A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Non-animal yarn help  (Read 13754 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

c1rcularparade
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2005 04:17:07 PM »

some one might have already have said this as well but, in a general sense alpaca is the same thing as wool. It's still hair, its still sheared from the body.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wokeupafraud
it's always you in my big dreams

andrew mcmahonnnnn <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2005 04:26:46 PM »

ooooh bamboo yarn

drools
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so I guess we're back to us, oh cameraman
swing the focus. In case I lost my train of
thought, where was it that we last left off?
let's pick up, pick up

http://home.promosquad.com/referal.shtml?referer=_heartacheontv&band=62
knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2005 09:50:30 AM »

teeeechnically all animal hair is refered to as wool but nowadays we all accept it to meen sheeps hair. (learned this in the brand spankin new edition of vogue knitting that showed up on my kitchen table last night)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
gurlwhopurls
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2005 07:17:09 AM »

Not sheering sheep is cruel though. If you don't sheer them they can die for multiple reasons. I definitely don't want to hurt any cute and cuddley sheep though! But I still use animal fibers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
c1rcularparade
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2005 11:27:24 AM »

Its how they shear the sheep that hurts them. The website http://www.savethesheep.com/ that was mentioned earlier shows how it is done in australia. granted that is not the way it is done in all places,but seeing that was enough to make me never want to buy wool again! I could only watch the video for like 30 seconds before i was so disgusted i had to turn it off. i understand that a lot of sheep breeds need to be sheared, but there are humane ways to do it. And the possibility of me buying wool that came from a farm like that isn't worth it to me. Its really all a matter of opinion, i completely agree with you gurlwhopurls, its just frightening to see how far people would go for a warm fuzzy sweater! i don't think any of us want to hurt the cute cuddly sheep!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gurlwhopurls
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2005 02:38:57 PM »

exactly, i wouldn't want sheep to be hurt just for me to get a sweater. but i really do enjoy knitting with animal fibers. i can assure you, i've always wanted to buy my own sheep and be able to make the yarn and everything, so when that happens, you have my word i will be very nice to them! lol, one less person for to worry about! i don't understand why people could even hurt an animal. i'm not a vegetarian but i don't want people to go around and hurting animals for the heck of it. all things in moderation i guess. even hunting, i don't have a problem with that but i don't think i would have the heart to shoot an animal. the way i see it is that humans are kind of like the superior life form in the food chain or whatever and we were made to be able to use animals and such for our needs but not to take more than what we need and not to waste it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkyhooker
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2005 08:40:43 PM »

Ya'll are cool beans  Smiley  Do any of you spin?  It is so addicting.  Anywhooooo,,, everyone has a local 4H chapter and those kids sheer their sheep and 99 times out of 100,,, they LOVE their sheepies!  I was in 4H so I know they'd probably love selling their sheerings.  At least you'd know that the sheep were not bred fro "crazy" amounts of wool and that they were sheered humanely.  There really is nothing like knitting with organic animal fibers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
EllenL
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2005 11:54:04 AM »

Rowan's Cotton Tape is amazing stuff.   It's really soft and knits up quickly, and the patterns for it are great.  You might want to check that out.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maryam Ovaci

I love you, Interlibrary Loan.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2005 12:41:02 PM »

If it's the shearing you're not fond of as regards the sheep, you may find Angora interesting. It's pricey, yeah, but how they get the fiber is the bunnies shed their undercoat every few months, so just basic grooming gets it all, and they don't have to be kept in cages to protect it beforehand, just regular grooming and living indoors. Also, it's ready to be spun as soon as it's off the bunny, no chemicals or processing needed, and it's as stretchy as wool and much warmer, so a little goes a long way Smiley There are a lot of small-scale fiber people who just keep them as pets and sell the fiber when they shed, so you can see the exact bunny it came from. I think whether or not it's spun first depends on the person, though.

That said, a cotton/nylon blend is what I used to make a hat for a vegan friend of mine, the nylon makes it more springy and the cotton gave it good wickability, which is something it's hard to find with synthetic fibers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You bring Athena home five minutes after her curfew and not only does Zeus smite you with a lightning bolt, he transforms into a goose and seduces your mom." - Questionable Content

My own tiny knitblog, soon to include spinning!
http://pandabonzai.blogspot.com/
c1rcularparade
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2005 04:35:41 PM »

I think i read something about angora somewhere...I'm trying to find it right now.
alright:
"Angora rabbits are strapped to a board for shearing, kicking powerfully in protest. The clippers inevitably bite into their flesh, with bloody results. Angoras have very delicate foot pads, making life on a wire cage floor excruciating and ulcerated feet a common condition. Because male angoras have only 75 to 80 percent of the wool yield of females, on many farms they are killed at birth."
Thats from here:  http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=55

I completely agree that if you can find small scale businesses that you know aren't meanies, go for it! And funkyhooker mentioned 4-H which reminded me that my cousin had two sheep! I totally forgot until just now. I wonder if he still has them. I know that when he did he loved them so much! they were like his best friends it was adorable! If you know some one or can find out how to contact your 4-H thats a great idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Work with hue/saturation in Photoshop
How to create an action in Photoshop Part 2/2
How to Create Baby Photos in Photoshop
How to Create a Gradient in Photoshop
How to Rename your Digital Files Using Exifer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...