A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: All these American ingredients confuse me...  (Read 29321 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mirandalea

Be gentle, I'm new.

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 16, 2006 11:31:30 PM »

Okay, I have to weigh in on the whole food thing. I LOVE food. lol This has been one of the most educating threads I've ever read. I'm a Kansan, so I don't know if we have anything that's really "regional."

My dad came from a huge family, so they ate things that were cheap and easy. Ten kids (mostly boys) = Fifty pounds of potatoes per week. Minimum. Every meal had potatoes. We don't consider them a vegetable, they are their own food group. Baked, fried, mashed, scalloped, etc. One of my dad's favorite meals is fried macaroni and creamed corn. You boil the macaroni until it's tender, then fry it in butter, and smother it with creamed corn. And of course, it has to be accompanied by fried potatoes with lots of onions. Hope you like starch! lol But it's delicious.

As for french fries (or chips, or whatever) they can be smothered with any number of things. I tend to think ketchup is boring, unless you add a few drops of Tobasco. I like them with sour cream, mayo, mustard and ketchup mixed together, or dipped in soft serve ice cream. That last one is not a Kansas thing, because everyone thinks I'm wierd for it, especially my husband. (Though I totally caught him doing it the other day!! I'm a bad influence.)

It seems like people in the midwest are simply enthralled with ranch dressing. They put it on everything! Personally, I hate the stuff. I LOVE bleu cheese dressing, though. The chunkier the better.

One more thing, and I know I'll take a lot of crap for it from the southerners, but I HATE sweettea! I think it tastes like three-day-old, watered-down, fizzless soda. (BTW most folks around here call that pop. I'm just a little wierd.)

So that's my 2 cents. Oh, yeah. I was never that bothered by spray butter. It's used and tastes just like melted margarine or butter (depending on brand name), it just doesn't solidify. I guess we Americans are just too lazy to wait for the real stuff to melt. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006 11:33:52 PM by mirandalea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do not think that word means what you think it means."

"I saw a wino siting on the corner eating grapes. I was like, 'Dude... You have to wait!'"
Imdee
« Reply #281 on: June 17, 2006 10:20:46 AM »

My dad is from OK.  Nine kids, 8 boys 1 girl.  As far as the biscuits and gravy,  it's generally a breakfast thing.  Although in our family, we put the gravy on our eggs.  This works best with scrambled eggs, fried eggs can be kind of gross with gravy on them.  I watched my cousin put ketchup on her biscuits and gravy and stir it up until it was pink.  It probably tasted pretty good, but I couldn't even look at it.  My favorite disgusting breakfast is called coffee pie.  You break up biscuits into a bowl, put butter and sugar over them and then pour coffee over it.  It works best with canned biscuits, homemade ones are too light and fluffy, and will turn into mush.  Oh, and being from CA, I envy being able to get sweet tea in restaurants.  I drink sweet tea at home, but when you get tea out, it comes unsweetened and the sugar never disolves in it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
popartlover09
« Reply #282 on: June 17, 2006 12:09:56 PM »

yes the scrambled eggs on top, how could i forget that? lol actually it tastes freakin good when u mix it w/ bacon eggs and maybe a lil jelly, i love it it has  nice texture, idk i have seen bisquits and gravy come w/ stuff like porkchops and rice for dinner, its common, they serve it in my school cafeteria even (only a nastier version) yea ranch is an obsession in the south 2,and ive seen people dip fries in softserve b4, ive tried it its not that bad really,
ahh sweet tea how i love it lol, but i llike mine really freakin strong though w/ lots of sugar
THIS ROCKS   Logged

why yes i do believe i am a craftaholic
Neveth
Rated PG-13 for language and mild peril.

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 17, 2006 01:42:03 PM »

Chiming in here!! I'm a Texas native and I figured I'd chime in with my family's favorite Texas Home cookin foods

Green Bean Casserole - Green Beans, cream of mushroom soup, and for texture French's Fried Onions. I've never liked it, but the rest of my family raves about it.

Anyone else know about Jello Salad? Eeeeeeeeeeeek  Shocked

Never been a fan of the typical southern foods, myself. However, I cannot refuse good barbecue (pulled/chopped beef for prefrence) or the flakier type of biscuts. I LIVE off of Tex-Mex practically. There's a taqureia not far from my apartment and we hit it up at least once a week for fresh flour tortillas, and occassionally fresh homade salsa. Mmmmm.

