I just finished this dress today, all but the hem. It's an A-line halter dress. I actually took apart another dress of mine and used it to make a pattern for this one. Enjoy!
HERE YOU GO!
Bare with me, this is my first Tutorial:
As mentioned above, I took apart a halter dress I think I bought at Hot Topic a few years back to make the pattern. Here is a rough sketch of the 16 pieces needed:
1. After cutting out the pieces (which took way less then 3 yards of fabric), I pinned the back skirt panels (I) together and stitched, leaving about a foot or so at the top for the back zipper.
2. Then I pinned and stitched the back skirt panels (I) to the front skirt panel (F) at the side seams.
press seams & set the skirt aside to work on the top...
3. Pin the strap pieces right sides together (A & B), baste and stitch, leaving about 6 inches at the outside curved end to attached to the front
4. Pin, baste and stitch the 3 lower front panels (G, E & G) together, press seams.
Now this is where it gets hard to explain:
5. Take the 4 top, front panels (C, C, D, & D), C = the outside and D = the inside (lining) or the bust area. For each panel you're going to make 2 folds, each approximately 1 inch up and baste (you'll do this 4 times).
6. Then, for each side (left and right) you pin two right sides together and stitch the top seam.
Turn right side out and press
7. Open both top front pieces, pin together at center seam, baste and stitch *Make sure that your seams line up, including the folds which you basted. Press seams, fold down and press again.
This makes a bikini like bust front.
8. Now you're going to line up the lower front pieces which are already stitched together, and the top front pieces. Start with the center of each and pin right sides together, baste and stitch
9. Once the front of the top is constructed, you're going to attach the straps
Pin curves together on each side, baste & Stitch
10. Hem the top edge of both back panels (H)
11. Pin the back panels (H) to the front sides, you may need to trim the front sides a bit to make the pieces line up. Baste and stitch.
Now your top is compete
12. Start with the center of the top and skirt, pin right sides together. Baste & Stitch.
13. Baste the back seam together to install the zipper, press seam open.
Pin Zipper and baste. Then complete. Remove basted seam stitches once zipper is complete to create opening.
14. Finishing touches... add hook and eye at top of zipper, remove any left over basting stitches, hem, press and tah dah!!!