A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Huntsville Crafting  (Read 7686 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katt24

no work and all play.....

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2005 09:41:51 PM »

Hey everybody!

Living in the grand metropolis that is Huntsvegas I thought I would share my knowledge of craft stores that are in the area.  I am *mostly* a knitter. 
The two best yarn stores here are Yarn Expressionswww.yarnexpressions.com on Whitesburg Dr. (Just off of South Memorial Parkway). And my FAVORITE is The Knitting Zone www.knittingzone.com (btw-they are both having good sales right now).  Knitting Zone is actually in Lacey's Springs, south of Huntsvegas.  If you look up the number on the website they can let you know when the shop is open, as it is a small mostly internet based business.
There are also a few beading stores here-Mary's Antiques(junk) on Pratt Ave. off of Memorial Parkway- she has all kinds of neat/funky stuff in her shop.
and
Bella Beads-which is just a few doors down from Mary's.  This is a better organized store than Mary's.  Very nice/upscale.

If anyone else knows of some great places in town or close, please post!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

don't let me find more crap to do
ostmega
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006 06:34:45 AM »

I know it's been awhile since this post was started, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.  I love Yarn Expressions, too - especially their sales!  I'm still working through my stash of yarn from their moving sale when I was lucky enough to get one of the 40% off tickets!

For fabric, there's always Sir's Fabric in Fayetteville, TN.  If you don't know about it, it's this HUGE warehouse-like place that has awesome fabric for cheap prices.  They have some stuff on rolls, but most of it is already cut into 5+ yard pieces and loaded onto tables.  It's usually more fabric than I need, but for $3.99/yard I can find another project to use up the extra.  I've also heard there's a similar type place near Boaz, but I don't know the details on it.  If I find out, I'll post the details here...unless anyone else knows about it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaybirdiscrafty

Hi, it's been awhile!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006 12:23:11 PM »

Hey I live in Fayetteville and Sir's is great.  You can find all the stuff from Hancock's and Joann's except it is CHEAP!!  Be careful you will buy more than you need.  Also be prepared with cash or check+driver's license because they don't take credit/debit cards.  This place rocks.  It's kind of  like stepping back in time.  Don't expect anything fancy as far as atmosphere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaybirdiscrafty

Hi, it's been awhile!

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006 08:14:01 AM »

Has any bodt been to Sir's??  Does anyone live near Huntsville, AL or Fayetteville, TN??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panda
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006 11:35:46 AM »

Hey Everyone,

I have found for yarn beside Yarn Expressions,  Hobby Lobby, Hancock and Micheals (University Dr, Huntsville, AL) also have yarn as well as other crafts.  The nice thing about Yarn Expressions they will gladly help you with your knitting or crocheting, they even have classes.   Happy Crafting Madison
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ostmega
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006 08:00:27 AM »

jaybirdiscrafty:  your comment about stepping back in time cracked me up!  I just took my aunt-in-law to Sir's the other weekend and told her that exact thing.  She's from Atlanta and just loved Fayetteville - I'm sure she'll be back!  I always buy more than I need when I step into Sir's, but then I have a good time trying to figure out what to do with all that fabric!

Also, I drove by that place in Boaz, but didn't have a chance to go in (we were on our way to Atlanta).  I think it's called Wilson's and it's right on 431 as you come into Boaz.  If I remember correctly, it's  on the left hand side of the road.  Maybe one day I'll actually get INSIDE the store Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaybirdiscrafty

Hi, it's been awhile!

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006 08:58:55 AM »

Ostmega: A little birdy told me that Sir's is getting ready for a BIG sale in May.  If you went last year, they had a $1/ yard discount on any fabric $2.99 a yard and up. So 3.99yd is 2.99yd and 2.99/yd is 1.99/yd.  This sale kicked ass last year.  They are really stocking up.  The piles are getting higher and they had some really great fabric.  I got 12 yards of Bloomcraft fabric for $12.  I am making some bedroom curtains.  Hope you make it to sir's again soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarducky
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006 01:50:51 PM »

Hey, anyone in Huntsville want to start a craft club or something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap sometime. pm me ^_^
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006 04:49:51 AM »

I am totally up for starting a club.  I have been scouring the web to find crocheters in Huntsville.  I am about to start hanging out in the yarn departments and hand out business cards!
I used to teach at Michael's but don't anymore.  That store is very slow and I never truly liked it there.  I did end up over the course of like 4 months actually have 3 students - 2 of which were really cool.  I have been in contact with them and I know that one is up for getting a crochet group together.  I need to email her and see if she wants to get out of the house next week.

