A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: All these American ingredients confuse me...  (Read 36348 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005 08:39:15 AM »

Biscuits and gravy are a breakfast or dinner thing, it just depends. It is a very hardy breakfast, for instance, when my dad and brothers used to go hunting they would have it for breakfast because they would be out there for a long period of time. But the gravy for breakfast is usually sausage gravy, gravy with little bits of sausage cooked in it.Women really take pride in their biscuit recipes and the lighter and fluffier they are, the more highly coveted the recipe. Nothing better than a really good biscuit hot out of the oven with butter and honey. I didn't say it was healthy, just really good.  Grin
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005 08:47:10 AM »

Grin There isn't much that's really healthy about southern food, greens only taste good if they are cooked with copious amounts of salt pork and grits are best dripping with butter.

Um, I'm hungry now.

Please spay or neuter your pet!!!!

my favorite sport? knitting!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005 04:03:25 PM »

More on biscuits and gravy, because it might not be obvious to some.  It's white gravy.  Not brown. 

It can also be served on toast.  And, in this case, we've always called it S-O-S, for Shit On a Shingle.  Gross, but it's apparently some Army thing. 

Now it's the Aussie's turn!  Could you please explain vegemite?  And are there any other Aussie delicacies we should know about?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005 04:05:11 PM by heart_bats » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005 04:32:53 PM »

I love grits with maple syrup & a little butter. I can't have oatmeal or cream-of-wheat, so that's the only hot cereal I can have. (celiac disease sucks.) But I also like them with salt & tons of pepper. Depends on my mood. They're pretty flavorless on their own.
Also, the "country gravy" that came with biscuits at Denny's used to be vegetarian.(it's been years since I went there- I don't know if they still have it on the menu.) Ew! Being a 13-year vegetarian, that's one of the most horrifying concepts- I just never could understand gravy!

she's not just my daughter - she's pop art!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005 04:42:33 PM »

LOL ok heart_bats! Aussie food...

well, vegemite I have to say is an aquired taste. There is a jar in just about every aussies cupboard though. Think shiny black, smooth paste. Very salty. made from yeast extract. mostly used on toast or sandwiches but I have seen many more uses.. like my mum, she's obsessed with the stuff! on eggs, in stews, on rice... you name it!

we don't have all that much food that dates back a long time in mainstream culture (we're only a young country really!) but I 'spose some would be

-meat pies (of course with toato sauce!) - small pastry pies filled with minced beef and a rich gravy
-lammingtons - white cake cut in cubes and covered in runny chocolate and rolled in coconut
pavlova - a large meringue tpopped with whipped cream and frest fruit (although any kiwi's out there might argue that they came up with it! Wink but we claim it, just like we clain Russell Crowe)
-The good old lamb roast! pleanty of gravy plese!

in the last few decades there are more 'Aussie foods' though.. like game meat (crocodile, kangaroo, emu and such), bush foods (meaning spices and the like that grow native in the 'outback' (fyi - we never say 'outback'!) .. um

of course the good old junk foods! crunchie bars, violet crumbles, red rooster

any other aussies like to add to this?

"I craft, therefore I am"
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005 05:00:53 PM »

More on biscuits and gravy, because it might not be obvious to some.  It's white gravy.  Not brown. 

It can also be served on toast.  And, in this case, we've always called it S-O-S, for Shit On a Shingle.  Gross, but it's apparently some Army thing. 

Now it's the Aussie's turn!  Could you please explain vegemite?  And are there any other Aussie delicacies we should know about?
Actually, the gravy for S-O-S is made with dried chipped beef. Yes good, if you don't have high blood pressure.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005 05:03:39 PM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005 05:26:08 PM »

There are differences in what we call things...
Like "peanut butter and jelly"... 
Jelly to an Australian is a dessert made of gelatine powder...you know, that is cut up and put into triffles (A dessert that is a mix of sherry soaked cake, custard etc.) or used in those "frog/toad in a hole" type desserts.
Australians call sandwich spreadable "jelly" jam. 

Bagels are not really a popular thing here...(I've only had them once...when they were a "New Taste" at MacDonalds..)  We don't really have pretzels here, either.  Well...we have the little crunchy ones...but not the big doughy ones that are popular in America.  Aussies don't enjoy pop tarts much either.  I don't know anyone who has them for breakfast...except for when they were first introduced.   

Australia has a lot of "bush tucker", edible....wild plants.  "Witchity grubs" (excuse my spelling) are these thick-3inchlong-shiney-white worms that are enjoyed by indigenous Australians.  Indigenous Australians also have permits that allow them to eat turtle and dugong.

I've only had crocodile once, and the meat was white and chewy.  Kangaroo is more like your red, beefy meats...and although humans can eat it, it is often used in dog foods here.  (We have an excess of kangaroos and crocodiles here...its not like we'd eat them if they were endangered..)  Even though we've had croc and kangaroo available for about 10 years....most Aussies stick to beef, lamb, chicken, and fish.  And of course, shelled seafood.   

I personally, think American desserts are a lot sweeter (almost sickly sweet) in comparison to Australian dessert foods..  I dunno, perhaps it is just the stuff that is brought over here.     

We first got Vanilla Coke and Coke with a twist of Lemon and or Lime about 2-3 years ago.  I rarely ever see Hershey's chocolates in Australia. 
There are a lot of "fish and chip" stores in Australia.  I can think of 7 in my town, off the top of my head. 
I live in a regional town of about 150 000 people and I can go out and have Greek, South American, African, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, and "American" any night of the week.  Gotta love multiculturalism.   

I have a Blog @ MySpace.
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005 06:52:26 PM »

If you are just dying to try out some American food and Southern Home Cooking, go to http://www.recipezaar.com and go to town.

They shoot heroin, don't they?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005 07:06:11 PM »

That has all the basics (and then some) to Southern/Soul food. You know what, reading that article I had no idea that rice pudding or meat loaf were considered soul food! You learn something everyday.

Ugh. Chitterlings not only sound nasty, but they smell and taste horrible! Or at least the kind I had smelt bad. Country fried steak is pretty nasty too. But then again, I really don't like fried foods.

I loved eating grits with butter when I was younger. It's great to eat on a cold day.  Cheesy
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005 07:14:50 PM »

OMG.....Chicken fried steak is the best meal in the world.  I am assuming that is what you mean when you write Country Fried Steak.  Also, the biscuits that I make do have yeast in them.  Ya'll are all correct....biscuits are best straight out of the oven with real butter on them.  I also love grits but we eat it at lunch or dinner.  It is cooked on the stove and then mixed with cheese, salt, pepper and tabasco sauce and cooked in the oven.  To me, biscuits and scones are two totally different things but then again, I do not know that I have ever had a good scone.   Roll Eyes And speaking of southern food, have you ever eatten corn bread mushed up in a glass with milk and sugar??  mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have a Sharpie addiction.  eemmm...In Fact, I am the President of the Sharpie relocation program. 
Newest addiction....PINCUSHIONS!!
I love personal swaps!

My wist:  http://www.wists.com/princessandthebead

I collect business cards and would LOVE to add yours to my collection!  Email me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Spooky Halloween Shrubs
Tute Tuesday: No Sew Candy Costume
Awww, nuts...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...