A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How did YOU learn to knit?  (Read 4019 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2005 08:25:04 AM »

Everyone I know can do anything... except knit. All I want to learn to do is knit!  Cry

I keep eyeballing the little kits in Hancock fabrics/Walmart/Joanns/etc., but keep changing my mind about them.

Where did you all learn to knit? Kits? Websites?

Any recommendations? Pwease? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005 09:28:57 AM »

I used a combination of a couple of vintage books I bought at thrift stores and one website with videos of casting on, knit, purl and binding off.  I don't remember the website now, but I found it on a thread here at Craftster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Br1na
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005 09:42:50 AM »

I learned to knit entirely on the internet - no books, no teacher, just www.KnittngHelp.com and www.StitchGuide.com.

I may not be a _good_ knitter, but I can knit Cheesy

(Ok, i'm a good knitter for someone who has been doing it for only 4months or so).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
jMi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005 09:51:00 AM »

Big thanks to you both! I'll be hitting the thrift stores and those websites today! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
pookiepal25
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005 09:56:32 AM »

Check with an older female relative or friend. I learned from my mother and one of her pattern books from when she was young.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Madeleine09
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005 09:59:25 AM »

Once you learn the basic knit/purl techniques the first Stitch and Bitch book has a lot of great pointers and illustrations to teach some more complicated stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annkari
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005 10:02:07 AM »

My mother and grandmother taught me how to knit when I was about seven, and we had knitting classes in school in grade 3 or 4 I think.

I second the idea of finding someone who can show you how to knit in person, it's a lot easier to learn that way I think. Check with local yarn stores, they're almost always glad to help out knitting novices, or at least they'll know where to find someone who can teach you how to knit.

And welcome to the world of knitting!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melissa85148

I do lots of weird things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005 10:05:06 AM »

My mom was taking knitting classes at the local AC Moore about a year and a half ago and when my Grandma found out (she's been knitting for forever) she sent my mom and I Stitch N Bitch.  I absolutely loved the look of the book and the projects in it so the night we got the book I sat on the sofa and taught myself how to cast on, knit and purl that night.

From there I've picked up other knitting books and taught myself other stitches, increases, decreases.

But I definitely recommend Stitch N Bitch for a beginner- Debbie Stoller did an excellent job explaining the different stitches and the diagrams are great!

I used this site to teach myself how to use DPNs :: http://www.wonderful-things.com/newknit12.htm  DPNs look really scary at first but once you get the hang of them, they're not too bad.

I hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jMi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005 10:31:34 AM »

Wow you guys are all so helpful! We have AC Moore and Hancock Fabrics here and I know both places have various classes throughout the month, so I was thinking about stopping by those places tomorrow and seeing if either have knitting classes going on Smiley

I also keeping looking at Stitch N Bitch at the store but haven't bought it yet since I don't know how to knit, figured it would be an investment for when I know some Wink

As for older people to help, I'm not finding much luck there. My mom only knows how to crochet, and I don't have anyone else in the area to ask for help.  Undecided

Thanks again though, you guys are awesome!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Duckie

Fifty-seven academics just punched the air.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005 10:49:29 AM »

The first Stitch n Bitch book does teach you how to knit; it's not just patterns. I learned from Debbie Stoller's How to Knit book myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sean Strub Speaks Out on His Political Career
Doris Kearns Goodwin: Similarities Between Digital and Industrial Eras
Doris Kearns Goodwin on The Women of the Progressive Era
Sharon Draper: What Are You Reading?
Pulitzer Prize Winner Doris Kearns Goodwin on Christmas Memories
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...