A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Non-animal yarn help  (Read 13523 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emie
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004 03:08:54 PM »

hey -- i'm vegan too! yay us
i usually stick to cotton yarns -- depending on where you are, you can often get locally produced varieties -- but the commercial ones are great
i often like cotton blended with a bit of something else for stretch, but if you find a 100% cotton yarn that you love and want to use for a project you know should be stretchier than it will knit up as, you can substitute seed stitch for garter -- it will take a bit more yarn, but feel yummy
when substituting a yarn, i often look at a skein of what is suggested and try to find a cotton or cotton blend that mimics how tight the reccomended yarn is spun (besides mimicing weight and thickness) -- this is especially important for socks which require tightly spun yarn
i haven't tried the new bamboo yarns, but would like to hear from anyone who has, since bamboo is so very sustainable and strong
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The suspense is terrible, i hope it lasts.
darumah
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004 04:02:28 PM »

I totally agree about synthetic fabics and I do try to avoid them. I started this thread with the hope that you guys and gals could offer some great alternatives to the yarns that I currently rely on.

To clarify my philosophy, I try to avoid all products that exploit animals. I do realize that wool can be aquired humanely, but after some extensive reading on the Australian wool industry I can't buy wool in good conscience (if you want more information please visit www.woolisbaad.com). I might however buy recycled wool or unravel old sweaters.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread and please keep the ideas coming. *robyn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clumsy
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004 05:17:15 PM »

I'm also looking for the cotton that grows with the color already genetically created-anyone seen that stuff yet? It supposedly has hit the market but I don't know any brand names, etc.

it's called fox cotton or something like that, after the lady who developed it. there is more info at http://www.foxfibre.com/fox_fibre.htm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corzanna
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004 12:40:06 PM »

in addition to the cotton and the rayon and acrylic and whatnot i just read about this newish fiber called "soysilk" made from the byproducts of tofu production, or so i hear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

corri loves you!
ednathewitch
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2004 04:38:00 PM »

I second the bamboo yarn. It feels wonderful, but is on the pricy side. Then there is yarn being made of soy & corn proteins. Check out http://www.soysilk.com/YARN.html for more info on all three types. You can also buy the soy "roving" from some sources and spin your own yarn. Ebay sometimes has listings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ever feel that you *have* to use a signature?

nytefalle.com/blog | nytefalle.etsy.com
knittygirl
Crafty Girl who dables in the needle arts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2004 04:44:34 PM »

Hello
Not a vegan or veggie here but if you think about it
Healthy sheep well cared for sheep =finer quality wool,i know you are a vegan but if you buy from small quality farms you can purchase wool that does not harm the animal,i have worked with sheep as well as other animals and if you have ever sheared or seen a sheep sheared they are extremely happy,and no offenese to anyone here but i have found that peta tends to blow things out of proportion i agree with thier causes but not thier action, you might want to consider buying yarn from places like morehouse merino and joslyns fiber farm if you do not feel comferable with other brands i know that cascade buys thier fleece from many humane sources as does peace fleece if you think about it wool shearing does not harm the sheep as silk and possum are harmed
I hope i have offened no one here but i am simply stating what i know
i buy all types of yarn and think that more harm goes into creating syntheticss than harming animals
Thanx
KG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iamacliche
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2004 07:55:56 PM »

i dont like using animal yarn either.
i pretty much buy only cotton & acrylic.
i love yarn thats for baby projects,
although i usually have to knit with two strands instead of one to get the intended outcome.

ps - im a new knitter so i dont have a lot of experience with yarn, but i hope i've been helpful.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004 08:00:32 PM by Jennifer » THIS ROCKS   Logged
puffy_jacket
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2004 05:51:42 AM »

The new Interweave Knits has an extensive article on "nontraditional" yarns- bamboo, hemp, soy, etc, and it lists retailers. Worth picking up if you want to avoid wools *and* acrylics! It also has many patterns using these yarns, so it's probably a good buy for you.

I think you'll have to accept that knitting w/out animal fibers or acrylics will be very expensive, though. Fancy hemp yarn does not come cheap.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elysium
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004 01:57:39 PM »

Wow, that fox cotton sounds great. When it was first mentioned in the posts I thought it was going to be harshly GMOd but it's certified organic. cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geekgirl
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2004 04:41:19 AM »

what an interesting topic! i am a vegetarian- not a vegan. But, I only eat diary products from small, local organic farms. all my vegetables also come from small, local, organic farms. I don't wear leather and it is very important to me to support local businesses.

i guess this would all depend on one's politics, but I won't use a lot of acrylic because of the chemical process of making the yarn and what that does to the environment. I generally think "plastic" when I feel it, so I never really want to knit with it. Also, most of the places you buy acrylic are chain stores (at least where I live) that I wouldn't support. I love knitting with organic cotton or wool- but only from small local sheep farms. A friend of mine is a spinner and sheers the few sheep she has every year. She loves the sheep and they are very affectionate animals. I helped her one year and it seemed like a natural and humane process, but I totally understand and respect if folks think that isn't kind to animals.

when i first started knitting i didn't know about some of the great, small farm yarns out there. i find it to be pretty much the same price as say, lion's brand homespun and actually I think it is cheaper a lot of the time. organic cotton is more expensive- I have yet to find some I can afford to make a whole project with. i love the feel and quality of small farm yarn. here's a couple places i've ordered from and both have great yarn (both in Maine- I grew up there so I am kinda bias): http://www.peacefleece.com and http://www.bartlettyarns.com/

just my 2 cents...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Put a Watermark in Camtasia Recordings
How to Make a Watermark - Adobe Fireworks
How to Record Voice - Sony Vegas Pro
How to Make HD Videos - Camtasia Studio 6
How to Make a Watermark - Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...