A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,069
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old punk/New Punk mix tape swap???  (Read 810 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zanti MissKnit

Formerly known as AndreaLH

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2005 07:05:04 AM »

Here's the idea I came up with and how I came about it. . .

I got into punk rock around 1983 or so, and stopped listening to a lot of "new" stuff in the early 90s.  I have records and CDs from punk bands from the late 70s through the 80s, a little bit of 90s, but know nearly nothing about punk rock bands in this millenium. 

Therefore, my idea is that someone into "old punk" swaps mix tapes with someone into "new punk".  That was, us old folk get to hear new bands and younger folk get exposed to the roots of their favorite bands.

Oh, and to keep it crafty, maybe through in a homemade patch/sticker/magnet/t-shirt and spiff up the cassette case a bit.

I'm still in my first swap now, so I'm not planning on organizing this right away.  It's just an idea i'm kicking around.

Anyone dig it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lespaulguitargurl
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005 03:43:54 PM »

This sounds great.  I would be into being in this swap.  I'm kind of into both (what with my love of the Clash, Social D, Rancid, and Green Day), but I definately favor "newer" punk. I would love to hear what others are into especially with older bands.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiwitart
Angry Pixie

Writing is like butterfly soup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005 04:05:40 PM »

I'd love this, but would "new punk" include pop-punk? I have nothing against pop-punk, some of it, like green day, is really good. Just wondering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zanti MissKnit

Formerly known as AndreaLH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005 04:24:09 PM »

I like Green Day too, but I don't like a lot of the bands that got on MTV in the wake of Green Day. . . Blink 182, Good Charlotte, etc., so I'm not sure how to answer that.  (I guess I know more about current bands than I claim to!)  I was hoping for exposure to more underground bands and the sort of stuff I used to learn by reading Maximum Rock n Roll and Flipside every month.  In my original post I started to write something like this but thought I could come across as really elitist, and I didn't want to alienate anyone because I think this gives the Good Charlotte fans a chance to hear some music they may not have heard before, and get them to delve deeper.  (Here I go, now THAT sounds elitist -- why should I assume GC fans don't know "older" punk?)

Maybe have the swap be "the bands you love that no one else seems to have heard of"?!?  That seems to be the story of my life!!!!  The only "new" punk bands I own CDs of are from Japan. . . stuff like Kokeshi Doll, Titan Go Kings, Bleach are examples of the more "punk" stuff (or punk/noise as far as Kokeshi Doll is concerned).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiwitart
Angry Pixie

Writing is like butterfly soup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005 04:39:04 PM »

Haha, ok I have the smae kind fo attitude. I like some fo the pop-punk bands, but with like most types of music that become popular, there's a lot of generic stuff out now too. That swap sounds like it'd be cool to participate in you know 'the bands you love, but no one else has ever heard of' but i don't think my music would be considered punk if I did it that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ratjen37
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005 01:57:28 PM »

Oh man, this could get messy... (trying to classify what people feel is "punk" these days).

I'm into the good ol' boys like Angelic Upstarts, The Clash, etc.  This sounds like fun, but I hope nobody gets too defensive or evil about it...  Undecided

Maybe each swapper could identify a few of their fave bands, old and new, and the organizer could match people up according to their interests (ie no diehard Misfits fans with NOFX fans, y'know?).

I always love stuff like this - it's a great opportunity to discover new (or new to you) bands. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Hobart, dishwasher as man and machine.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Hair with a Flat Iron
How to Choose a Flat Iron
Hair Color Advice
Learn How to Backcomb Your Hair from the Experts
Learn How to Flat Iron Curl Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...