A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 306,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: All these American ingredients confuse me...  (Read 33722 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chippygrl21
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2005 03:28:24 PM »

WoW,  this really crakes me up.  Dreamer is right about all the foods though.  And MAN!....to use those type of words for those foods you really have to be raised in the south or be a pure bread actual cowboy.  My grandpa used to use words like gritt.   What book are you reading?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is as vibrant as a white lily in a dark pond.
duifje
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2005 03:30:05 PM »

The Waffle House! Hehehehe when my husband and i were travelling through the Southern States, we often had breakfast over there and that was enough food to last until dinner  Grin. But it was always freshly cooked, unlike some other chain-restaurants. Oooohh those waffles with lots of butter & syrup...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is short eat dessert first
jag5000

she's not just my daughter - she's pop art!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2005 03:53:29 PM »

What book are you reading?

anything I can get my hands on!!!

anything from Dorothy Alison (titles like 'skin' and 'white trash') to trashy stuff like the ya-ya ones
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I craft, therefore I am"
mmd32
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2005 06:10:11 PM »

tortillas? you mean theones that you use to wrap enchilladas and the like yeah? I've never heard of them being eaten on their own

I am an American transplant in Sydney, and let me tell you, the tortillas here are a joke, as well as costing the moon ($4 for an 8 pack of stale corn tortillas?HuhHuh?)

Esp if you have been used to fresh tortillas fresh from the local Mexican shop...fresh corn tortillas, still warm in the package, are out of this world, and can be eaten straight out of the package! Tortillas and bagels are two American foods I recommend avoiding if you are visiting Oz..unless you are like me, and are so desperate you HAVE to have them..in which case you suck it up, and settle for just a small reminder of home (except for the corn tortillas...I refuse to buy those just on principle...)

Murali
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2005 06:40:39 AM »

I had a friend fly up from Australia a year or so ago and the one thing that COMPLETELY messed with his head was my bottle of spray butter. At one point he announced to a campground full of people that " This is an actual physical manefestation of what is wrong with America!" (For those who might share his difficulties spray butter is a margarine that comes in a liquid form in a spray bottle. 0 calories 0 fat I can't tell you what's actually in it, but it works great on things like corn on the cob or when you are outside eating cause bugs can't get in the bottle.) Jelly in a squeeze bottle amused him too.

oh my god. as an australian weighing in on this your friend is right. that *is* what's wrong with america. Butter. In a bottle. That offends me somehow. Especially since it isn't really butter, if it's completely calorie free. And i'm a big fan of the olive-oil-in-a-spray-can.

and deep-fried cheese. you deep-fry cheese in some parts of america? yukky.

aside from lamingtons and pavs we have rocky road, which is peanuts, glace cherries and marshmellows dipped in chocolate.

ohmygod! and here's something noone else has mentioned! Flavoured milk! Australians, even adults, drink loads of flavoured milk compared to other countries. You can buy it in cartons at the supermarket, or little cartons whereever you can buy soft drinks. Comes in mint, strawberry, banana, chocolate, coffee usually.
Though the coffee thing's gone nuts - where i live one brand alone makes traditional coffee, percolated coffee, lite coffee, mocha, cappucino coffee and coffee milkshake (it froths when you shake it. ugh).
When i went to NZ i couldn't get the big supermarket cartons of coffee flavour. Had to get used to drinking actualy coffee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allerby

You gave me the best mix tape I have

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2005 09:33:47 PM »

I never realized how much of the food I'm used to is really regional... I live in NC.  As a vegetarian here it's hard to get the real vibe of the food, but I definitely have had it before I went veg.  Even the green beans are cooked with hambone lol.  So it's tough.  But anyone who's ever had vegetarian barbeque has really lived.  It's an experience.  Hehe.
So... moonpies- are they really that regional?  Because I think that they should be required eating for everyone on the planet they are that good.  I like to pop them in the microwave too, because they poof up and get goooey. 
Biscuits rock- Bojangles are the best... and the dirty rice is so awesome.  Their sweet tea is a little sub-par, IMO.  Now if you don't live in the south and think you've had sweet tea cuz you bought the lipton mix or something, you are being cheated.  Go to the south and have some true brewed-sweet tea... it will make you swoon.
Grits and collard greens are an acquired taste... not especially yummy on your first go-round.
And thank you to those who clarified the "barbeque" thing... people who just chuck stuff on the grill don't understand the distiction!   Not that we never grill, that's not it, b/c it's good too, but I'm just saying, barbeque is a whole different animal in the south.
My family makes this really yummy stuff that we named tree-bark.  It's saltine crackers covered in caramel when it's hot then sprinkled w/ chocolate chips... they melt and you spread them evenly out.  Then you put the shebang in the freezer and when it freezes you crack it into pieces.  Very good, though I'm not sure it's southern.  Although EVERYONE I've seen here loves it Smiley
I never realized how much I like sweet tea till I travel to places where you can't get real sweet tea in restaurants!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Check out this awesome craft blog: http://deadladyyarn.wordpress.com/  (And I'm not just saying that because it's my BFF's Wink )
policyoftruth
"Eighth time's the charm!"

Fudgesicles?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2005 10:59:24 PM »

The Waffle House! Hehehehe when my husband and i were travelling through the Southern States, we often had breakfast over there and that was enough food to last until dinner  Grin. But it was always freshly cooked, unlike some other chain-restaurants. Oooohh those waffles with lots of butter & syrup...

Waffle House Cheesy They serve the best breakfast ever. And the best part is, in Georgia they are almost as common as McDonald's Cheesy:D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2005 10:33:57 AM »

There are 4 Waffle Houses in my town of about 30,000-40,000. Yet there are only 2...MAYBE 3 McDonald's.  Cheesy

Lipton Tea is nasty, nasty, nasty. I think that's why a lot of people say they don't like tea. They're used to instant mix crap. Personally, I think fake tea is one of the biggest things that's wrong with America. -shudders, and then drinks some more of her freshly brewed Irish Breakfast Tea-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2005 02:05:51 PM »

and deep-fried cheese. you deep-fry cheese in some parts of america? yukky.

That's actually not the worst. Wait until you meet the evilest creations in the world:
1- The Deep Fried Oreo
2- Mac and Cheese on a stick
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2005 03:07:02 PM »

and deep-fried cheese. you deep-fry cheese in some parts of America? yukky.

That's actually not the worst. Wait until you meet the evilest creations in the world:
1- The Deep Fried Oreo
2- Mac and Cheese on a stick

Mac and cheese on a stick?  That's a new one on me.
Deep fried cheese, actually fresh cheese curds.  Very popular here in Wisconsin, and they are delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Wine to Serve With Turkey
Equality Vodka: Good Booze On A Good Mission
How to Make an Aperol Spritz
How to Make 2 Perfect Instant Hot Chocolates in 35 Seconds
Mix It Up Over The Holidays With These Whiskey Cocktails
Latest Blog Articles
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap
The X-Files

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...