A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amherst, MA  (Read 2032 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

apfersic
« on: August 26, 2005 08:57:25 AM »

I am starting at Umass Amherst in the fall, and all of the other Western Mass threads are kind of old so I thought I'd start a new one.  If anyone wants to get together out there and do some crafty stuff or has any recommendations on places I should shop or things to do I'd appriciate them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADD
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005 11:44:28 AM »

I go to umass too! Im afraid at this point i dream more than i make, but i'll get around to making some of the stuff in my little notebook of ideas someday. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apfersic
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005 12:54:13 PM »

I have a little notebook of ideas too!  Maybe we should get together and try to get something done = )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dramakweeen
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005 10:46:12 AM »

Hey kids, I go to Hampshire college, which is also in Amherst. You'll get to know a little about Hampshire when you get to the valley, so I won't really go into it now...but I have scoped out some of the crafty scene. What kind of stuff are you into?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The world has gone out of its mind. Unless we do something, humanity is doomed.
~Jean Giraudoux
apfersic
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005 03:03:41 PM »

I'm at Umass, but I do know where Hampshire is.  I paint, take waaay too many pictures, draw, sew, knit and crochet.  Oh and I'm also learning silk painting at the Umass craft center next weekend.
Should we try to organize some sort of crafty get together?  I'm new at Umass but there must be some crafty people around here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dramakweeen
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005 12:30:28 PM »

Unfortunately I'm completely overextended a tthe moment so I can't commit to organizing something else right now. However, if you want to throw something together, please do let me know and I'll try to be there
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The world has gone out of its mind. Unless we do something, humanity is doomed.
~Jean Giraudoux
apfersic
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005 08:56:22 AM »

Well I have found one group.  There is a Stitch n Bitch that meets on Wednesday nights outside Sweets n More (its on the orchard hill part of Umass campus) AND there is also a college drop in knitting group at WEBS in northampton on Friday afternoons from 3-5 but thats all I've found.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morningdrive

And one day, she just went bananas....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005 04:43:15 PM »

I'm a freshman at UMass too and would totally be interested in a crafting goup if you guys ended up putting something together.

Has anyone here checked out the craft center? Is it worthwhile? My roomie and I were going to go check it out someday soon if it's worth it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--kelley
apfersic
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005 12:25:45 PM »

Hey,
So nothing really ended up getting started b/c I think people are just too busy.  BUT there is a knitting/crocheting group that meets in Field outside Sweets n More on Wednesday nights.  I've been to the craft center and its so so.  They have a lot of really interesting stuff, but a lot of their supplies are pretty expensive as well which makes it really difficult for me to do much there b/c I'm a poor student.  Also its open kind of funny hours.  It closes at like 6 everyday.  And its not open Sundays.  Nights and weekends are really my free time so I haven't spent much time there.  But wow this is really long, good luck at Umass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iheartyourbrains
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006 11:54:13 AM »

Um...well, I'm from Amherst and Northampton, but I'm away for school right now in Providence. I used to go to UMass, but I've never heard of Sweets and more or sweet and more, what? I don't know, is that a nickname for one of the dorms, or is it a new store that opened? I didn't see it over this summer and I was working a lot around campus for my dad's company, but I guess I missed it if it is a store. Oh and what's webs in northampton? Do people who aren't from the area have like crazy nicknames for everything that locals don't know? I'm so confused. Anyway, since I moved here in September I can't say what's going on in the area as far as craft groups go, but in the past my friends and I have had craft nights in local cafes and they generally welcom it. We've met at the Haymarket, Java Net, I think that's it for cafe's, other than fire and water but they closed a couple years ago. Basically anywhere that has comfy couches. I don't think that Haymarket has couches anymore though. We would also meet in the community center at Amherst, but if you're going to bother with something like that than you can just meet somewhere in the campus center at UMass. You probably already know about Jo-Anns and Micheals in Hadley. There's a wool/knitting store in Northampton next to Pleasant St Theatre. There's the Guild on main street in Northampton, you'll walk out of there with one less arm with those prices though. Depending on what you do for crafts the thrift stores have always been really helpful in finding completely awesome crap to use for reconstruction or take bits and pieces from. Obviously the big huge over priced Salvy in Hadley on route 9, the one in Greenfield is cheaper, but you'd need a car. Roz's is extremely over priced these days too, but you're paying for them to sort through all the crap for you so sometimes it's worth it. Market Street in Northampton is an extremely good strip of antique stores to hit up for knick knacks, etc. Basically the places you need are the mall, walmart plaza, and salvy in Hadley, and downtown in Northampton and you can find whatever you need. There's an A.C. Moore in the Holyoke Mall, but there's nothing there that you can't find at Micheals or JoAnns. So yeah, I'd recommend just finding a cafe that you like and setting up a meeting there every once in a while, it's college so probably would only be able to do it alternating weeks or once a month. If there's going to be a lot of people check with the manager to make sure it's ok, but it probably wouldn't be a problem since you'd be bringing in money. Oh, wait, is webs the knitting store? I just realized it might be since I've never actually looked at the sign, I just go in there. The knitting store has knitting nights of course, and classes. I think I might go there when I'm back for the summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple and Satisfying Sliders Recipe
Quick Easy Recipes for Busy Moms
Truffles Mac and Cheese Recipe
Baked Rice and Peas with Chicken Recipe
Tri Colored Baked Mac and Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...