A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Postcards for Alison  (Read 5082 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

daisyfairside
« on: August 26, 2005 11:03:41 AM »

Hi everyone!

This has been posted elsewhere, but it was suggested that maybe I add another posting where it may receive more viewers...  Forgive me if this cross-posting is irritating anyone... I'm not sure where the most appropriate place to post would be and some craftster members suggested this section, among others, so... I've just posted all over the place.  Smiley

My 4 year old niece, Alison, has a very aggressive cancer called neuroblastoma and has been battling the cancer for nearly a year now.  She has been at Children's Memorial during this time, and this past May experienced a brain injury - a side effect of an accidental overdose of her chemo treatment (her chart was misread).  Shortly thereafter, she had a stem cell transplant, which means she must be in complete isolation and insanely sterile conditions because of her compromised immune system.  She was moved to a rehab facility in Chicago this past month, to help regain some of her motor and verbal skills lost as a result of the brain injury.

She is doing fantastic and is SUCH a trooper, but she is stir crazy - and who WOULDN'T be?!?!?!  Soooo....

Another Craftster had the idea of a postcard drive.  A way to take a visual vacation from her hospital bed.  Alison hasn't traveled (aside from one family trip to Vegas a couple years ago - she LOVED the showgirls, heehee) and would be thrilled to see photos of all the places she hasn't been (but hopefully someday will).  Her parents are between residences, so I'm putting out a call for postcards to be sent to her, in care of my name, to my address.  I will then compile the postcards into a scrapbook to give her for her fifth birthday next month... I'm hoping to do the cover of the scrapbook with a map, marking the places she has received postcards from.  So, I'm looking at a deadline of early October, at the latest (as I probably will not be seeing her until then, after she is out of isolation and perhaps back home). 

I understand this isn't a swap, exactly, so please don't be offended by my request.  I will DEFINITELY post her reaction to the book and snap a pic to post.  If anyone is interested in participating, please e-mail me at daisyfairside@hotmail.com and I'll send you the address info.

Thanks so much!!!  I think Alison will be THRILLED to see all the support and well wishes in physical form.    Alison is totally my hero and I can't wait to present her with this project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selenium
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005 11:36:30 AM »

Is there anything that she would like besides a postcard?  I know she's only four, but does she have any hobbies?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daisyfairside
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005 11:58:06 AM »

Selenium,

That's very sweet of you to ask.  She doesn't really have many hobbies to speak of at the moment.  She has only limited use of her right side and is really just beginning to regain motor skills.  Prior to the brain injury she enjoyed stickers and paper dolls, but I'm not sure if that's still true.   

Now that she is in rehab, the restrictions on what she can and cannot have are loosening up.  She's been enjoying soft toys (before she couldn't even be near fabric because the dust mites were a danger to her compromised immune system - this is major progress) now that she is regaining use of her hands.

Anything is great.  I really think even the postcards will be very interesting to her. 

And everyone, THANKS A TON for the WONDERFUL response.  The craftster community is so very kind and thoughtful and I just can't say enough great things about you guys.  As this project moves along, I'll keep everyone posted on the response. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lalage
Stunt seamstress and textile artist!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005 09:54:53 PM »

I'd love to send her one of my fabric art postcards! Will email you privately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005 10:26:40 PM »

I sent a couple off today.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daisyfairside
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005 05:33:20 AM »

Thanks soooo much!  I really appreciate it.  Some postcards started trickling in yesterday so I'm soooo excited to see how many arrive in the next couple of weeks.  It will be nice to start organizing and putting the actual book together - I'm really looking forward to it!!! 

I can't wait to give this scrapbook to Alison!  I really think she's going to love it.  I remember last fall, before she was diagnosed, I knit a purse for her.  Her mom e-mailed me that night to say Alison loved it so much, because it was something that was made versus bought, that Alison insisted on even taking it in the bathtub while getting ready for bed that night!  She's such a funny little girl.

Thanks again everyone!  Keep 'em coming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005 06:08:05 AM »

Hi, are you happy to get postcards from England? Not sure how long the postage would take but I'd like to make some this week for her! Ph x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daisyfairside
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005 07:54:14 AM »

Postcards from anywhere at all are great!  I've so far heard from Australia, the UK, the US, and Canada.  I really REALLY appreciate all of the responses I've gotten and I totally appreciate the trouble the international craftsters are going through (i.e. the cost of postage internationally).  Thanks sooo soo much!

So far I've received about 10 postcards.  They are all fantastic!  I've heard from a couple people saying that they will be sending their own handmade postcards and that is awesome!  I think Alison will love seeing the places represented in some of the postcards and she will also love seeing the handmade cards people are sending!  Her father's BFA is in painting, so she is a super crafty/arty kid - in fact, for her first birthday I bought her an easel and drawing on her easel used to be one of her favorite activities.  So she's a very visual person, and I think she'll respond really well to this.

So thanks again everyone!  I'm going to wait a couple more weeks before I start assembling the book, so feel free to e-mail if anyone else wants to participate.  daisyfairside@hotmail.com  Those that I've already responded to, feel free to forward the address to anyone you think might like to participate - I'd post my address, but for obvious reasons don't want it just floating around on the internet.  Smiley

Thanks so much! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lau
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005 11:47:42 AM »

One from Bath winging it's way to you! For those of you in the UK thinking about it, it's only 45p postage for a postcard to the US so super cheap. I was surprised cause I thought it would be more, and so if the worry about he cost is putting anyone off, hopefully that will allay some fears!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005 11:31:18 PM »

Um. So the postcards that I thought I had sent apparently didn't go out with the rest of the mail after all. But they will most definitely be sent tomorrow. Sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ken Burns on Overcoming Filmmaking Obstacles
Ken Burns on “The National Parks”
Ken Burns on How the Film Shapes the Filmmaker
Henry Selick on Coraline Production
How Diffusion Gels Are Used in Film Making
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...