A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: All these American ingredients confuse me...  (Read 29194 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005 07:30:00 PM »

I just want to say that true southern corn bread is NOT sweet just so everyone knows. Sweet cornbread is an abomination in my opinion.  Grin The iced tea on the other hand...

Chicken fried steak/country fried steak isn't really my thing but chicken fried chicken (don't ask, I have no idea) is really good. Both seem to be very big in Texas. Another food very big in the south that a lot of southerners take pride in making is southern barbeque. Tennessee, where I'm from and where I currently live, has some really great barbeque places.

Catfish is often the kind of fish you'll find here. I've actually never had "chitlins" but the smell is apparently one of the worst you'll ever experience. Greens can also refer to turnip greens which also have a terrible smell. I've only ever eaten the biscuits actually, never had greens, catfish, grits, etc. Another Southern food I've never had even though I grew up here is boiled peanuts which is apparently especially big in either North or South Carolina.

Biscuits and scones are similar in making but not really so much in taste from what I've experienced. Even though I like scones.

Warm well-made biscuits are the absolute best thing in the world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Messily

do something pretty while you can

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2005 07:33:16 PM »

I'm a big baker, and in my experience, biscuits are much fluffier than scones, if that helps explain the difference.

Also, I've heard the term pavlova for ages and never knew what it was, so thanks!  Now I really want to find a recipe and try it out--sounds delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jag5000

she's not just my daughter - she's pop art!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2005 10:18:52 PM »

chicken fried steak?? what is that???

messily - Pavlova (or 'pav' as us aussies affecionatly call it) is YUM and SOOO easy to make.. basically you make a batch of meringue, put it on a (greased) baking tray in a kind of large flatish, but not too flat, circle and bake slowly until the top is dry (a good trick is to leave it in the oven after you turn it off until totally cold, then it crisps up nicely), spead softly whipped cream on the top and arrange fresh fruit on top too.. we use, strawberrys, kiwi and passionfruit drizzled over, but any is good... I like mine with all berry topping! YUM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I craft, therefore I am"
Pink Hula

Shala for a week

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2005 01:05:33 AM »

has anyone explained vegemite yet?? well i will anyhow

vegemite is kind of like marmite (you guys have marmite right?)

it is a dark brown spread that you put on sandwiches or toast, it is salty and...hmm i'll just go eat some and describe it...

hmmm well salty is the only taste that i can actually describe, it isn't just salty, but i don't know the words for it.

either way, you (normally) have vegemite and margerine/butter

suitable toppings to go with it is mainly cheese, as with the infamous "tiger" toast, which is vegemite with strips of cheese, then toasted.

one of my friends has lettuce with her vegemite, to her i say "what on earth is wrong with you" she says it makes it healthier, but that just isn't how i see it

i used to have tomatoes with vegemite but i never really enjoyed it.

in my opinion vegemite toast is to best way to go, cheese is a nice way to top it off though

Susan
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shala shala shala
grapefruiit
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2005 02:07:26 AM »

hmm im aussie.. well im asian.. but austrailan. oh whatever. however that works.... but i HATE lamingtons and vegemite. am i the only australian that doesnt like VEGEMITE?!?!! well.. i've never actually tasted it.. but the stuff smells foul.. so .. i was too scared to even go near it (after smelling it, that is).. maybe its coz im not used to "australian food".. coz i did live 6 years overseas.. which is basically nearly half my life.. coz im only 14.. so yea.... and i thought biscuits was just another word for cookies?? the whole "isolation" thing sucks badly.. like when i first came back to australia (which was in 2003, i think) i couldnt find hershey's kisses at the local super and i was so disappointed..... and i asked where the nearest starbucks was and they (ppl at school) said in the city,, which is like 30 minutes away from where i live.. but turns out there was like one in parramatta which is like, 5 minutes away from my house. go figure. and dan ryans and ruby tuesday and delifrance and the spaghetti house and all those nice places i used to eat at......... they dont have in australia. well, except for delifrance in the city, but it tastes crappy.. different from the ones i used to go to..... i lived in hong kong btw. omgosh.. where do i start.. hong kong had like the BEST restaurants and shops and stuff, i swear.. like shopping in hong kong is a totally amazing experience. hmm anyways now im just babbling.. i think i'll shut up now..ehh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jadey_mcshadey

kys mig, jeg er dansk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2005 02:17:59 AM »

