A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,119
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Camo yarn? or Blaze orange?  (Read 5040 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazycatladymel
« on: August 29, 2005 12:27:03 PM »

I'm on a hunt for yarn to make my new nephews-in-law hunting hats. Their mother assures me that goofy hats with ear flaps (in the right colors) will be perfect for hunting (they asked her for socks). I'm totally going to use the Jayne Cobb hat pattern (w/ a better decrease and no pom pom), but am stumped about where to even begin looking for camouflage wool!

I found the perfect color orange yarn at lunch, but it was acrylic and too light. I'll bet Brown Sheep has something. I would like to try for camo first.

Help!

(ETA: Worst-case scenario is I find some nice olive "drab")
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005 12:40:11 PM by crazycatladymel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005 12:47:27 PM »

Found a blaze orange in a couple of places (ended up being the same yarn):

http://store.purlsoho.com/purl/products/yarndetail/590
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005 01:22:18 PM »

I don't know if you would be interested an acrylic, but Bernat makes a Camoflage yarn in a bunch of different color patterns.  http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=camouflage

I made toques for my nephews and brother last Christmas using this yarn and they turned out quite cool.  The acrylic was perfect b/c the boys aren't interested in "scratchy" wool on their heads - plus very washable.

The hats are here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=21826.msg177850#msg177850
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005 01:25:25 PM »

If they are deer hunters, they need blaze orange.  It's the law in most places.  For turkey they need camo, and as little skin showing as possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heart_bats

my favorite sport? knitting!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005 03:46:20 PM »

Lucky nephews in law!  I come from a family of hunters and I second GloryB's push for hunter's orange for deer season. 

If you really want to make something with camo, my dad & brothers use these things sort of like a muff -- just a cylinder that you can put your hands into.  The idea is that you can keep your freezing cold hands in there, but easily take them out when you need your gun.  But you could knit the cylinder (either in the round or sew up a rectangle) and even line it w/ polar fleece for extra warmth.  Oh, and maybe a little pocket for those chemical heat-maker thingies.   

Also, I would really try to use acrylic.  At least in Kansas and Missouri there are so many burrs.  I shudder to imagine pulling them out of nice wool. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005 04:13:08 PM »

That's the yarn! I knew I wasn't nuts. Thanks, subloke. Although it's listed, it doesn't appear that any stores in my state (or online) have it. But I'm bookmarking it for future reference! (It could be that the stores aren't updating their online searches.)

Re: Acrylic v. wool and Blaze v. camoflauge --
They're pretty active in all seasons (fishing too), so their mom said either/or. They'll probably get more use out of a camoflauge hat, but orange is safer for the deer season (gun - still use camo for bow). I hate hate hate knitting acrylic, but will if I need to. I'll look around and see if I can find a blend or something. I was excited to find a chunky wool so quickly. I wonder if I can make the hats bigger and felt them...

Thanks, everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005 05:01:42 PM »

You could make it 2 sided with blaze on one side and camo on the other.  The biggest one in the pic of the toques I made (for my brother) is black on one side and camo on the other.  I just knit the toque one direction and then picked up stitches on the cast on edge and knit the other direction and tacked the two together at the tops.  It makes it warmer and reversible. 

Luckily, when I needed the yarn I found it at Zellers (cheap-o department store in Canada).  I know that I've seen camo in other yarns (mostly in projects I've seen online).

You could try dying yarn in a camo pattern. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
amey
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005 05:02:51 PM »

Peace FLeece's Firebird Orange is pretty close to "blaze" in my opinion - you might see if they'd send you a sample.  If you'd be willing to mail it back, I can mail you my sample card that I have from them.

www.peacefleece.com

~amey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005 03:30:47 AM »

amey, you are very trusting! I can tell on-screen that it's pretty close, so I've bookmarked it too. Thanks for the offer!

subloke - even if I have to knit 2 separate hats for them, I've GOT to find some of that camo yarn! Your toques are fabulous -- I might do the earflap hats in orange as planned AND do a regular hat w/o flaps in the camo - if I can find it. Can you tell me where you got it? I'm guessing Canada... but there's got to be a way to get it online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amey
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005 09:16:32 AM »

amey, you are very trusting! I can tell on-screen that it's pretty close, so I've bookmarked it too. Thanks for the offer!

Ehhh - it's a sample card.  I bought one in the last co-op I did for $3 (you can get them from PF directly for $5 shipped).  In the event you didn't return it, I'm not out alot, really.  It's just a sample card Smiley

OH!  I just remembered I have a tiny bit from a potholder kit I thought I was going to do with my kid (he's not yet 5 - what was I thinking??).   I can send you some - it's probably not as BLAZE as hunter's orange, but there you go.  PM me if you're interested.

~amey

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Panoramic Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Night Portrait Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Museum Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...