What type of group are you thinking of?  I know there is a knitting group that is very active that meets out a few times a month at the coffee shops.  I joined them once.  I do plan on going the next time they are out.  I missed it Monday - selfish me wanted to see Sean become the next Apprentice... and I was working on being an angel here for the pirate swap - poor gal got the shaft twice - her partner flaked then her angel flaked.  so I crafted my heart out for her... I hope I got a good thing going for her.  I think it came out really great.

So yes, I am up for a group to get started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
sugarducky
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006 01:27:50 PM »

I'm a crocheter in Huntsville! (though mostly a knitter and sewer. I must be the only person in the world who can't make a proper foundation chain, it's always way too loose!)
I didn't know there was a knitting club here. Do they have a website?
I'm not sure what type of club I want to do. I was thinking of one that was just crafting in general that met a couple times a month and people just brought stuff to work one and talked about crafty stuff, and then about once a month we could have a group project for the people who wanted to do it. I guess we would take turns teaching the projects.
But I guess it really depends on what people want to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006 01:34:48 PM »

I'm game for a crafty group - the knitting group I found on Yahoo groups by searching for Huntsville knitting or something like that.
northalabamaknitters is their name.
If your foundation chain is too loose, try using a hook 2sizes smaller- that should do the trick for you

Just say when and I will be there.  I do have one person that I taught to crochet that can meet on a Tuesday or Wednesday night next week - and I know of one person who would like to learn... I can give her a call as well.  I am sure she would be game to get out as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
sugarducky
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006 04:04:24 PM »

I'll have to check out that knitting group.
Next wed at around 8 would be good for me (is that too late? on mon+wed I have school until 7:45 and tues+thurs I have school until 9:45, and I know most people are busy on weekends).
Where do you think we could meet? I'm in east huntsville, but I go to school and work in west Huntsville, so it doesn't really matter to me. I know a lot of knitting people meet in coffee shops. I can't really think of any off hand except starbucks and Kaffeklatch(sp), and Kaffeklatch is too crowded and popular. Boulevard South is nice, not too crowded on weeknights, but i don't know how late they are open. I'll call and see. If you can think of another place I'll call them too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006 04:33:19 PM »

I can call the place in BAM - Joe Mugs and see if they know of a group that is meeting there on Wednesday.  I will get there early - I have a bit of teaching to do - Marty will probably need a reminder and a gentle nudge.  She has great potential talent but is really just unsure of herself - and I don't think she has been practicing... Melissa hasn't crocheted before, but wants to learn so I would try and get there early to teach her.  I turn into a pumpkin by about 9:30 - I have to get home before 10... married life... can't be out all night!

But it is a good start!

Wednesday is good.  I am marking on my calendar - and who knows.  Maybe we can scrounge up a few more needleworkers to meet as well.

I'm in NE Huntsville - by Homer Nance and Winchester - over by where the new Publix is going in, if you have been out that way.... That will be nice when it finally gets done.  Talk about a convenient trip if you run out of milk!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
sugarducky
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006 06:30:51 PM »

Joe Mugs would be good. I can probably get there earlier, too, because my class always really gets out at 6:30.
I was thinking for a project we can make crochet flowers, because they are very easy for beginners, but I have a bunch of patterns and you can make them up too. Do you think you can bring a couple middle-sized hooks? I'll bring some, and I have a bunch of pin backs and blank barettes and small things of yarn.
I'll put up a poster at my school once we get it figured out ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006 05:37:31 AM »

I know that Marty is working on a scarf - and Melissa will not be ready to do flowers - she has never even held a hook.  We should play it by ear, but come prepared.  I will bring a bag of books and hooks and whatnot if you would like.  Right now I am working on a few projects for a company that I work for which I may or may not bring along.  Maybe it should be a bring your own project or if you want to learn, bring an idea of what you might like to make and some yarn to do it with?  I just would hate to exclude anyone that might want to go because they don't care for a particular project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006 09:34:22 AM »

I called Books a Million on University/Pkwy and they said that they have listing of when groups are coming - that they just show up - so if next Wednesday is good for you, I can be there by 7.  I'll contact Marty and also Tiffany and see what she is up to and take it from there...
You out there Katt?  Jump in any time here!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
sugarducky
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006 09:53:59 AM »

That sounds good to me. I'll probably get there around 7-7:30, depending on my class. I think my sister is coming too, she's not into yarny crafts, but she is more into stuff like diy shirts and stuff like that. I don't really have any crafty friends to invite.
Yeah, I think bring-your-own-project is the best plan.
If this works out I'll make some kind of flyer about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarducky
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006 10:02:39 AM »

Also, any person who just happens to be reading this is invited, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006 11:09:06 AM »

You still up for meeting tomorrow night?  I will be there.  I have at least one other person coming.

