A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Non-animal yarn help  (Read 13968 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

c1rcularparade
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2005 11:34:55 AM »

I don't know what any one else's opinion is, but I never thought the discussion was nasty. Maybe some things came off that way, but I think everyone was just throwing their two cents in. I also think that a lot of people made suggestions for fiber alternatives and further information was provided for those who were curious. I hope that no one was offended or anything. I don't know though, thats just what I think.

That being said, I've been wondering lately why there are hardly any non-wool bulky yarns? Does any one know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carleigh
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2005 02:48:20 PM »

That being said, I've been wondering lately why there are hardly any non-wool bulky yarns? Does any one know?
yes in a matter of fact i do. Smiley Some fibers, like acrylic, if that even counts, just do not hold together very well. Wool, alpaca too, tends to hold things together better. Otherwise you'd have a really yucky pilly mess. Jiffy think and quick is a good example of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
c1rcularparade
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2005 06:14:06 AM »

interesting...thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmemoryxremainsx
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2008 09:18:01 AM »

I totally agree about synthetic fabics and I do try to avoid them. I started this thread with the hope that you guys and gals could offer some great alternatives to the yarns that I currently rely on.

To clarify my philosophy, I try to avoid all products that exploit animals. I do realize that wool can be aquired humanely, but after some extensive reading on the Australian wool industry I can't buy wool in good conscience (if you want more information please visit www.woolisbaad.com). I might however buy recycled wool or unravel old sweaters.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread and please keep the ideas coming. *robyn

Have you considered buying wool or animal fiber yarn from a local spinner?

I am a handspinner.  I am also a member of a spinning and weaving guild.  A lot of our members raise their own fiber animals.  These animals are generally very well taken care of, or even very spoiled.  If the animal is stressed it will create weak spot in the fiber that could cause it to be unusable.

Alpacas, Llamas, goats (mohair or cashmere) and sheep are all sheared.  Angora Rabbits are either plucked or have the hair cut off, if this is not done they can and will die...  Some people use dog fur that is left over from when they groom them.  A member of our guild was recently spinning with buffalo fiber which can be collected from fences and shrubs that it brushes off on or it can even be saved from the hides when they process them for meat.

If you are against animals that have had a lot of their natural instincts and qualities bred out of them, you could consider using fiber from a more primitive breed like Shetland Sheep. 

If you purchase yarn from a local source, you may have the oppotunity to see how the animals are treated and feel more confident when you know you arent dealing with something that is raised in a huge commercial opperation...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008 09:20:24 AM by xmemoryxremainsx » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Insta Photographers - Are Apps Like Instagram Ruining Photography?
Insta Photographers
Inside Out Project: When Life Becomes Art
RAW File Basics
The Time of Day in Digital Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...