And a native Texan's take on Sweet Tea is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWW. You crazy south-eastern people! It's forever depressing to me that 3/4 of the places here in Dallas either don't serve unsweet tea anymore, or I have to specify. Proper Iced tea is with a slice of lemon (or lime) and (if you're not me and actually LIKE sweet things) maybe some sugar. But I have like an anti-sweet-tooth. Sweet tea makes me feel like I'm going to gag from the sticky sickly sweetness of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
popartlover09
« Reply #284 on: June 17, 2006 09:54:48 PM »

ah yes...green bean casserole, ive seen it b4, a must at all family reunions or hoilidays, personally i cant stand the stuff, i hate green beans...

jello salad, im somewhat familiar w/ it, what is it excatly, sounds good...

tex mex, delicious, i love the stuff and cant really get enough, no where around here to get the decent kind...

so who here has heard of ambrosia salad, a very nice neon pink dessert type thing also found at family outting, ewww doesnt begin to describe...

alright im going to admit a lil sin of mine, i hate fried chicken, all southerners are now cringing to the osund of it, just to greasy and w/ all the lil bones.. eww... although im a hypocrite i kno, i love fried chicken stripssss, like chickfillayish kinda

k im done haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

why yes i do believe i am a craftaholic
lbdancer123

Where the HELL is my chiffon?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: June 18, 2006 01:14:43 PM »

my mom's recipe for  jello salad is very interesting... it's usually lime and lemon jello mixed with assorted fruit bits like grapes and apple.  most of the time, there's also celery and other savory ingredients. not my idea of delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: June 20, 2006 02:00:35 AM »

okay. to chime in, i'm australian. and you know what i made last night. this was the first time in my 21 years that i have tasted it - CORNBREAD! i was SO excited. being a student, i'm embarassed to admit i actually daved my pennies to buy the polenta (cornmeal).

it was great! i served it with braised fennel and red cabbage... so not so southern, but i thought they went together. and we're having leftover tonight with vege stroganoff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leaguegirl
« Reply #287 on: June 20, 2006 05:54:34 AM »

Tennessee gal here. Speaking of bisquits and gravy. When I was a kid, for a special breakfast treat, we would have bisquits and chocolate gravy. Yummy. It is a basic milk gravy with cocoa and sugar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #288 on: June 20, 2006 04:52:08 PM »

Hey Kansas Miranda, I'm from Nebraska.  The fries in ice cream thing?  More regional than you think!  Everyone in my high school did that, but it was specific to Wendy's fries dipped in Frosty.  SOOOOOOOOOO good.

Here's another midwestern thing: cream cheese on pizza.  Think it's crazy if you want, but until you taste it, you don't know the heavenliness of it.  Just dot a little on, on top of the sauce, under the mozzarella.  It's gets all melty and creamy and yummy.

Also, frogeye salad:  prepare fruit jello, any flavor, but especially strawberry or lemon.  before it sets, fold in a container of cool whip.  Stir in prepared tapioca pearls.  Add crushed pineapple and halved maraschino cherries.  Refrigerate until the potluck starts.  Or forego the jello, and just stir tapioca into cool whip and add the fruit.  Mmmm, tasty.  Transfats are soooo good.  Drat a world in which Cool Whip is BAD for you!  Oh, the humanity!

Other so-bad-but-so-good foods from my childhood: 

Pigs-in-a-blanket.  With lil smokies in pillsbury biscuit dough, naturally. 

Crescent-roll pizzas, or english muffin pizzas.  On those nights when the only thing to eat in the house was the stick of pepperoni my father had inexplicably picked up at the gas station on the way home, a can of tomato paste, and some crescent rolls left over from thanksgiving.

Tuna bake with potato chip topping.  Or any other bake from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook, the bible of my mother's kitchen. 

Lupinbunny: Congrats on the cornbread.  There is no finer thing than cornbread, except possibly cornmeal biscuits.  Or spoon bread, which is still cornbread, but more souffle-like.  Did you eat it smothered in butter and honey?  Cause that's really the only way to have it, hot with butter and honey.  If you still have leftovers, give it a shot. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: June 20, 2006 05:16:13 PM »

Hey Kansas Miranda, I'm from Nebraska.  The fries in ice cream thing?  More regional than you think!  Everyone in my high school did that, but it was specific to Wendy's fries dipped in Frosty.  SOOOOOOOOOO good.

It's not so regional. We did it growing up in Maine, and my fiance who has lived in Oregon all his life has also done it for ages.

Also, tons of pizza places across the country also make pizzas with cream cheese on them, I never had it until moving to Oregon though.

Food is definitely becoming less regional as people move further from their childhood homes. It's interesting to note how often I see things like ambrosia salad show up and how at a party four people from different parts of the country noted that they had always seen it growing up. It's interesting to watch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crafting with Joan Rivers and Martha Stewart
Fringing a Cashmere Blanket
Assemble the Perfect Sewing Kit
How to Make Lavender Sachets
How to Create Potted Plant Centerpieces
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...