I have 2 more phone calls to make to others that might want to go.
Joe Muggs, by toys r us - university/pkwy at 7ish right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
sugarducky
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006 10:17:06 PM »

This is awful! I just found out that I have a Spanish test tomarrow night! (the only time we have class on wednesday is if there is a test) If you still want to go I will come as soon as I can. I think the test will be easy, but it starts at 7:30. Man, I'm really sorry. I'm not usually this flakey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2006 04:32:51 AM »

Not a problem.  Marty couldn't go either.  I will contact T and let her know I wont' be there either then.  Besides, I have a purse to design and get out the door.  I am on a deadline and can't seem to do anything but make things for friends and my kids.  I really need to get my priorities straight... work before fun...

Maybe we can hook up next week or the week after? I have a friend who wanted to go but she can't make it on Mondays or Wednesdays.  Her husband has a class so she will be home with the kids.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
therealgigantor

GIGANTOR SMASH YOUR CITYYYYYYY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006 05:07:51 AM »

Hi all,

I'm a lifelong huntsvillian...I'd love to be a part of a "craft-n-bitch" sort of group of maybe 18- 30 somethings? I've done this sort of thing with friends, but its always fun to work on things in a group.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006 05:15:01 AM »

that 30 something I am already pushing - I am 38...
I am going to be meeting with someone on Tuesday the 12 from about 6-8 or so at BAM over by ToysRUs to give her a refresher crochet boost.

the more the merrier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
jaybirdiscrafty

Hi, it's been awhile!

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2006 05:23:07 AM »

I am a litlle north of Huntsville and I have already pushed the something part of 30 also (33).  I would like to participate, too, if it coordinates with my schedule. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
therealgigantor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2006 09:00:50 AM »

I would like to participate, too, if it coordinates with my schedule. 
I am going to be meeting with someone on Tuesday the 12 from about 6-8 or so at BAM
I can't make it for that, but it maybe we could get something going!  I wonder are there more out there who would come to like a monthly get together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Misscritta
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007 02:07:20 PM »

I just found this thread, but I live in Florence, so I would love to meet with other crafty types if you get this going in the Huntsville area. It's nothing for me to head down 72 and meet you guys. I'm a knitter, but always looking for more craftiness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll have a Bloody Mary and a steak sandwich and... a steak sandwich, please.
Kiwi-Chickie

I am a hippy at heart...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007 06:24:39 PM »

Bella Beads-which is just a few doors down from Mary's.  This is a better organized store than Mary's.  Very nice/upscale.

I work there! lol, It is awesome too.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

It would be awesome to have a group crafty get together thing in huntsvegas!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007 06:26:22 PM by Kiwi-Chickie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

therealgigantor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008 03:37:39 PM »

Please help create the
2008 V-Day Community Afghan
to benefit the
Huntsville Madison County
Community Free Clinic

Its quick & easy!
1 - Choose any color worsted weight, machine washable yarn
2 - Knit or Crochet a 7 inch square in any pattern

The deadline for turning in your square(s) is Friday, Feb. 29.
Raffle tickets will be sold.
The drawing will be held on Saturday, March 29.

For more information please contact
Freda Miguel
fredagram@yahoo.com
256-457-8745 voicemail

Knit/Crochet Together @

Barnes and Noble (University Drive)
Jan. 21, 7:30pm 9:00pm
Jan. 28, 7:30pm 9:00pm
Feb. 4, 7:30pm 9:00pm
Feb. 18, 7:30pm 9:00pm

Books-A-Million (corner of University Drive & the Parkway)
Jan. 25, 7:30pm 9:00pm
Feb. 29, 7:30pm 9:00pm

90% of proceeds will benefit the Huntsville Madison County Community Free Clinic
10% of proceeds will benefit V-Day.org (an organization dedicated to stopping violence against women world-wide)
The 2008 V-Day Spotlight is Women of Hurricane Katrina

*UNTIL THE VIOLENCE STOPS*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008 10:22:27 AM »

Just wanted to pop in to say hey to the Huntsville crafters!

Hobby Lobby is allowing use of their classroom for a Knitting machine group to meet - I posted here in the city guide .... if anyone is interested in machine knitting or wants to learn it - this would be a great way to do it!

It is for manual machines - like the Bond and others that don't need power cords  Wink and it is fun, challenging, frustrating, rewarding etc.

Hobby Lobby does sell the Bond knitting machine but you can get one cheaply using theirs (or Michael's) 40% off coupon.

The group will meet the first Saturday of each month from 12-5. 
Drop me a line if you are interested!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pottery: How to Make a Double-Walled Vessel
Pottery: How to Make a Bottle Form
Different Shapes of Pottery Products
How to Make a Goblet
Simple Sewing Basics
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...