A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: too many future projects!  (Read 1842 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gloriana
« on: April 19, 2004 11:40:38 AM »

I find I'm getting a little out of control lately with buying yarn for new projects.  I'm a pretty fast knitter and I (usually) tend to complete projects that I start, but lately I've been snapping up yarn for future projects right and left.  Partly it's b/c I'm wanting to knit all these little tank tops and they only require 2-3 balls of yarn and so it's easy and cheapish to get sucked into buying it...  In the future projects queue are:
* the fluffy camisole from Weekend Knitting
* the jewelled shell from Knitty
* the "Salt Peanuts" cardigan from Interweave Knits
* the little black top from Stitch n' Bitch
* the camisole from the cover of Vintage Knits

(I'm currently knitting the cobweb shawl from Magknits.  Plus there's the halfway-done chenille throw from Erika Knight's Comforts of Home that's been on hold since December.)

So I've got projects to last until the end of the summer, at least.  So what's the problem?  I can't stop!!  A friend just sent me a link to a super-cute pattern from ChicKnits, and now I'm thinking about that!  Help me!!!

Does anyone else out there do this?  Am I a freak?  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
jazminecat
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004 01:26:54 PM »

I am no help at all.  I learned a name for this 'disease' - It's called stash enhancement
 Grin
  I am notoriously weak when it comes to yarn - and recently sorted it all out into bins - which I kid you not now reach, when stacked, to my chin.  I have a 5 foot tower o' yarn, and not all of it is for a specific project.  So don't think you're crazy!  Just ambitious.  Plus, having it all around to look at is inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amareluna
Head Nerd at Nyxia's Lair

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004 01:41:49 PM »

And don't think it's limited to YARN!

My better half says I have SOAP OCD. I'm constantly looking at things and going- can I pour soap into that? Can I add that to a soap? How would that smell in a lotion?

Our kitchen is getting new 8' wide shelving units so I can store my various soaping supplies...and still I buy more *grin*

I prefer your definition..stash enhancement

I think it should be defined by an acute urge to accumulate items to be used in creating something.

Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004 05:35:12 PM »

I'm having this problem too.  I'm usually pretty good about having just one or two projects at a time.  But lately, I just want to do a million things.  As soon as I start one project, I wish it was another.  

I've also been buying yarn.  I bought a ball of sliver ribbon yarn the other day and I have no idea where it is.  It's been absorbed by the house.  My notes, patterns and reference books have taken over the living room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004 07:10:25 PM »

I have a bad tendency of not finishing items.  I've got three sweaters waiting to be seamed up.  My felted slippers waited months before they made it into the washing machine for a proper felting.  And there is a mountain of yarn in one corner of the house.  

I'm trying very hard to not start a bunch of projects at once.  

My list of projects to start includes:
- Bed & Breakfast sweater -- IK (Winter 2003?)
- Many pairs of Fuzzy Feet -- Knitty.com
- A pair of socks
- A sweater -- Yarn Girls Guide
- Ballet Neck cardigan - IK (Spring 2004)
- Wrap around sleeveless top - IK (Spring 2004)
- Fliptop mittens
And I think there's more I am forgeting!

I've been pretty good recently about not buying yarn.  I need to get my stash reduced by at least 25% before I can justify buying more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinygoatstacker

Why can't puffins eat pancakes instead?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004 11:02:03 PM »

Oh, definitely! I'm a fast knitter, but I amass project ideas & yarn much more quickly than I finish projects. I usually end up working on several things at once. Right now, I'm making a shawl, a second sock, the Lopi Lace Scarf from "Weekend Knits" and the Lace Camisole from "Vintage Knits."
I don't even want to think about how much stuff I want to knit...  Smiley My main problem is that I've been using old patterns that call for tiny yarn, lots of stitches, & little needles (2's & 3's).  I've been fortunate to find cool knitting books at the library, too, to make my list even longer.
The main things on my list are "Bad Penny" from Knitty, "Paris Loop" from Magknits, and about half of the "Vintage Knits" and "Weekend Knits" books.  Eek!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bumblebees, bumblebees... tiny and small, tiny and small....
gloriana
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004 06:58:29 AM »

glad to know I'm not alone!  it kind of helps to talk about it, doesn't it?  and to make a list of the stuff that's waiting to be made....  for some reason I find it therapeutic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
lizajane73
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004 07:46:59 AM »

I agree - I just sat down to make that list last night (secretly trying to justify buying more yarn), and it covered an entire page of notebook paper! And of course, none of it used up the yarn I've already bought...  

But it was nice to be able to corral everything in one place...

The biggies coming up are:

"Marissa" top from Berroco,
Hoodie from SNB, and
Assorted summer tops from Filatura, Rebecca and Elann

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.knitvixen.com - Good Patterns for Bad Girls
himeykitty
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004 09:51:04 AM »

I'm the same way....I just bought Weekend Knitting and printed out a bunch of patterns from Knitty and various other sites.  Fortunately I have the stash to match the pattern lust, just not the time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Add me to the list of knitbloggers:
http://kittyknit.blogspot.com
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004 10:23:07 AM »

I think it's genetic in my family...my mom's a quilter and has SO much fabric that she stashes for various unclaimed projects, my sister knits and buys yarn for so many projects that she has going at one time, and my dad buys wood for "future projects."  I have the tendency to buy yarn and for a specific project, but by the time I get around to doing so, I've either a) forgotten what it's for or b) changed my mind about it and decided to use it for something else.

Right now, these are the projects I'm dying to do:
      *Cherry Twist from Knitty
      *Grace from Knitty
      *Fuzzy Jacket - straw.com, made from "shag" yarn
      *Hug on Magknits
      *Fingerless gloves of some sort
      *Keyhole scarf
      *Big Sack sweater in SNB
      *Various projects that I saw in "Yarn Girls Guide..." don't own it yet, but my b-day is next thursday and we're hoping...
      *Cami on cover of Vintage Knits

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fostering Your Child’s Inner Fashionista on a Budget
How to Dress Your Little Boy Like A Celebrity Kid for Less
Angelina Jolie and Stella McCartney Design Kids Line
Bonnie Young Kids Fall14
Kardashian Kids to Launch at Babies R Us
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...