A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,370
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! my garden wall is ugly!  (Read 2157 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2005 02:43:02 AM »

I have a tiny garden, with an ugly wall in it:
It gets covered in weeds (which I de-weeded yesterday) which is annoying, and I'm seriously not a gardening type person, so I'm looking for ideas on how to cover it up in a way which won't be too expensive and won't need lots of upkeep. 

Edited to say: The picture is quite small, so it might be difficult to see, but it's a stepped wall made from stones covered in chicken wire.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005 02:44:56 AM by kinkyknit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005 02:52:48 AM »

Mosaic? I'm not too sure about how that would go down with the chicken wire, but you can buy old pretty plates for 10 cents from lots of second hand shops, and it wouldn't be too expensive to get grout etc. You could do a picturey pattern or just colours.

-G.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005 06:55:03 AM »

Personally, I'd love to have that wall in my back yard, instead of the hill that is too steep to mow.  Plant ivy.  It's a low maintainace vine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goatgoddess
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005 07:52:42 AM »

The ivy is good - depending on where you live there are nice flowering vines - morning glory is easy but re seeds everywhere. And only good in the summer. Well after looking at that again would you have to grow it all from pots? The ivy or morning glory or both would work well for that.

Mosaic wouldn't work on that type of wall - but you could hang items from the chicken wire - you could make small mosaic panels to hang - would need to keep them light weight so wouldn't make them too large - plates are a good idea - there are very cheap plate hangers that you could wire to the chicken wire then mount the plates - with the ivy that would be very nice.

Also stair stepping the pots of plants and "found art" would be nice with the ivy
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005 07:54:50 AM by goatgoddess » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005 08:23:45 AM »

Hmmmm.  there has been a further development in the ugly wall story.  One of my cats was jumping down from the wall and got a leg caught in the holes made ny the chicken wire.  She tumbled and fell safely, but it could have been quite nasty.  It's made me think that the wire is dangerous for her, so I'd better think of something to cover it up completely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goatgoddess
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005 06:12:36 PM »

It would take a bunch of stucco but that would work well on the wire or put a wood face over it - not sure how big it is but if it's under 8 or 10 feet long might be do able.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chopsticks7
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007 02:56:39 PM »

Can you not rip the chicken wire out? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bombgirl

i subscribe to the george lass work ethic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007 03:01:11 PM »

i think the trick to never having to deal with weeds again (or at least not extensively) while having it look nice is to go for an ivy that is native to your region (so you don't have to water or anything) and that's fairly invasive

that way it'll hedge out the weeds and cover the wall with no real effort on your part

xeriscaping was the best thing i could do for my garden - i don't have time to garden and there's no way short of rain to water it without a LOT of effort on my part. so i planted a couple of pretty, native and droought tolerant plants and they took over on their own while staying in a nicely contained area (so not covering all the ground, just staying to the side where i originally planted some
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLICKR!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/cupcakesrevenge/<br /><br />inspiration and desires... www.wists.com/bombgirl<br /><br />craft blog! (if you\'re my swap partner, NO PEEKING!) <br />http://yourfaceiswhereblogsgotodie.blogspot.com/
sherburd
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007 03:08:24 PM »

uhhh, why is there chicken wire over the stones?  I like the wall...I love stones and I like the ways yours look.  I think the ivy would look nice, but I am always concerned about a place for snakes to hide and jump out at me.  They love stones, too.  I might put staggered pots of flowers on the steps. 
Ok, now I am really brainstorming....how about a water falls down part of it?  If I were going to tackle that, I would, buy the black plastic sheeting that they use for ponds, get some top soil to put on the sides of the "falls" to hold the sheeting up to make a trough and cover the sheeting on the sides with more boulders. You would have to make a reservoir at the bottom to hold the water...Quite an undertaking, but very nice for peace and quiet when you were done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pheather

I am full of p and v....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007 03:41:06 PM »

If you live where moss will grow you could do moss instead of ivy, that would look good on the stones.  I wouldn't recommend ivy, it is considered a noxious weed where i live, and I am forever keeping it from encroaching onto my flower garden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Flower Part 5/11
How to Crochet a Flower Part 10/11
How to Crochet a Flower Part 2/11
How to Crochet a Flower Part 11/11
How to Crochet a Flower Part 1/11
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...