A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 307,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
380 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hurricane Katrina  (Read 17080 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ingysoup
« on: August 28, 2005 02:17:42 PM »

Well, as I watch the news as this catastrophic event is about to happen, I just feel useless.  I live in Florida and feel guilty that I am glad that this has not hit us, especially after last years dose here.  I also feel rather helpless as I watch thousands of people trying to evacuate or find safe shelter in the SuperDome, knowing full well that in their efforts they may be harmed.

So, what to do?Huh  I know right at this moment I can do nothing but pray...but afterwards there will be plenty to do.  And I was wondering if we might try to start some type of crafty-selling/whatever to raise funds for these people and pets too?

Does anyone feel the same way?  Do you have any ideas?  Perhaps with all our crafty people, we could get some national attention to sell our wares and donate the money??? 

I'd love some feedback, and send all my good thoughts to all that live in Katrina's way.

Sincerely,
Ingrid
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KnittyMomma

28 Her children arise and call her blessed

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005 10:13:06 PM »

i was thinking the exact same thing. I have a friend of mine who already knows her home and everything will be lost so I have been busy knitting blankets and hats (she has a 3 year old and an 8 month old and she is caring for a pregnant woman whom she is going to adopt the baby when it's born).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knittymomma.blogspot.com

Proverbs 31:28-29

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
       her husband also, and he praises her:
29 "Many women do noble things,
       but you surpass them all."
ingysoup
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005 06:20:28 AM »

OMG  Knitty Momma.  How awful!!! 

That's very kind of you to be knitting things for them.

And is she a great person for taking care of the pregnant woman, and then to adopt the baby???  Wow!!!  I am impressed.

I am trying to find a flyer re: a craft show coming up locally...grrr, my paperwork is a mess.  But, I am thinking of contacting them to see if any other booth's would want to donate some proceeds to the Red Cross or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ILiveForJesus
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005 06:35:12 AM »

we can make pillows and blankets and stuff like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carly Caron

Hey this is my goat Millie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005 06:46:47 AM »

I was just thinking this exact same thing and you beat me to posting it!  Shocked  Wink I'm glad we've got some craftsters who are thinking the same way in terms of saving the world! Lets do this!!! Grin Grin Grin 

Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If the world didn't suck a little bit, then we'd all fall off...

http://www.kurlie77.etsy.com/
sporkx71

Like anything I made? http://sporkx71.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005 07:15:44 AM »

i live in mississippi and they cancelled school and they have shelters set up at churchs but its not too bad yet. i still have power (obviously). its REALLY windy and its raining so hard that you cant drive because you cant see. the streets are starting to flood. my backyard has this stream thing thats flooded. it was so weird going into walmart because everyone is flipping out buying a shopping cart's worth of water and another shopping cart of bread. all the batteries and flashlights have been gone since 8am....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like anything I've made? BUY it here: http://sporkx71.etsy.com
Carly Caron

Hey this is my goat Millie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005 10:51:16 AM »

So how should we get started?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If the world didn't suck a little bit, then we'd all fall off...

http://www.kurlie77.etsy.com/
plucky1_08

Breath In. Breath Out. Move On.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005 06:27:20 PM »

So, what to do?Huh  I know right at this moment I can do nothing but pray...but afterwards there will be plenty to do.  And I was wondering if we might try to start some type of crafty-selling/whatever to raise funds for these people and pets too?

Ingrid

This to me is the best idea...Damages are estimated at over $2 billion already and they are only just beginning to see the damage done.  I know everyone wants to help and if you know someone there and know specifically what they need and have someplace to send it then make them something, otherwise the Red Cross needs money.  Not only do they have this clean up but what about the next one or the fires in California where many people have lost everything.  There are houses to rebuild, people to feed, whole cities need to be cleaned up.  I understand about being broke, trust me, I work two jobs just to pay the bills which is why crafts are great.  You can craft, sell it, then donate the money.  Or contact your local Red Cross chapter and find out what they are excepting as far as donations go.  They might want blankets but find out before you just start making things, it would be a waste to find out they wouldn't take them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AllieStar
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005 08:06:03 PM »

i'm so glad someone posted about Katrina here! i've been thinking and thinking of what can i do, how can i help, etc.

i live in South Carolina, and my twin sister lives in Louisiana. so i was obviously very worried, she's my best friend! she lives in the northern part of the state, or the "boot".  she's okay and doing well, thankfully! it's so terrible to see the pictures of New Orleans and to see all the damage that's been done to surrounding states. i hope everyone is okay. craftsters & their families/friends!

Or contact your local Red Cross chapter and find out what they are excepting as far as donations go.  They might want blankets but find out before you just start making things, it would be a waste to find out they wouldn't take them.
this is a great idea!! thank you. i plan on calling tomorrow and seeing if i can donate anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee. myspace. cupcakes. flickr. embroidery.
NEW! my crafty blog >> ice pink stars!
ILiveForJesus
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005 03:47:16 PM »

I just found out that there is an organization that lets you sell cell phones but you can also donate them to the victims of Katrina!

One time my mom ruined her phone so we went to verizon and the guy (he has fixed just about every phone of ours that has been broken) brought out this bag with lots of cell phones and he just gave us one. He said all the cell phones had problems that they could fix but they just didn't have the time and some were phones that people gave when they got new phones. So they could be donated but they are just not thinking.

The Organization is www.sellyourcell.org
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Kitty Floss Holders
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: DIY Dryer Sheets
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Cozies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...