A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 42
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: All these American ingredients confuse me...  (Read 29259 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gypsysoul3
PinkBird Creations

take it light, and take flight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: September 24, 2005 11:19:21 AM »

i just found this thread.....and, as an american (i live in hawaii) traveling to australia in december, all this food talk is very enlightening!!! i can't wait to try all these "new" foods!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinkbird.net
uncommon, handmade jewelry, accessories, and wearable art.

on etsy: http://www.pinkbird.etsy.com

Read my blog: http://pinkbirdcreations.blogspot.com/
Stifflersmom
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2005 07:01:00 AM »

I'm sitting here, sipping my unsweet iced tea *sslluurrrp* - Yep, it's another Minnesotan -
Has anyone tried of our version of a tortilla? It's called Lefse (or maybe it's really Swedish - but a lot of our early settlers were from Sweden). It's made from potatoes, looks exactly like a flour tortilla cut into a big triangle. Very good with butter, cinnamon and sugar.
I almost forgot to mention Smelt. A mess of tiny fish, heads lopped off, thrown in beer then in flour w/seasoned salt, and thrown in hot oil. You eat 'em bones and all. This is really a Wisconsin thing (along with deep-fried cheese), but thought I'd add it to the list of oddities.

I love lefsa.  I had never heard of it until I was 21, and married the first time.  His mother came from Norway.  Never could stand lutifisc though.  And it's been ages since I've seen smelt,  I remember when some folks used to go over lake Michigan and bring back truck loads of them.  But then the fish fries aren't the Mississippi river pan fish anymore either.
Lutefisk is really gross! But my dad insisted on having it in the fridge around Christmas time, along with a bucket of pickled herring and head cheese. Yish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2005 02:34:43 PM »

As an Australian who has lived in the USA for the last er..nearly 5 years now - my biggest problem with American food is CORN SYRUP!  URGH.  They use corn syrup to sweeten nearly everything over here, including chocolate. 

After I moved here - I was so physically ill from American food for a very long time - I had to go to organic foods, give up dairy and start reading the ingredients for everything I purchased Tongue

Because my husband's family is Hispanic - I actually don't eat much traditional American cooking at all - but rather, my diet consists mostly of Latino foods and Asian foods.

When I went back to Australia in July to visit my family - it was amazing food wise - I just ate and ate and ate everything I couldn't get here.  I had an amazing veggie pastie and a lammington also.  Then, I lugged back a huge bag full of yummy stuff to share here in the States :]  Tim-tams and vegemite included!

Well - that was very uneducational on my behalf Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
craftaddict08
Love is to share, mine is for you.

I'm gettin' my craft fix...

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2005 02:53:28 PM »

grits are the nastiest things in the world and so are chitlins . im the only one in my whole family who dosn't like them but collard greens and biscuits are pretty good...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scissorchic
« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2005 06:36:47 PM »

I hear the most complaints about american foods from the english lady I work with.  Infact her mum is here on vacation for a week and she brought us curry and malteasers!  MMMM!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jag5000

she's not just my daughter - she's pop art!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2005 10:45:27 PM »

pucchimaiko - I HATE corn syrup!! I had to buy some recently for a recipe and I could only find in a health food shop and it cost me $8!!! tasted horrid!!

the only thing I can compare grits too (I think) is polenta. Most of the recipes I have seen for grits don't add a lot to them - the thought of polenta with nothing added (cheese, pepper, spices etc) sounds YUK! not to mention the name grits alone is pretty off putting
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I craft, therefore I am"
mmd32
« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2005 03:17:02 AM »

pucchimaiko - I HATE corn syrup!! I had to buy some recently for a recipe and I could only find in a health food shop and it cost me $8!!! tasted horrid!!

the only thing I can compare grits too (I think) is polenta. Most of the recipes I have seen for grits don't add a lot to them - the thought of polenta with nothing added (cheese, pepper, spices etc) sounds YUK! not to mention the name grits alone is pretty off putting

LOL, I saw corn syrup in the HFS here, and thought it was the wierdest thing! Corn syrup is the FARTHEST thing from health food I can think of! And it was Karo, no less....that just makes me think white-bread midwest US, known for it's complete lack of nutritional diet, lol!

Grits, though, I love! Yum! Grin

Murali
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft-matic
« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2005 11:46:25 AM »

Hey, the midwest's diet is great! Jello, mayonnaise, and cool whip, all in one dish...what could be healthier?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
stickysweetfun

only slightly faster than a one-legged armadillo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2005 11:52:04 AM »

Hey, the midwest's diet is great! Jello, mayonnaise, and cool whip, all in one dish...what could be healthier?

Oh god.  *vomit*

And as a native-born American, I'm with you aussies on the corn syrup thing.  Positively disgusting.  My boyfriend likes to cover his pancakes in the stuff...  Ewww!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shlowzikins
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2005 10:09:25 AM »

this is from the beginning of this thread...

Bagels are not really a popular thing here...(I've only had them once...when they were a "New Taste" at MacDonalds..)

i know it's been a while, but i'm surprised no other new yorkers jumped in here! i'm born and bred in brooklyn, ny, where we take our bagels as seriously as some southerners take cornbread, and what they sell at MacDonalds are NOT bagels.
but southern food... my maternal grandmother was from the south (sort of, does west virginia count?) my mother grew up in new york and usually cooks like someone from a new york imigrant community, but everyonce in a while she makes something like really coarse unsweetened cornbread that she got from her mother, and it's always really good.
someone also mentioned deep fried cheese and the first thing i thought of when i saw that was mozarella sticks with marinara sauce and lemon... yum. not southern at all i geuss, but really really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 42 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
CoverGirl and Hunger Games Makeup Collection Revealed
How to Apply Makeup on the Go
Daytime Eye Makeup Tutorial
Tips For Plump Lips and Air Dried Hair
Nicki Minaj Releases Minajesty Perfume Ad
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...