A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Non-animal yarn help  (Read 14234 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gurlwhopurls
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2005 06:53:57 PM »

PETA also claims that shearing sheep is cruel when in fact not shearing them, as said before, is cruel. I believe PETA wants to help animals but they don't need to go about it in some of the ways they do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolo
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2005 09:16:56 AM »

Hey, I'm also vegan.  Here are a few yarns I've used so far, but since I've just started knitting I haven't used a lot:

GGH Goa:  Knits up nicely!  I made the shocking pink coif (knitty) and a panta from it, along with some ipod cozies with the left overs. 

Patagonia Nature Cotton:  thick/thin thing going on, pretty colors, wasn't happy with how it handled washing... aged 5 years with a gentle handwash!

Blue Sky Organic Cotton: super soft - will wash it soon, hope it fares better than the nature cotton.  making chunky socks for my mom out of it.

manos cotton stria:  just bought this, but looks fun!  supposedly similar to mission falls cotton

berroco plush - this is the softest thing ever.  it's still a UFO so we'll see how it wears once i'm done!  making a fuzzy striped scarf.

Everyone has different reasons for choosing the yarns they prefer to work with.  I'm happy there are more humane providers of wool and other animal fibers out there but I still choose not to use them.  Chances are I'm not going to convince you to become a vegan knitter, and you're not going to convince me to use wool/angora/cashmere from such-and-such farm, and that's okay!

I hope you found some of my yarn recommendations helpful, darumah!  I'm going to start some projects from SnB soon (I just got it!) and I'll let you know what yarns I decide to use if you're interested.

Let's just knit and be happy.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gurlwhopurls
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2005 11:07:38 AM »

Amen to that! Knit and be merry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carleigh
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2005 04:10:31 PM »

i don't really have any facts, just a bit of logic: If shearing the sheep really hurt them and cut them, wouldn't they bleed, hence making the wool bloody? Blood stains are really hard to get out, the only way to do so would to be to bleach it. And, we all know that wool never comes in white, it's always cream. Even the "white" woolease I am using is creamy! So, either they cut the sheep, bleach the yarn, and dye it cream again, or they are careful while shearing and don't cut the sheep. Also, and this goes for all animal fibers, the healthier the animal is, the better the fiber it produces. Sickly, malnourished animals would have have thin, sickly coats. This applys to humans too! If you are starving, your hair will fall out. If you lack importants vitamans, your hair will be dull. Why do think they have dog food for healthy coats? That is my logic, at least. I don't really know how the Australian wool industry works, and my wool usually comes from Italy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2005 09:34:21 PM »

as it turns out wool is often bleached (thats why they dont reccomend felting white yarn, it ussually doesnt come out that well). the australing wool industry is under scrutiny because of musling, which i know people who raise their own sheep just for hobby that do use the practice and it seems neccessary but im just going to go on the record of having said i dont subscribe to either side of this one. ANYWAY. i wouldnt be surprised if your itallian wool was infact spun/dyed/carded/whatever in italy, but alot of distributors probably get their yarn from australia (no facts on that one, but a guess). i dont think anyone else has posted the link but heres two of the other wool discussions on craftster. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=13227.0 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=50506.0. i do think though that you should steer clear of any information that peta gives you. theyre known nuts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
Maryam Ovaci

I love you, Interlibrary Loan.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2005 10:46:45 PM »

I checked out some of that foxfibre stuff, and hot diggity that looks awesome! This lady's growing cotton in green and brown and pink - it's a shame she doesn't sell the seeds, I'd love to just have a little planter of them by my door, but I can see why it'd be a bad business idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You bring Athena home five minutes after her curfew and not only does Zeus smite you with a lightning bolt, he transforms into a goose and seduces your mom." - Questionable Content

My own tiny knitblog, soon to include spinning!
http://pandabonzai.blogspot.com/
turtle
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2005 06:18:57 PM »

Just my two cents here...

PETA is just as reliable as any other organization, government department, or individual: they have many things correct, and some that may not be quite right.  Factory animal farming of any sort is unhealthy for the animals, while small farms and individuals are likely to be much more humane to their "products". Ultimately, if you have a question or a concern about a product or practice, do some research yourself and see what you can find out.   Also, always remember that nearly everyone has a bias, and some of those biases are compassion-based, while others are profit-based...

As for vegan yarn, I just buy whatever I see that's on sale!  But I am very intregued by the idea of recycling old sweaters from the thrift shop.  But from what I understand, you can only successfully unravel yarn from the more expensive/handmade type sweaters that aren't cut to fit the patterns. I have yet to get adventurous in the sweater isle of my local Goodwill...  Though I do buy actual yarn from the thrift shop when I see interesting skeins for sale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
armybratlovestokni

Interkay will rule you all!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2005 06:38:43 AM »

I have close friends who live on a farm, and I have seen them shear, as well as at fairs. They are VERY careful, because one youve had an animal (even livestock) for an amount of time, they create an attachement to them, and wouldn't do anything to hurt them. Also those sheep I belive are relieved, Would you want to wear a super thick wool sweater all summer? I don't think so. Also for sheep, after not being sheared for a while, they get dirty and matted. Just my 2 cents
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would rather be knitting.
homrighaus
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2005 07:36:58 AM »

As far as recycled yarn goes, there's always a variety of types and colors of recycled yarn on sale on eBay for fairly low prices. This might be a good option if you don't want to buy, unravel, wash, hang, and ball the recycled yarn yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolo
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2005 08:27:58 AM »

I'm not one to stifle a good discussion, but is this thread really the best place for a debate on whether animal yarns are humane or not?

Robyn asked,
Does anyone have suggestions for non-animal yarn that knits well and looks great, I am trying to expand my horizons.

All she is looking for is some yarn advice.  If she had noted allergies as her reason for not wanting to use wool, no one would have tried to convince her that she's not really allergic, or that she's just misinformed, or that wool from company so-and-so won't make her sneeze.  But as soon as she mentions that she's vegan everyone jumps on her, and most aren't even answering her question!

I'm only speaking up because I'd hate for this to conversation to get nasty, and I'd love for Robyn to get some yarn advice; I'm interested too!

So, that being said, what are some good yarns that just happen not to include animal products?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drawing Rosettes Part 1
Interlocking Poses for Deep Stretches
The Magic of Puppetry
How to make a Chocolate Vodka Martini
How to Audition
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...