Why would you want Australia to be the same as the States? That's just rediculous. Live there if you prefer it. I personally love that we're not 100% globalised. It's not like starbucks or Ruby Tuesdays is amazing food. You may as well lement the lack of McDonalds in Vietnam.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grapefruiit
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2005 02:53:31 AM »

nah im not wanting australia to be the same as the states. i love australia but i dunno.. i just miss hong kong. i think its just good memories. i DID live half my life there so.. sorta makes sense i guess..... well.. i dunno havnt tried ruby tuesday's in america but the hong kongs ones are GREAAAAAT.. hehe. sorry. im just a big food lover. except for the whole vegemite thing. still dont like vegemite.. and i really hate anchovies too. ok that was random. anyways sorry if i offended you in any way.. i didnt mean to.. i dunno... u just sounded sorta offended.
oh and one more thing.. you're just making assumptions (not trying to have a go at you, just saying..) coz i never even MENTIONED america and i've never been there in my life .. i WAS talking about hong kong.. and i didnt even know ruby tuesday's was american.. they just had it in hong kong.. so yehh.....
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005 02:56:17 AM by grapefruiit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pammymela

Anyone want a peanut?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2005 05:12:48 AM »

Hey, i just wanted to add that in my small 'outback' town (almost 1000 people) the butcher sells a lot of camel but kangaroos are for dog food...  chicken is hard to get except when it's already cooked.  BBQs are very popular - we go to one once a week and eat - camel, and some cow and pig (but usually not the wild ones).  The boys shot a wild one last weekend - and this weekend we were going to roast it over a fire but I think that will be cancelled - I wasn't looking forward to it anyway...  Most of my male students go shooting for pocket money - Yes the town I live in is 'backward'.

I miss McDonalds etc but I would have to drive 4 hours to get to the nearest one, however two hours away is a Chinese restaurant.   Has anyone mentioned damper and corned beef?  We used to eat that whenever we went camping.   Mmm, damper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zippecar
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2005 08:33:58 AM »

chicken fried steak?? what is that???

Grin Only the finest food known to man, in Texas anyway!!! A traditional CFS (diner shorthand) is a round steak (tenderized because it is probably the toughtest cut off a beef there is) dredged in flour (some prefer a wet batter) and deep fried in fat as you would a piece of chicken. My mom always shallow fried hers in a cast iron skillet and then made the gravy in the drippings. Many a restaurant makes their reputation on their CFS. Some are worth a thirty mile drive, some aren't worth a walk around the block.

Personally, yeast rolls, mashed potatoes and field peas are what I like best with CFS, followed up by a nice long NAP.  Wink

And sweet corn bread is just wrong. IMHO
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please spay or neuter your pet!!!!
Imdee
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2005 09:45:21 AM »

Yes Princess, I have had corn bread and milk.  Even my kids, who are not big milk drinkers, will eat it.  I'm in CA, but my dad is from OK so I'm familiar with a lot of "Okie" cooking.  Have you ever heard of coffee pie?  You break up biscuits in a bowl, add some butter and alot of sugar them pour coffee over it.  Yes it looks disgusting, but it tastes good.  It's actually best with canned biscuits, because good home made biscuits will turn to mush.  Also my dad eats peanut butter on his fried potatoes.  I don't know if it's a southern thing.  I've tried it.  It's a little hard to swallow, but it tastes good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways To Wear A White Dress After Labor Day
Fashions To Help Your Kids Rock The New School Year
New Technology To Fight Against Fake Goods
Teen Choice Awards Best Dressed
Summer 2013 Essential Swimwear
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...