A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,655
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: As Is OR Modified Aunt Martha Stitchalong  (Read 37970 times)
Tags for this thread: aunt_martha , embroidery_transfer , iron_on_transfer_paper  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2005 03:41:05 PM »

thanks GloryB!
I started this last night and just finished it in the car while waiting for the kids to get out of school. I left out the phrase that went with it, big modification, huh?  Roll Eyes
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/9980mini-backtoschool_006.jpg

I love your little monkey!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011 07:21:51 PM by kittykill - Reason: Fixed image » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LolaBella
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2005 03:11:35 PM »

I found them at Wal-Mart!  They've been hiding down there all these years and my other finally came in the mail.  I have plans for the poodles and the mermaid.  Now I just need to find the time to get to 'em!  Moving takes forever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Costume Blog: Bella Miss Ella
Regular Blog:
Bella Boston
river_roane
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2005 12:38:20 AM »

I was inspired by the awesome work here to go ahead and try an embroidery project. I picked up a couple of Aunt Martha transfers at Walmart tonight, but I have a question about them. I wanted to do a queen bee image, but I don't want the pattern on the queen's robe. It would be tricky to cut it out of the design, so I was wondering if the image can be removed (by washing, etc.), once it is transferred onto the fabric? If so, what's the best method?

Also, my embroidery book says that cotton thread can be washed, but I was wondering if it can be machine washed. The book didn't specify.

Thanks for helping out an embroidery novice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chelsea
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2005 03:34:09 PM »

I don't think the pattern would wash out.  I haven't seen the pattern you're talking about, so there might be a better way than this...but one thing you could do is just trace the image with a transfer pen or transfer paper instead of ironing it on using the pattern. (I've only used the transfer paper from Sublime Stitching, but it's GREAT). 

I don't know if embroidery could be machine washed, I always handwash mine.  What I do I got from someone on here (can't think of their name right now though).  You wash it in warm water with dish soap in the sink. Swish around a few times. Rinse well with cold water.   Then roll it up in a towel and press the excess water out.  Then to iron it, you lay it face down on another clean towel while it's still a little damp. 

I have had a pillow that I bought from Target that had some embroidery on it.   I always machine washed that because it wasn't that big of a deal...I hadn't spent hours working on it, I just paid like $10 for it.  I did notice the threads start to fray a little...might've been from the wash might've been from it being used. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
river_roane
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2005 08:49:30 PM »

Thanks so much for your help. I kind of figured that I'd have to handwash my embroidery, but I thought I'd ask to get people's experience. As for the transfer, I decided to experiment with a little embroidery that I'm using to practice. I'll be sure to post my results here when I figure out what happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepaper
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2005 03:26:04 AM »

I use my emroidered dishtowels every day so they get washed A LOT and believe it or not they hold up quite well. I have even thrown 2 in with the whites (accidentally!) and they survived hot water and bleach although they did fade a little bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bopalena
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2005 08:43:57 AM »

I throw my embroidered towels and shirts in the washer all the time and I've never had a problem. 

Also, I've never had a problem with the transfer marks not washing off. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SlickMariaVic
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2005 07:27:38 AM »

How convenient...my first craft-a-long and its already sometime Im working on.  I picked up this really cute *kinda racist* Aunt Martha day of the week pattern entitled Tropical Babies. Ive already started and eventually plan on making some throw pillows. Do these things have time restraints?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That which is creative must create itself -" Keats

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/slickmariavic/
SlickMariaVic
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2005 10:14:01 PM »

Heres my Aunt Martha's contribution the stitchalong. Not the most PC but still adorable. It came from a AM's pattern entitled Tropical Babies. I plan on making some crazy quilted pillows out of them. The grass skirt is bullions, the necklace french knots, the grapes lazy daisy, and pretty much everything else is stem stitch. Let me know what you think  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That which is creative must create itself -" Keats

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/slickmariavic/
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2005 05:50:27 AM »

Your little girl is adorable.  She is really going to make a sweet pillow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade French Fries
Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
How To Cook a Turkey
The History of Pumpkin Pie
How to Make a Delicious Pumpkin Bisque
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...