A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,362
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 42
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: All these American ingredients confuse me...  (Read 31455 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emapril
Emilisaurus

She'll be comin' 'round the mountain...

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 25, 2006 06:45:14 AM »

I found this site and I thought I would share it. It is a help-site for Swedes using international recepies. It's got a glossary and stuff. It also tells you what to substitute things with... It's really all in Swedish though.. Smiley I'll definately be hogging it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emapril
Emilisaurus

She'll be comin' 'round the mountain...

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 25, 2006 06:46:45 AM »

Oh, and another tiny question:

Is granulated sugar the same as brown sugar?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #362 on: August 25, 2006 06:55:45 AM »

I can't believe that corn syrup and cane syrup are interchangeable.  I suppose you could get by with it, but corn and sugar cane are entirely different and the sweet syrup they yield surely has different flavor.

I just read this answer on a website:     http://www.ochef.com/476.htm "Your treacle tarts are unlikely to taste as good as you remember without the use of honest-to-goodness golden syrup, but if you must, you can try substituting it with 2 parts light corn syrup and 1 part molasses or equal parts of honey and light corn syrup." 

My mouth is watering and I though I have never had it, I must get ahold of some of this golden syrup stuff....

Oh, and another tiny question:

Is granulated sugar the same as brown sugar?

Not at all!  Brown sugar is white sugar with molasses mixed in. Brown sugar has a slightly moist texture and when you measure it, you have to pack it into the measuring cup.   It is not the same as natural or unrefined sugar.  Brown sugar can be light or dark (I always prefer dark).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mirax
« Reply #363 on: August 25, 2006 09:33:08 AM »

Hei!

I live in Finland and often have same problems as you have.
Instead of buttermilk I use Piim, which is Surmjlk (spelling???) in Swedish. That works fine and tastes great. Maybe you can get that easier in shops.

Mirax
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: August 25, 2006 03:26:48 PM »

BIG hug
I just had pannekoeken this morning Tongue
If you ever want anything just ask, I have the same thing with certain english food products? But man, I cant stand to think of not having pannekoeken (yeh only that) cause thats all the boy can make here.. I'd be eating dry bread for the rest of my life every time he cooks!
*hugs back*

Heh, I love the Dutch pannekoeken so much! I miss them. You can do almost anything with them. Far more then with the American ones, which I also love, but you can't compare the two, really. As for the English stuff, yeah, I miss a lot of that, too. It's the little things you take for granted, you miss most, isn't it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
Red Alibi

Change IS a Sound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: August 25, 2006 05:21:13 PM »

don't you have a recipie for them? cause they're dead simple to make from scratch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: August 25, 2006 05:49:11 PM »

no I don't. I used to make the mixes from AH, the multi or four grain ones. I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for something that'd come out tasting the same
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
silbi

Crafting is a lifelong itch of mine

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 25, 2006 06:00:37 PM »

i tried to use baking soda instead of powder in some corn muffins and blech! i learned my lesson!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zemolina
« Reply #368 on: August 25, 2006 06:11:52 PM »

Actually Tablespoons can be different, in NZ a tablespoon is 15ml and in Australia it's 20ml.
And yes, golden syrup is good for baking, yum!  The one annoying thing about american recipes: a "stick" of butter.  From what I've read online  sticks can be completely different weights depending on who/where the recipe is written as aswell :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhiandmoi
« Reply #369 on: August 25, 2006 07:51:52 PM »

Actually Tablespoons can be different, in NZ a tablespoon is 15ml and in Australia it's 20ml.
And yes, golden syrup is good for baking, yum!  The one annoying thing about american recipes: a "stick" of butter.  From what I've read online  sticks can be completely different weights depending on who/where the recipe is written as aswell :/

A stick is a volume measurment and is half a cup, so about 120 mL.
But it is also  a 1/4 pound (a pints a pound the world round)  which is about 113 grams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 42 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fruit Sandwiches
How to Make Bavarian Cream
How to Make Kasutera Sponge Cake
How to Make Italian Ice Cream
How to Make Almond Pudding
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...