A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,772
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Postcards for Alison  (Read 6074 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2005 06:43:31 PM »

Mailed mine today for her, from  Burnaby BC Canada! You can see it at http://arleebarr.squarespace.com/designjournal/2005/9/9/somebody-stop-me.html   It's the second one :}

whoa. amazing. mine will in no way live up to that,  but some from seattle will be on thier way shortly.

Yep, it's a knit blog

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005 11:33:11 AM »

Just a quick postcard update.

I have received MASSIVE amounts of postcards in the past couple of days.  YAY!!!!  I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am now that a significant amount of postcards are actually starting to pile up.  Smiley  I was a little concerned a week ago, but now I believe I have around 30-40 postcards and have received several e-mails that lead me to believe many more will be on the way. 

I had intended to list out all that have arrived, but with a crawling, wiggly 10 month old keeping me busy, I just don't have the time.  If anyone is concerned about their postcards having arrived, please drop me an e-mail at daisyfairside@hotmail.com and I'd be happy to check the pile and let you know.  I feel badly that I don't have the time to list everyone out, as you all took the time to send the postcard, but please know that I'm VERY grateful for those that have arrived and Alison will be, too.  They are being carefully stored at the present moment, awaiting their little postcard home.  Smiley

Speaking of which, I began a scrapbook on Monday to put the postcards in.  All was going well, until some uniquely shaped postcards began arriving, some very three dimensional, and some very generous folks sent little gifts, as well.  I wanted to keep everything together and have it neatly organized, sooooooo....

I am now altering the idea once again (it's gone from scrapbook, to soft book, and then back to scrapbook) to become a box of well-wishes.  I think that will actually work well for a four year-old, as she can take things out as she pleases.  I'm hoping to make little compartments, maybe a false bottom, and I'm going to buy some fabric tomorrow to make the outside soft and visually stimulating.  I hope to start/finish it sometime next week.

As it stands now, I am visiting Alison on Oct 1st-3rd, so there is still plenty of time if anyone wishes to PM or e-mail me (daisyfairside@hotmail.com) for the mailing address.  Smiley

I wanted to mention a couple of items received, as they were just crazy sweet and made me teary-eyed.  Two very sweet little girls (daugthers of a craftster) sent scrapbook pages and a bracelet for Alison.  I just wanted to send a HUGE thank-you to such thoughtful little children who took the time to create something for Alison.

I also wanted to send a HUGE thank-you to Arlee for the GORGEOUS fabric postcard.  It's amazing!  Really, the photo doesn't do it justice.  You should really consider posting that under its own topic on Crafster if you haven't already.  It's soooooo well-done, and obviously took some time.

And thanks to everyone else who sent postcards and pictures and sweet little messages.  They are all adding up to one fantastic project!  You guys rock!

As for a quick update on Alison - she is beginning radiation and is also still in physical therapy.  She is doing great, talking and becoming a little more mobile, bit by bit. Her isolation period is nearly over (it has been almost 100 days since the stem cell transplant).  She is being allowed small trips outside of the rehab facility on the weekends and LOVES being out of the hospital, if only for a couple hours.  So, her immune system is getting stronger and her motor skills are starting to improve.  Her fifth birthday is a couple weeks away and she's starting to get excited about that.  She's a trooper!

I'll post some photos next week as I begin "The Box".  Smiley  I'm going to scan the rest of Craftster now for some ideas on how to make this box extra-fabulous.  I'm thinking of lining the inside with faux-fur and some really fun textured fabrics.  Hmmmmmmm...

Thanks again everyone!  I'll keep you posted!
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005 11:44:46 AM »

Oh, almost forgot -

Also wanted to mention some British folk and Australians who have sent LOADS of postcards - thanks soooo much!  I know international postage can be pricey, so I really appreciate it.

And while I don't have the name in front of me at the moment, one particular Australian sent some stamps for Alison as well, and I just wanted to say thanks for including those!  She'll enjoy that!

I wish I had the time to list everyone's contribution out... sorry... hope everyone understands...

Gotta run - fussing baby...
Stunt seamstress and textile artist!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005 01:26:25 PM »

Blush blush---no really--i love doing these cards and it was a joy to do one for a child for a change!

Regularly Addicted

yes, im baby obsessed, i know.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2005 06:46:09 PM »

Yep.. a few dollars at the post office for me, i knew would mean a lot more at the other end. Smiley

"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them. If you hate someone, hate them until it hurts." -Henry Rollins
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2005 06:49:00 PM »

I sent three from my trip to Europe and I just felt so good about doing it. Its so nice to know we're doing something that will really brighten someones day or days... Hopefully Alison will grow up to be a craftster too.

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2005 06:25:10 PM »

Just a quick update - postcards have been flooding my mailbox and I now have probably around 50.  Thanks SOOOO much everyone!!!  We've received postcards from crafster friends in Canada, England, Australia, and several US states. 

I began sewing the fabric for Alison's Postcard Box... I bought some leopard and hot pink fleece and some felt for appliques to decorate the top of the box.  So far, it's turning out great - pretty bright and flashy, but perfect for a four year-old princess.  Smiley

Thanks so much everyone!  I'll post pics of the box tomorrow or Monday, so check back! 
super geek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2005 06:27:37 PM »

Hey, I hope this is Ok, but I aked if anyone in my girl scout troop wanted to send her postcards- I didn't go into specifics, just said she was in the hospital and a lot of people were sending her postcards.  This OK?  I will tell them to cease and disist i it's not.

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2005 11:11:58 PM »

i sent in 10 today! Smiley

-- thepromoshop.etsy.com

I am out of state for the month of August. All packages will be sent when I get back home!
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2005 04:51:17 AM »

That's totally fine, about the girl scout troop.  I think I already sent you the address, right?  The only thing is, they should know that I'm giving Alison the postcards in a week - we're driving up to Chicago this coming Saturday.  If they send them soon and they still arrive a little late, I can just mail them up to Alison to add to the box, so it's not a huge deal.  But if they want them to be given to Alison with the rest of the postcards, they would need to be sent soon.

Thanks for passing the word on the project, though!  I appreciate it! 

I'm going to post pics of the box later today.  My 10 mos old is teething today, but hopefully she'll take a nap and I can finish it.  Smiley 
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize a YouTube Channel - Photoshop Part 1/2
How to Customize a YouTube Channel - Photoshop Part 2/2
Photoshop Clone Stamp Tutorials
How to Make Digital Scrapbook
How to use Pen Tool in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...