A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Goldi Doesn't Like the Bears  (Read 4426 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

butterlite
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2006 09:58:06 PM »

I took a look at your web site and i still think you should finish your illustrations/paintings, those unfinished white corners...look exactly as they are, very  much unfinished. I see what your intentions were in leaving them there, but they don't work. Just my opinion...but hey, you don't want a critique, or constructive criticism, you just want the praise. don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are bad. I think the finished parts are good..I'm saying that you could push your art a step further if you finish them!! I too am an artist. I've studied under painters such as Robert berlind, Harriet shore, and Nancy Davidson, Both of my parents as well are very successful painters,also studied under Irving sandler, Judy bernstein, and I assisted in many artists studios, I'm not going to post my resume  here. I've been in the biz I helped build the jumbo-tron, I currently teach, and am working on commissioned bronze doors.

But in the end, it's not the talent, it's who you know right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gloomyjewel
Queen of... uh..

Nernernerrrrr bugs in your hair :P

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2006 11:38:18 AM »

Woww I checked out your site and am in love with all the freakishly cute pieces like devil girl and bee baby.
Haa the elephant of constant innocence.. that one really caught my eye.
Anyway, i'm not an "artist", but it all looks so fabulous to me (couldn't think of another word Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erikau
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2006 06:37:53 PM »

Gosh, butterlite, I always thought a piece of art was done when its artist considered it done.  If you're working as as a commercial/commissioned artist, then yes, you might have to compromise your artistic integrity to make your customer happy.  Otherwise, you really don't have to satisfy anyone but yourself; if your creations appeal to other people then that's a bonus.  And if the other people like your art enough to give you money for it, that's even better!

For the record, I happen to like badbird's art enough to give her money for it (if I  ever had any extra after paying the mortgage--I think I need to start an artwork savings account). Evidently you don't, which is fine, and is even okay to say to the artist.  However, I don't quite understand your tone of "I'm a better artist than you are, so there, and here's my proof, I know famous people so you should do it the way I tell you".  Plus, what's with that last nasty little comment about talent and who you know?  Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, or what?   

Badbird--I believe you're in Southern California; did you hear or read any of the news stories from a few months ago about the sea lions in Newport Beach?  They've taken to piling onto docked yachts and hanging out all day, I guess they even caused one yacht to sink.  The local property owners are quite upset about it, and are after the city to do something.  My son said "Gold doesn't like the bears" was the first thing he thought of after reading one of the articles.

erika
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006 07:54:24 AM by erikau » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadBird
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2006 11:46:08 PM »

No I haven't heard about the seals.  I know in my area they are having problems with the seals in the La Jolla.  There is a place there called the Childrens Cove that the seals have taken over and there is plenty of fighting between pro sealers and pro "we want to sun bathe" people.  The thing is that in many places they have found that the seals increase tourism. Much like the seals that came and stayed at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.  But, I don't have any answers.

As for dear Butterlite.  She certainly seems to know a lot of very important people.  And, she has quite the resume'. It appears that she comes to craftster to impose her wisdom and knowledge, but alas, she doesn't realize we come to craftsters to share as equals.   She also doesn't seem to know the difference between personal taste and educated critique.

But, Butterlite has passed on some wisdom to me.  After seeing her attempts to "help" other people, it let me see how not to be.  And I wish to apologise to any other artist that I may have attempted to critique without being asked. I only know about my work and what I like and I should never attempt to make someones elses art like mine. Because what would be the fun in that?   We are all at various stages on our journey and it is only good!!!!!!!

Tell you son thanks for connecting with my painting.  It makes my heart glad.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006 11:58:46 PM by BadBird » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.andreazuill.com - Paintings and Embroidery
www.badbird.etsy.com - Art Prints and Embroidery patterns
http://zuill.us/andreablog/
fairyprincessbeaniebaby
"Nobody's ever asked me to a party before, as a friend! Is that why you dyed your eyebrow, for the party? Should I do mine, too?" -Luna Lovegood

thats right. l saw THE ROLLING STONES in concert!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2006 01:20:47 AM »

I took a look at your web site and i still think you should finish your illustrations/paintings, those unfinished white corners...look exactly as they are, very  much unfinished. I see what your intentions were in leaving them there, but they don't work. Just my opinion...but hey, you don't want a critique, or constructive criticism, you just want the praise. don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are bad. I think the finished parts are good..I'm saying that you could push your art a step further if you finish them!! I too am an artist. I've studied under painters such as Robert berlind, Harriet shore, and Nancy Davidson, Both of my parents as well are very successful painters,also studied under Irving sandler, Judy bernstein, and I assisted in many artists studios, I'm not going to post my resume  here. I've been in the biz I helped build the jumbo-tron, I currently teach, and am working on commissioned bronze doors.

