A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jacket to Bookbag(tutorial added)IMAGE HEAVY.  (Read 3060 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sassiecat321
« on: August 26, 2005 09:23:19 AM »

I'm new here, and thought I'd post my latest project. I hand-sewed it because my sewing machine is in transit.(we're moving) Anywho, here's the jacket:

Finished:

The Cell Phone Pocket:

The Inside:(I used some spare cord fabric and some fabric from a few old pairs of pants in my possesion.)

Sorry that last image sucks. I plan on using it for school... but I don't like the blackness of the handles. Any ideas?

Tutorial time. I'm sorry that this tutorial sucks. You probably can't understand it.

-Get a jacket out and lay it flat. Cut a straight line just below the arms of the jacket(make sure that the zipper, if you have one, is under this line so that you can keep it.), keep to the side for later.
Cut off the arms, and cut along the inside seams of the arms so that you have two squares instead of tubes. Cut one arm peice directly in half(you want to have two 5"x11" peices[sides], and one 13" x 5" peice[bottom]) I was able to get all three peices from the arms of the coat alone, you might have to salvage from somewhere.
Take the torso of the jacket and cut along the side seams so that you have two peices; the front and the back. My measurements for the torso peices were 13" x 11"

-sew the side peices to the torso peices so that you have the beginings of a bag with no bottom. My measurements after sewing these peices together was a rectangular prism that was 4" x 10" x 12"
turn inside out and sew the bottom peice so that you now have the makings of a bag. you should now have a bag that is 10 inches tall, 4 inches long, and 12 inches wide. If you have the zipper on your bag, it should work. this will come in handy BIG TIME.

-For the inside of my bag, I made 10 3.5" x 11" strips of fabric. Then I made two 5" x 11" strips of fabric. Then I sewed them together so that I had a 28" x 11" peice. Then I joined the two ends and sewed a 13" x 5" peice to the bottom so that I had an inside lining of my bag. ignore the measurements on the image.

-Now for the hard part(in my opinion). Take both peices and what you are going to be using as the straps of the bag.

turn your bag peices inside out and place the lining inside of the outside of your bag. pin your straps so that they are inbetween both the lining and the outside of the bag and so that the handles do not stick out, but are inside. sew, make sure you re-enforce the seams where the straps are(I made a box with an x in the middle)

Turn right-side out and enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010 01:37:42 AM by MareMare - Reason: to fix coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovelyscrubs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005 10:53:43 AM »

I really dont have any ideas but i do have a comment     that is beautiful i like how youdid that can the bookbag still unzip in the front
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005 10:57:48 AM »

That looks awesome. I was sceptical of your being able to improve on the jacket which looks pretty nice, but I was impressed by the bag. Great work! Could you perhaps use some of the other fabric from the bag or something else and just put random pieces of fabric on the handles? That way it'd still be strong but interesting. Dunno, just a thought.

Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fee
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005 10:58:23 AM »

You could bleach the handles? Or flick bits of bleach across it, to break up the black a bit?

I really like the bags Smiley Great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassiecat321
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005 11:29:25 AM »

I really dont have any ideas but i do have a comment     that is beautiful i like how youdid that can the bookbag still unzip in the front

Yeah it does... I might turn it into a pocket, but I'm not sure yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassiecat321
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005 11:55:38 AM »

Thanks for the comlipments! Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkcurtains
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005 09:02:55 AM »

i love this idea!  good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sassiecat321
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005 10:14:07 AM »

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dispatchgerl
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005 04:17:13 PM »

make slits and run ribbon in and out of the slits (especially cute if you make a bow in the middle of the strap. also try fabric paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Salsa Miggy
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005 07:37:02 AM »

That is so cool what a great idea!!!!!! Maybe tie a colourful ribbon around the handle to jazz it up n pin on some funky badges. I think the handles are fine but if u wanna change it why not decorate it/colour it in with fabric paint?!
~Sal
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a “No-Cook” BLT Flatbread
Traditional Crawfish Etouffee
How to Make a Grilled Reuben Sandwich
How to Make Your Own Egg McMuffin
How to Make Candied Yams
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...