A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Postcards for Alison  (Read 5171 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

daisyfairside
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2005 12:26:21 PM »

Here are the pics of the box I made for Alison.  Not too impressive, I know, but it was the best I could do, unfortunately.  It is leopard and hot pink (the pinks are not showing up in the photos quite as bright as they actually are) fleece sewn together to form a cover for the box, then I glued it to the box as well for added durability.  The inside is lined, as well.  The satin ribbon on the seams was not necessary, but the ribbon was very pretty and seemed like a nice embellishment at the time (now I'm not so sure).  I cut some felt out to add as appliques to the top - teal is her favorite color, that is why the hearts are teal.  

Overall, there are presently around 60 postcards and more on the way, judging from e-mails received.  So a HUGE thank-you to everyone who sent postcards!!!  A couple of the cards/photos sent did not fit in the box, but they will be given to Alison in a gift bag along with the box.  If more postcards filter in late, no worries, I will just pack them up in a padded envelope or gift bag to be given to her when I see her next (which may be sooner than later now that she is seemingly on the mend!  Yay!).  

As for updates on Alison - she is in radiation therapy at the moment, which has nasty side effects.  HOWEVER, she was sent home on Friday, the 23rd - her fifth birthday!!!  So that was a fantastic b-day surprise for her!  Her hair is starting to grow back and her physical therapy is making great progress.  There are still aspects of her health that will never be the same, but one has to look at the positive.  

Thanks for all the well-wishes and kind words to everyone who has e-mailed.  The Craftster community is the best!!!!

I'll post again after I give Alison her brand-spanking-new postcard collection to let everyone know her reaction.  I'm sure she's going to love it!!!  Should keep her plenty entertained.  She is still homebound, of course, so this will be great for her.  
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009 05:45:56 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
daisyfairside
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2005 12:27:55 PM »

Oh, and I have to make quick mention - the idea of a postcard drive was actually another crafster's suggestion - I can't remember who and will have to check the thread to find out.  But just wanted to clarify - yep, it was a fantastic idea, but not mine.  Smiley 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hertrigger
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Vacation

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2005 05:38:10 PM »

THE BOX IS GORGEOUS. im sure she will love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- thepromoshop.etsy.com

I am out of state for the month of August. All packages will be sent when I get back home!
Lalage
Stunt seamstress and textile artist!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2005 08:19:59 AM »

I'm sure she'll love it! It's an awesome present for a 5 year old! Glad to hear she's doing better too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cortag04
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2005 10:51:28 AM »

Great idea. I'll email you now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daisyfairside
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2005 05:56:24 AM »

Just a quick posting to let everyone know how the postcard project was received.  I saw Alison last Sunday - when I walked in, I was greeted with an "Hola!", much to my surprise.  She seemed much better than I expected, despite the fact she is still fed through an ng tube and just finished radiation treatments.  I gave Alison the box of postcards, and she immediately started to sift through them the second I opened the box.  I think she will really enjoy them, especially as she progresses in her therapy and begins to communicate more.  Thanks so much every one!  The project was a success!  Postcards continue to filter in, and I plan on letting them accumulate and periodically sending her a padded envelope, as they fill up.  This way, her collection can continue to grow.

Thanks again!!!!  We really appreciate all the trouble everyone went through for this sweet little girl!  I'm sure Alison appreciates it, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lv2ScrpBk
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2005 07:48:49 AM »

Trust me, this was no trouble at all. Its good to help someone who needs it. I'm glad Alison is doing better and I wish her the best of luck as she continues to go through this. God Bless!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
nutritiongal
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2005 08:07:44 AM »

I'm going to email you right away and then hopefully mail a postcard out by the end of the week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back after a fews years of inactivity and looking forward to getting back into crafting!

Visit my blog: http://roaringtwentieskerri.blogspot.com/
daisyfairside
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2005 10:06:50 AM »

OOPS, I forgot to mention -

Some folks e-mailed me last week and the week before - I have NO IDEA what happened, but my e-mails bounced back as a failure to send.  I tried again, and the same thing happened.

Sooooo.... if anyone e-mailed and didn't hear from me, that is why.  I have always responded to everyone that contacts me regarding this project, so please know that I didn't ignore you, I just couldn't get my e-mail to you. 

If anyone who had the situation catches this message, please PM me instead and I'll be happy to respond and get you the contact info to send to.  Smiley

Sorry for the communication problems.  I was glad to hear from people and certainly don't want anyone to think I ignored their kind offers.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
athena404
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2005 07:09:42 PM »

aww
thats so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stars Sizzle in White Hot Fashion
‪How to Get Celebrity-Inspired Bikini Looks for Less‬
6 Things to Pack for a Weekend Trip
Milly for Banana Republic Hits Stores Today
How to Make Cool Cuffed Denim Shorts in Under 4 Minutes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...