But in the end, it's not the talent, it's who you know right?

butterlite i do not get what you meanby the last remark, itseems as it is working to your demise, as babdbird has shown her unabriged talent to us, while all you seem to have done is tell us WHY your opinion is more valuble
a problem, with your resume, seems to be like with a lot of trained artists, you have been overtrained, or undertrained,  as what badbird was doing is called USING SPACE and is one of the 3 things taught in year 7 art lessons.
(i do not mean to offend you, asthis is not a bad thing but it is a limmiting thing, almost replacing imagination with skill)
wow. you are inspiring. i am taking yr 10 visual art next year as a preperation for vce (aussie final exams for high school) and it is worryingly centred around media art/postmodernism. i have been freaking out that i will fail as postmodernism is not my thing. although my mum owns an art gallery/antique store, and my grandfather was chairman of the vic artists association, i STILL didn't realize that contempary art still held a place in todays society. until i saw your beautiful works. 'the queen of hard knocks' is one of the best paintings i have ever seen, its so beautifully reminiscent of works by Norman Lindsay
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd find the prettiest boy in school, take him home and neatly f**k him "
 -David Bowie
"Whether your browning, searing, or just setting things on fire a kitchen blowtorch is fun for the whole family!"
-Tom, QEftSG
http://www.piczo.com/ireallyfancypirates

Lover of all things kitch, retro, and
BadBird
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2006 02:28:15 PM »

Thank you!  And thanks for letting me know about Norman Lindsay.  I had never heard of him before so I looked him up on the net.  Great work.  But tell me, did they make a movie about him?

Good Lucky on your exams.  I always did so poorly in school.  Now that I am 43, I have gone back to school and my grades are much better.  I hate math and it hates me, but I got a "B" in prealgebra.

Let me know how it goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairyprincessbeaniebaby
"Nobody's ever asked me to a party before, as a friend! Is that why you dyed your eyebrow, for the party? Should I do mine, too?" -Luna Lovegood

thats right. l saw THE ROLLING STONES in concert!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2006 09:21:05 PM »

i think the BBC made a movie about him, and his prints always sell for around $800 he did this childrens book the magic pudding and the illistrations are just esqusite, and his brother jack lindsay did alot of pirates and landscapes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd find the prettiest boy in school, take him home and neatly f**k him "
 -David Bowie
"Whether your browning, searing, or just setting things on fire a kitchen blowtorch is fun for the whole family!"
-Tom, QEftSG
http://www.piczo.com/ireallyfancypirates

Lover of all things kitch, retro, and
nutritiongal
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2006 03:23:02 PM »

Wow, that is gorgeous.
And people always do that too, and I think, well, what did you expect.
It's kind of the same as some going out into the rain and saying, hey, I'm getting wet!

Anyway, great painting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back after a fews years of inactivity and looking forward to getting back into crafting!

Visit my blog: http://roaringtwentieskerri.blogspot.com/
BadBird
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2006 06:06:31 PM »

People have a hard time dealing with nature.  My Dad lives in a retirement park in a mobil home.  On his shed a dove had nested.  All the old folks around him told him to get rid of the bird because he would get mites and ticks  by the bird living so close to him.  He was about ready to do it when I told him that those birds wheren't going to disease him.  I told him to just not handle them or put them in his mouth.  He didn't think this was funny but he was relieved that he could keep the dove.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

entriq
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2007 09:41:18 AM »

I just revisited this painting here after being away for a while.  Very wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

entriq
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Beauty Tips
A Style Upgrade for a Work Holiday Party
Homemade Cure for Dry Skin
The Best And Worst Of Beauty In 2013
The Ultimate Guide to Dressing for a Work Party
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...