making some bedroom curtains.  Hope you make it to sir's again soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarducky
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006 01:50:51 PM »

Hey, anyone in Huntsville want to start a craft club or something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap sometime. pm me ^_^
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006 04:49:51 AM »

I am totally up for starting a club.  I have been scouring the web to find crocheters in Huntsville.  I am about to start hanging out in the yarn departments and hand out business cards!
I used to teach at Michael's but don't anymore.  That store is very slow and I never truly liked it there.  I did end up over the course of like 4 months actually have 3 students - 2 of which were really cool.  I have been in contact with them and I know that one is up for getting a crochet group together.  I need to email her and see if she wants to get out of the house next week.

What type of group are you thinking of?  I know there is a knitting group that is very active that meets out a few times a month at the coffee shops.  I joined them once.  I do plan on going the next time they are out.  I missed it Monday - selfish me wanted to see Sean become the next Apprentice... and I was working on being an angel here for the pirate swap - poor gal got the shaft twice - her partner flaked then her angel flaked.  so I crafted my heart out for her... I hope I got a good thing going for her.  I think it came out really great.

So yes, I am up for a group to get started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
sugarducky
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006 01:27:50 PM »

I'm a crocheter in Huntsville! (though mostly a knitter and sewer. I must be the only person in the world who can't make a proper foundation chain, it's always way too loose!)
I didn't know there was a knitting club here. Do they have a website?
I'm not sure what type of club I want to do. I was thinking of one that was just crafting in general that met a couple times a month and people just brought stuff to work one and talked about crafty stuff, and then about once a month we could have a group project for the people who wanted to do it. I guess we would take turns teaching the projects.
But I guess it really depends on what people want to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap sometime. pm me ^_^
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cutting Tips in Graffiti
Flaring for Shadowing in Graffiti
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter T
How to Create a Layering Effect in Graffiti
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter R
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...