A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: All these American ingredients confuse me...  (Read 29302 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mmd32
« Reply #270 on: May 10, 2006 06:16:48 AM »

Jelly is made with juice. Jam is made with pureed fruit. Preserves and conserves are made with the whole fruit, or chunky.

One thing that drives me nuts about Aussie's is their habit of calling a whole bunch of things all under the same blanket name.

Tomato sauce, for example. That can cover tomato sauce, pasta sauce, tomato puree, ketchup, tomato paste, etc. They don't even have real tomato sauce, that stuff you get in the cans, lightly seasoned, with a consistency of puree, that SAYS tomato sauce on it. I shudder to think what recipes turn out like when they use American cookbooks, and Aussie ingredients!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: May 10, 2006 05:44:22 PM »

oh bah! i know passata and tomato paste. but yeah, everything else is tomato sauce.
it works fine.

the problem i've had with american cookbooks was the ongoing mystery of 'cilantro'. coriander, people. it's coriander.

american cookbooks are often a bit weird to my taste, actually. i cook more from british/ aussie books.

americans seem to have a very sweet savoury tooth (pumpkin pie; marshmallow and kumara, honeyed veges); and a big thing for cooking meats in, well, fat-laden ways. and online recipes always seem to call for a ready-made product - instant soup for a stew; ready-made cookie base (we don't get such a thing); etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DithMer

Have a good one, and learn everything you can.

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 10, 2006 06:29:21 PM »

so i'm weighing in verrrrrry late... but i wanted to talk about buffalo food!!!

are there buffalo wings in europe/australia?  they were invented in good old buffalo.

and there are some other things that you can ONLY get in buffalo that i've never seen anywhere else...  namely beef on weck and loganberry.  mmm.... now that's a meal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: May 10, 2006 06:31:17 PM »

I think the reason it calls for both is that when it calls for coriander, it means the seed or ground seed. When it calls for cilantro, it means that you use the green leafy bits, in a manner similar to the way you would use parsley. At least, that's how I've always seen it called for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
terin
« Reply #274 on: May 10, 2006 07:42:19 PM »

actually, coriander can refer to both the seed and the leaf.  whether a recipe calls for 'coriander', 'coriander seed', 'ground coriander', or 'cilantro' has more to do with the type of cuisine.  'cilantro' is the spanish word and that's why it's usually the one used in mexican or tex-mex recipes, whereas coriander is the english word and is found in indian recipes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: May 11, 2006 02:04:18 AM »

ahhhhh! and american food has MUCH more in common with tex-mex as a general rule.
Whereas i would suggest that on the whole Australian food is mediterranean (as in loosely italian/ greek. not spanish)/ asian.

that's so interesting!

For us, a recipe calls for 'ground coriander', 'corinader seed' or 'fresh corinader'.

I have seen one recipe in my life for buffalo wings. Served with blue cheese sauce. Never eaten them. They looked quite good (and the idea of a cheese sauce on meat, albeit very american, seems tempting in a sinful way), but what makes them BUFFALO-Y? as opposed to just chicken wings?
(i used to imagine them as kind of jumbo chicken wings... like, three times the size of a normal wing... though lord knows where you'd get them...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #276 on: May 11, 2006 05:18:56 AM »

They originated in the city of Buffalo, New York! No actual buffaloes involved at all!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: May 11, 2006 08:32:59 PM »

Buffalo wings are also generally not as hot as Hot Wings. Yummy messy goodness!

And to think, those used to be throwaway parts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
franciebrady
« Reply #278 on: May 12, 2006 08:27:03 PM »

Weird... I always thought they were called buffalo wings as a joke, as in "these wings came from a buffalo, that's why they're so tiny, since buffalos obviously don't fly."  It didn't occur to me that they came from New York...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
popartlover09
« Reply #279 on: June 16, 2006 09:55:42 PM »

this thread totally caught my attention... my book club loves books that seem to be set in the southern u.s... which is strange for us up here in canada .. one of our favourites was the sweet potato queen's book of love by jill connor browne..  they talk a lot about food.. we are trying to figure out if biscuits & gravy is a breakfast food or something u eat for dinner? lots of margaritas in the sweet potato queen!!!
bisquits and gravy can be eaten w/ pretty much any type of food imaginable, honesltly im a lil surprised pizza hut hasnt made a bisquit and gravy pizza ro somethin, which yes owuld be nasty but i bet people would still eat it,

THIS ROCKS   Logged

why yes i do believe i am a craftaholic
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Reuse Old Business Cards
How to Sharpen Scissors
How to Strip Wood
How to Turn a Hoodie Into a Bag
How to Turn a Hoodie Into a Laptop Bag
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...