A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's everyone doing for Halloween this year???  (Read 12647 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wearbrown
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2005 01:52:57 AM »

Haha! That is excellent! I'd love to see that.

I think that's the one I'm going to push her towards. It was one of my ideas a couple years ago but I ran out of time and never used it(I ended up being Van Gogh instead) and I still love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patriautism
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2005 01:55:17 PM »

My husband wants us to dress up like intergalactic but somehow Russian 80's rock stars with a vaguely sexual agenda. I want to be Barbarella. Almost the same thing. I really want to do Barbarella but he wanted to do the alien rock star thing last year and we didn't---so I'm probably going to cave. It'll be fun anyway! We are going to see our favorite band, Babyland! In light of this I'm leaning towards the alien rock stars---I don't want to try moshing in gogo boots. I'm the type that trips over crap that's not even there, that just screams "faceplant every five seconds."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amphigorey
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2005 02:53:46 PM »

I've been wanting to go as Akasha from Queen of the Damned for a couple of years now, but I can't figure out how to do the top part of the costume.  I was thinking of using latex.  Ezri B, any suggestions on where to get the latex, or the best way to use it?  The tit-head costume is such a great idea...is he going to wear a bra on top?

My other idea came from the "Creative Halloween Costumes" thread.  Somebody mentioned being a silent film star.  I want to make everything black and white.  From my skin to my hair, to the clothes....not stark black and white, but more of a grayscale, to look like I actually stepped out of a film.  Also mentioned in the other thread, was carrying around cards to represent the text screens in the film.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to decorate a window that has shutters (so you see it from the outside)?  I don't want to just do decals.  The only things i can come up with are christmas type lights in orange and purple, or spooky silhouettes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
halblingefrau

Skillz. I has dem.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2005 03:17:08 PM »

Well I am going to be a hobbit this halloween.  I'm a little scared, since I haven't sewed clothing before and I'm a size bigger than the pattern goes.  But I figure between  y'all and my mom (definately good at sewing), I should pull it together. 

As for plans, I'm just going to stay home and pass out candy and watch all the fabulous shows on Food TV, The Learning Channel, and Discovery.  BEST programming of the year.  I wanted to put up a few tombstones in my "front yard" (which is a small patch of dirt outside my apt.).  If I can convince them, I will probably have a couple friends over and we will make halloweeny treats.  One of my friends referred me to this site, so I'm sure she'll come by early and we can make decorations (those shrunken heads look fabulous).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog | Wists

PM me for personal swaps.
Ezri_B
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2005 03:37:33 PM »

Ok, I just can't help myself. Here is a sneak peak at our TitHead costume. We ended up using "Watermelon" which is used like latex, but it is actually a vinyl, so you don't have to use spirit gum to adhere it, you use isopropyl alcohol instead. Anyway, here is our dry run. It was super hot and we used cheaper makeup so it is flaking a bit. We have better stuff for the actual costume day. We have made improvements to it, and will make even more, but I'm too darn excited not to share.

If you are looking for a good supplier for mask making supplies (like mask making latex) I suggest here (Reasonable overall prices, and EXCELLENT service!!) Also they have pretty much anything you could possibly need.
http://www.fxsupply.com/ They also have some nice free tutorials and also great books to buy.

Making latex masks the right way can get really expensive, just so you know. It doesn't take long.

The "Watermelon" stuff that we used is from this site, but it is REALLY expensive!
http://www.michaeldavy.com/

If you are looking for something made out of latex, but it won't actually be applied to your body like a mask, then I would go with a different grade of latex, because it would be much cheaper! Still very fun to work with. My sons have some awesome demon wings we made them out of wire, liquid latex, paper towel, cardboard, and elastic. I'll have to post some pics soon of those.

Any questions I am happy to answer if I can. I'm not super experienced at this, mainly I tinker. But I do know people who do this quite frequently, so I could always ask them if I don't know the answer myself.

tab
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005 03:39:34 PM by Ezri_B » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amphigorey
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2005 09:09:25 AM »

Thanks for the links. Both of those costumes are great!  I was actually thinking of using latex on my boobs  Embarrassed.  The top as you can see has no straps.  I thought maybe I could make a latex mold of my "chest", and then find a way to attach the cups when I wear the costume.  I don't want to get the latex that you just paint on your body, as that seems a little too bare for me.  Do you think it would be possible to get the latex cups to "stick" to my chest? and is there a certain kind I should use? Any advice would be helpful...and thanks again for posting the tit-head picture...priceless.  Here is a picture of the costume from the movie:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2005 10:06:00 AM »

You could absolutely make the bra cups out of latex, you would want mask making latex for that though. The breasts are generally more sensitive to things than your face, so you wouldn't want a lower grade attached to your body.

What I would do if I was making it out of latex would be....

1. Create a lifecast of your chest, you would need alginate to make the mold out of. You would want to be standing when your chest is life cast so that your boobs are sitting in the right position. Then some lucky person gets to smear the mixed up alginate on your chest. You let it dry (like 20 minutes tops) You would probably want to put plaster bandages on the outside of the alginate so that you have something a bit firmer to work with, it gives a rigidness to the alginate. Then you would wiggle and let the alginate lose suction on your chest. Then you would want to fill it with a type of plaster. If you are simply making one set of boob cups and you don't care about having a cool plaster form of your chest, then I would go with plaster of paris (it's cheap and available everywhere) if you want to save it, or if you are planning on making other costume pieces that involve molding things on your boobs, then I would go with ultracal (cheaper and pretty darn good) or hydracal (not cheap at all) After the plaster has hardened you now have a life cast of your chest!

