A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,540
Currently Running With Scissors:
699 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Senior Year Autograph Sweatshirt  (Read 2421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 28, 2005 10:30:20 PM »

When I was in high school, a friend at camp had us all sign her jeans.  A couple months later, I saw her wearing the jeans--and she had embroidered over all the signatures.  I didn't know how to embroider, and I figured denim would be really hard to work with, but I thought that was the greatest idea ever, and I decided to make my own senior year sweatshirt.
Front:

Back:
(in case you're wondering, our school mascot was the beaver)
Like I said, I figured out how to embroider by doing this sweatshirt.  I felt pretty accomplished when I could figure out how to make the stitched-over version look like a natural signature, including all the stray penstrokes but not making them look too significant.

I figured out how to do rough versions of the chain stitch and the satin stitch (and they got much better as the project went on).  Chain stitch was faster, but satin stitch was necessary when I had to cover thick marker lines.

The work got tedious at times, but it got much easier as I figured out how to embroider.  I didn't do it all at once.  Each time I wore it, I got more signatures.  Once I had those embroidered, I'd wear it again and get more.  I took it to school, to family gatherings, and to places where I'd see friends from other towns.  I started in the fall of my senior year, and ended at graduation.  When I went to college out of state, it was really nice to sort of have all those people with me.  And pulling it out of the closet today brought back a flood of memories--and puzzled head-scratches (because some of those people were close friends, while others were short-term acquaintances). 

I'll probably never wear this sweatshirt again--after all, it's a huge sweatshirt in the style of the early 1990s--but it's the only item in my closet that is guaranteed never to end its life as a shower-scrubbin' rag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
she

Make Poverty History

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005 05:54:42 AM »

wow - your embroidery is fabulous! and you are so right - that is a brilliant idea!!! and you never know..... 90's fashion might come back........ Maybe  Undecided

Anyway, please keep your promise never to use it as a rag!!!!!

Great Job x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting is SEW fun
bluecat158
bad influence

aww... i wanted to explode...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005 04:13:44 PM »

great idea Smiley  at my HS, a piece of paper went around with the year we graduated in BIG numbers (00 for me) and everyone signed in the zeroes, so the autograph shirt is still around, and from time to time i've been known to sleep in my shirt.  i don't know if i'd have the patience to embroider all names (there were only 56 of us, though), but if i actually liked the people i graduated with, i might have given it a try Wink  when i dig the shirt back out, i'll try to remember to take pics of it.  my soccer shirt, on the other hand, is one of my prized possessions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You haven't touched it?  Something is broken and it's not your fault?"

"I know - I'm scared too!"
IAte86Crayons
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005 06:27:55 PM »

Aww how momentous (am I even using that word right? lol). I'll be starting my senior year next week. I'll definitely think about doing this instead of just the yearbook... or maybe I could do my school pants or shirt (we wear uniforms). I think an embroidered oxford would look neat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005 07:45:31 PM »

I had quite a few shirts with markered signatures on them, too...and they always got worn out so fast.  And I didn't want that cheesy "slick paint" look all over something I'd wear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
carmenita

Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005 09:24:51 PM »

Fantastic! Great idea. How did you do it? I love it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
requestpending

Not Just Another Face In The Crowd

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005 10:09:16 AM »

Wow! That's very coolio! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming
Or the moment of truth in your lies
When everything seems like the movies
Yeah you bleed just to know your alive
-Goo Goo Dolls
roads
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005 03:38:48 PM »

wow when i first looked at it, i thought it was actually written on.  i'm like, why is this on craftster.  cheese and rice that's amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skip this pretense and cut straight to dying
PinkBalletShoes
...Oh, she's a crafty one, she is...

.:Drama Queen.. in the most literal sense:.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005 04:29:45 PM »

You inspire me to learn how to embroider. I'll be a senior next year and would LOVE to do this for myself.. shirt or something? How cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Millions of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free- Look out!-
Retro_Turtle13

Im a Barbie Girl! In a Barbie World...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005 04:33:17 PM »

That is really neat and a great way to remember!!  Smiley Nice work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit Grannyscupboard.net for great bath products made of all natural ingrediants. Soaps,Bath Balls, Shower Gels, Bubble Bath, Luxurious handcrafted soaps, and more. They are all at your fingertips! Go now!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Decorate Your Gift Wrapped Bottle
How to Wrap a Square Ended Box
How to Perfectly Wrap an Awkward Shaped Gift
How to Create a Fabric Bow to Decorate a Gift
How to Create a Gift Tag Using Wrapping Paper
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...