A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,071
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Cat Cave  (Read 4553 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gmbryan

Callie-the diva sphynx

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2005 12:37:10 PM »

I would like to take the pattern for the ring cavehttp://www.crochetme.com/issue_1/containers.html and convert it to a snuggle den for my black cat "Spooky". However, I am terrible at freeform. Can anyone guestimate how many chains I should start out with?  The rest of the pattern should follow along quite easily!!! By the way, Spooky is a rather big boy, weighing in at a whopping 20 pounds.  I know you will have his undying gratitude Smiley  Thanks in advance Smiley
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005 12:41:34 PM by gmbryan » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gmbryan

Callie-the diva sphynx

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005 01:55:31 PM »

Does anyone think that this project is doable? Any input would be appreciated Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissPink
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005 02:19:00 PM »

You can't really put a number on it. Maybe you could just make a chain, a multiple of 24 until you think it's long enough, maybe 18". nothing freeform about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
crochethappy
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005 04:39:03 AM »

It's definitely do-able. I would use a really big hook and very stiff yarn. 18" sounds about right to me, too. Since he is so big you might want it a little  bigger. You can always, go to  Walmart  or pet store  and measure across the bottom of one of their cat beds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gmbryan

Callie-the diva sphynx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005 09:17:55 AM »

Thanks for the tips!!!  I have only crocheted afghans (easy ones at that) and I am worried that since this pattern really decreases in size at the end when you sew it together that it will end up being too small. Also what type of yarn do you recommend? Thanks for all your replies!!! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heatherann
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005 05:06:44 PM »

You might also want to crochet around wire or something along the edges, so that it keeps its shape.  I find it incredibly difficult to make something stiff enough to stand up on its own, especially at that size.

What I would do (and might actually do, come to think of it) is to start with a chain as wide as the cat when s/he's curled up plus a bit of stretching room, times four.  (Times four because that's what they did - they chain 24 and end up with a width of 6, which is the bottom of the mouth of the cave. You want your base to be wide enough for kitty to curl up.)  So, let's say that's a chain of 104, to pick a completely inaccurate number at random.  What you would do is this:

Row 1: Chain 104
Row 2: Skip 1, sc 104-2 (102), skip one.
Row 3: Skip 1, sc 104-2-2 (100), skip one.
Row 4: Skip 1, sc 104-2-2-2 (98), skip one.
and so on until you get to the width of curled-up-kitty-plus-stretching (in this case, 26 stitches.)  Then do a few rows without any decreases, 26 stitches wide in this example, making it deep enough for The Kitty.

Oh, and this number (here 26) should be even.  I originally had this example at 100 ch base chain, going down to 25, but if you're decreasing by 2 each row, you're going to hit 26 and 24 but not 25.  Not a big deal, but keep it in mind.  Your base chain should probably be divisible by four.

This gives you this shape:

Join where shown, and then I would lay a wire along the edge (mouth of the cave) and crochet around it so that the mouth of the cave will stay open.  Of course, if your cat is anything like my boyfriend's kitten, he'll probably jump on it and bend the wire and it'll get all crazy looking, but you can bend it back into shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gmbryan

Callie-the diva sphynx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005 06:43:53 PM »

Shocked WoW Thanks Heatherann............I really appreciate the help...you make it sound so easy!!!! I will be helping my daughter settle in at Veterinary College and then this will be my perfect starting "empty nester" project Cry  I hope to begin in the next two weeks.  Thanks again for your time and expertise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heatherann
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005 05:06:54 AM »

Shocked WoW Thanks Heatherann............I really appreciate the help...you make it sound so easy!!!! I will be helping my daughter settle in at Veterinary College and then this will be my perfect starting "empty nester" project Cry  I hope to begin in the next two weeks.  Thanks again for your time and expertise!

You're welcome!  It is a pretty simple design.  Oh, and I've just noticed that you should do the first row without decreasing.  Start the decreases on Row 2.

As for types of yarn, pick something soft but sturdy, maybe a wool or something.  For hook size, you might have to play around with that a bit, but I would err on the side of making it smaller rather than larger, because if it's too big, the fabric will be really floppy.  Make a swatch or two to see how the fabric holds up with different hook sizes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cejaypi
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005 11:14:49 PM »

oh god that is such a cool idea, especially now with heatherann's great help! I know my cats would go nuts over something like that - I wonder if attempting to felt it would make it sturdier? Except I am pretty sure I wouldn't want to waste wool on my little buggers (and I hope they can't read or I am going to be a scratching post) -

20lbs?!?! I bet he is one snuggly fellow!!! My sixteen pounder looks like a pillow with legs!!! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gmbryan

Callie-the diva sphynx

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005 09:29:41 AM »

Today I started on the cave!! Right now it just looks like a long scarf.....Keep your fingers crossed...hopefully this will work.....Spooky is trying to eat the yarn as I go along Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Remove Facial Blemishes in Photoshop - Photo Editing Tips
How to Get Transitions to an IDVD Slideshow
How to Make a Collage in Photoshop
How to Whiten Teeth in Photoshop
How to Change Eye Color in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...