2. With your lifecast, you can take oil based clay to make up what you want the bra cups to look like.

3. Then you need to make a negative of this molded chest. You basically fill a box or container (that you can destroy if needed) with plaster then you suspend the lifecast with molded boobs over, so that the chest pieces are fully in the plaster. (I'm not explaining this well, but it isn't too difficult, you just have to think it out) The clay and plaster cast should have a mold release of some sort on it, (not exactly sure which would be best, but you might be able to get away with a thin coat of vaseline or oil. Let me think on it.)
4. Now after this has dried you separate the two pieces. You clean all of the clay off of both pieces.
5. Fill up the negative with the molded cups with mask quality liquid latex (not to the top, you'll need the same amount as you used clay.) Then put your clayfree lifecast on top and sandwich your lifecast's boobs inside the negative. then let dry. When it is all said and done, you would have a wonderful quality perfectly fitting to your body, boob cups.
6.You can then paint them with a little liquid latex paint, or acrylics mixed with a bit of liquid latex.

To attach them you will need spirit gum. And you'll want spirit gum remover!

It would look absolutely awesome, but it is a lot of work and money for the average Halloween party. So make sure you realize what you are getting into before you put down that much money.

If you made the same bra cups out of something else ( a light clay?, or fun foam [I've seen some awesome costumes made out of fun foam! http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html is one tutorial to give you an idea] or any other material even fabric maybe) then you could still attach them with spirit gum it works on nearly anything, just so you know.

Boobs aren't the easiest area to work on, but it should be do-able for a first project. Easier than a face mask for sure!

Boy, I guess this got sort of long, but this is a basic run down of what is involved. If you were interested in going with the Water-melon stuff I also mentioned it works up just like the liquid latex, the only difference is that it is attached to the body with 99% isopropyl alcohol (the 96% or whatever you find in drug stores is good enough though) and the edges are basically seamless. And no remover is needed. (It's a bit expensive though.) Both would be waterproof.

Anything else let me know.
tab
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amphigorey
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2005 04:35:27 PM »

Wow, I can't thank you enough for such great instructions! Grin  I am so excited now, it looks like this will be the year I can finally make the costume!

I am definately going to try this; if it doesn't work out, at least i'll have some experience for future latex work.  I'll probably order the latex and alginate soon, but do you know of any stores or types of stores that carry them?

I was thinking of trying the watermelon product for a better bond, but i'm a bit confused....does the watermelon dissolve partially in the application process?  Would I have to modify the cups to accomidate this?

And as far as how well spirit gum holds, could it slide off with sweat or water or just after a couple of hours of wear?

And lastly, is the alginate applied directly to the skin...more specifically, will it stick to any fine body hair (that I might not realize is there)?

Thank you again so much!  When I start, I'll try to take pictures of the process or at least the final product.  Can't wait!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenthezero
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2005 07:31:38 AM »

I work at an amusement park part-time, and we're allowed to wear costumes every day in October.  I will be working six days in October, but I only have three costume ideas:
1.  Clown.  I have a clown suit.  All I need is a new wig and some good makeup.  I might do this one twice, just because I love clowns and they scare the livin' bejesus out of people and it's funny.   Cheesy
2.  Pilot.  The Flying Coaster (http://www.coastergallery.com/2000/E42.html) is my favorite ride to operate, and I have a pilot costume themed to that ride.
3.  Tanooki.  I'm going to make a Tanooki suit like the one in Super Mario Bros 3.

I'm still looking for some more ideas, though, for costumes that can be worn in the freeze-your-ass-off cold (last Halloween it was 20 degrees in Denver).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My middle name is Martha!
Ezri_B
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2005 09:52:24 AM »

Amphigorey sorry it took me a bit to respond. I'm so excited for you, I can't wait to see pictures. I know there are stores that you can buy the stuff at, but I don't know any names. I live sort of in the middle of nowhere, so my stuff is ordered online. I know alginate can be bought sometimes through dental supply places, (yellow pages might help) otherwise, like I said, I order online. Latex you might find at an all year type of costume place, or if you have a local theatre or something you could see if they have someone they buy makeup and such from.
The watermelon stuff is only made and sold by one guy, so if you go to his website, there are a few (and I mean FEW) places that sell his stuff, but I think there is only one that sells it in liquid form, otherwise again, online.

And about the watermelon, the alcohol does technically dissolve the the thing a little, but it is so little you don't notice, you would have to dunk a piece in a huge bowl of alcohol and it would still probably take years to completely dissolve it! So don't adjust at all for that.

Spirit gum is a pain sort of, but it is one of the best things at securing things to the body. It shouldn't come off with sweat or anything if properly applied, granted if someone came and ripped it off it would come off (with either the watermelon or the latex). But they'd really have to pull. But do get the spirit gum remover, and you will need to be patient it takes a bit of time to remove carefully.

Either method you use, bring extra alcohol (watermelon) or spirit gum (latex) just in case you need it to the party or whatever.

Oh, and alginate will stick to hair. Fine hair isn't such a pain problem but if you're worried, slather a little petroleum jelly (vaseline) on before you alginate to help out.

Please keep me posted Wink

tab
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Difference Between Setting the Stage and Telling a Story
How to Use a 50 mm Lens
How to Understand color Theory
How to Develop a Rapport with the Subject
How to Understand Different Camera Variations
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...