A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Binding with Record Covers??  (Read 982 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

torilimcadle
« on: August 28, 2005 09:25:10 AM »

For Christmas (Yes, I know it's too early to be thinking about it) I am making my friends record bowls.  I wanted to use the covers in some way, so I thought it would be good to make a journal of of them.  The only problem is, I have mo clue how!  I searched, but not too much came up.  I figured that all you craftsterers out there are just so talented, you could help me out here.  So, any suggestions?

Thanks!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
-Noam Chomsky.
brie_lauren
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005 10:15:42 AM »

my best guess would to be follow this cassette tape jacket journal tute except alter a little bit, like fold the cover so it has a binding type part...

hope that helped, post pics when you finish

http://photobucket.com/albums/v106/bottlecaps/tutorial/?action=view&current=DSCN0639.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
torilimcadle
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005 05:05:09 PM »

There's only one problem -

Album covers don't hsve an area like that.  I'm planning on cutting up the main picture, cutting something from the other side out, and putting it together that way.  So, there would be no room like that.  Thanks though!

Hey, does anyone know if they make those rings (where you can open them and put motecards or whatever) in smaller sizes?  I think they are called binder rings, but not sure.  That would work.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Noam Chomsky.
Kraftyladee
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005 05:17:07 PM »

Hey all! I'm a newby here but a veteran at all kinds of crafts. I'm hoping to learn a little and share a little.

A gal at work had a purse made from the front of an album cover. It was so awesome! It had grommits on the sides and it was laced together with a piece of heavy fabric between the front and back that made the sides and bottom. Can't remember what the handle was made from. Maybe you could do a search and find the instructions. Sorry, but all I have is the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jadey_mcshadey

kys mig, jeg er dansk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005 07:13:11 PM »

You should be able to get binding rings in different sizes at an office supplies store. If you want them really, really tiny, maybe you could use jump rings?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
janer

all my friends are skeletons

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005 07:34:03 PM »

Holy cow, what a rad idea! I have so many old albums that I don't listen to, I was going to make an art chair out of them... I could make something from the covers, too! Wee! Thanks for the idea!

Onto the binding part... I make handmade journals, what I do is cut the outer to the size of the finished book, put the paper inside, then i use clamps, or you could use those heavy duty clips from office stores... and then using a small drill bit and a drill, put holes in it and do a japanese book bind.

http://www.sff.net/people/Brook.West/bind/bindit.html

That's a good tutorial if you don't know what japanese book binding is, it's easier than having me explain it! You can modify it, add more holes for a different effect, etc. I bind mine using thin ribbon, hemp, leather cord, etc. Whatever suits the cover style. You can also start knotting it at the top hole instead of the middle, and leave a tail. The tail can be used as a book marker!

I'm off to make a record cover journal... !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on a break from swapping... much needed!

www.myspace.com/_jane_

http://www.wists.com/janer
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005 08:13:48 PM »

I've got a Cars album with a Vargas on the cover that is going to be some kind of something, and this thread has given me TONS of ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
torilimcadle
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005 06:52:50 AM »

Thanks yall!  I'll laminate (sp?) the cover, add watercolor or drawing paper, and bind it.  Yall are great! 

Holy cow, what a rad idea! I have so many old albums that I don't listen to, I was going to make an art chair out of them... I could make something from the covers, too! Wee! Thanks for the idea!

I've got a Cars album with a Vargas on the cover that is going to be some kind of something, and this thread has given me TONS of ideas!

No problem!  I'm just happy that the idea went over well! 

Thanks again! 

I'll try to post pics when I'm done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Noam Chomsky.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Get The Stella McCartney Dress Look For Less
Top Fall Fashion Trends For the Whole Family
Jessie J Shows Off Her Curves in Hot Pink
Fall 2013 Trends to Wear for Curvy Girls
Would You Wear Embellished Pants Like Elle Fanning?
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...