A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: interfacing getting kinda wrinkley..whats wrong  (Read 821 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

icandostufftough
MELONhead

cant help myself

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2005 09:07:50 AM »

ok i looked and i havnet found this questions yet.. just questions about the gooey stuff getting over the needle, which i have no problem with... but i made an awesome purse and when i was turning the bag right side out, everything went crazy, the interfacing was moving, may bag was all wrinkley like like an old persons chin. know i dont know why...this happend about 3 months ago .. and for a while i didnt want to touch a sewing machine because of the frustration... but i made some bags last week... with NO interfacing, but i want interfacing...just how..... get i get some crafting love please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"reality leaves alot to the imagination"

I dig things and people
ITZA
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005 06:41:31 PM »

Hi There,
I'm not sure if you used iron-on OR sew in interfacing.  But it sounds like you used iron-on interfacing.  Iron-on interfacing can be touchy to work with when it comes to purses.  It can ripple like an orange peel when it gets moisture on it; it wrinkles and looks like heck when you turn it - thus requiring a lot of ironing, etc.

IF you opt to use iron on interfacing I would suggest that you use the iron-on interfacing for ***Shirt Tailor**.  They sell it whereever they sell iron-on interfacing.  I would apply two layers to my purse. 

Iron on the first layer...then let fabric cool....then iron on second layer.  This will give you a pretty stable piece of fabric to work with.

The reason I recommend **Shirt Tailor** interfacing is because of the way it is made.  It has far, far, far less stretch than other interfacings.  It turns and folds easily because it is made to be used on shirt collars and shirt plackets (where the buttons & button holes go).  It is easy to turn and iron.

I use sew in interfacing and I've eliminated these problems. 

Others get plastic canvas and cut it up, then insert it between the padding & the lining of the purse; still others use buckram.

I understand your frustration and can certainly understand that you want interfacing of some sort in a purse ! 

I hope this has helped you.
Deb
THIS ROCKS   Logged
icandostufftough
MELONhead

cant help myself

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005 08:15:22 AM »

wow that was plenty of informatiom ... thanks a whole lot... i was thinking about using the plastic stuff for the bottom, i mean it seema like an aweasome idea..
thanks again
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dig things and people
ITZA
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005 08:35:52 AM »

You are most welcome.  I was thinking about your original message. 

One thing you might want to keep in mind is to Leave a Large Enough Opening for Turning your purse.  The smaller the opening for turning, the more stress you put on your fabric, batting and interfacing; thus you get more wrinkles and more pressing is required.

If the opening is large you have more *work* area; thus less fabric / interfacing stress.  Yes, it might look a little odd to see a larger space in your lining, but you press it and stitch it.  It's on the inside of the purse, no one sees it except you.

If you opt to use plastic canvas...I recommend placing it between your batting (padding) and your lining.  Make sure you trim the canvas edges so they are smooth.  The plastic pokey things might cause problems for you someday.  They might poke through or snag your lining (eventually).  For sure they will irrate you when you are putting things in and removing things from your purse.   Just make sure the edges are trimmed perfectly smooth and you should be ok with the plastic canvas.

Another thing to keep in mind for purse stability is batting (padding).  You have several options when you purchase this.  Some is thicker, some is stiffer, some even has a *fusible* feature where you actually iron the batting to the fabric.  I  have never used the fusible batting so don't know what the end product is like with this fusible stuff. 

I guess it all depends on what kind of feel you like when your product is finished.  Some prefer a softer hand, others a rather stiff purse.  I'm kinda in the middle somewhere LOL

There are many helpful and kind people on this site and someone is always around to lend a helping hand.  Just ask if you need or want more help.  Hopefully others will post here and give their ideas and suggestions too.  My idea might seem like a solution for you, but there certainly are other folks with other ideas that would work too !

Deb
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GraceOblivious
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005 08:48:41 AM »

Another thought -- iron on interfacing can shrink differently than the fabric and cause bubbeling - this is often seen on clothes after washing.  So not sure if this is the issue with your purse.  However, it is wise to pre-shrink interfacing.  Immerse it in a bowel (or sink) of quite warm but not really hot water.  Lift out and pat do not wring -- you can place the interfacing on a towel and roll it.  then hang it over shower rod or an air drying rack until dry - fold or roll on a cardboard tube to store (do not press - Pressing will activate the glue Tongue

Also keep the directions for use -  and follow the directions for the particular iron on interfacing.  pulling away and bubbeling can also be caused by too little heat, too much heat, not enough pressure, dry heat or wet heat -- it all depends on the adhesive.   

To get good pressure it can help to put both hands on the iron and lean into it for the recommended  set time for the interfacing used.

IF you opt to use iron on interfacing I would suggest that you use the iron-on interfacing for ***Shirt Tailor**.  They sell it whereever they sell iron-on interfacing.  I would apply two layers to my purse. 

Iron on the first layer...then let fabric cool....then iron on second layer.  This will give you a pretty stable piece of fabric to work with.

The reason I recommend **Shirt Tailor** interfacing is because of the way it is made.  It has far, far, far less stretch than other interfacings.  It turns and folds easily because it is made to be used on shirt collars and shirt plackets (where the buttons & button holes go).  It is easy to turn and iron.

Also heartily agree with all Deb said too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
icandostufftough
MELONhead

cant help myself

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005 09:30:11 PM »

your guys helped alot...  Grin  im so excited that now my stuff wont get messed up and might actually look nice
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dig things and people
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Flash Buttons - Flash CS3
How to Create an Animation - Photoshop CS3
How to Design a Haunted House Part 2/3
Clone Yourself in Sony Vegas
How To Make A Light Saber Effect In Sony Vegas
Latest Blog Articles
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...