A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DORMANT: dreaddie hat, tam, etc (with patterns)  (Read 6481 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amylynne78

wammanuffaschmmookie?

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2005 09:53:33 PM »

does anyone have a pattern for this or like,an applejack hat or smothing? i wanna make some, but have not a clue how..i've tried several times to make my own pattern, but alas, i do not have the skills. anyway. if anyone has a good fairly simple pattern & would like to share, i would love to do this as a crochetalong!!! Grin
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013 07:19:01 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"all in the golden afternoon full leisurely we glide; for both our oars, with little skill, by little arms are plied, while little hands make vain pretence our wanderings to guide. "  ~lewis carroll
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005 10:00:43 PM »

I remembered seeing a few nice ones a while back by patchworkarmy

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=22332.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=23897.0

could probably PM her and ask
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
amylynne78

wammanuffaschmmookie?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005 02:21:35 PM »

nice, exactly what i was lookin for. i pmed her to see if she minds havin her tute used for a crochetalong. i'll let ya(if anyone's interested) know what she says.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"all in the golden afternoon full leisurely we glide; for both our oars, with little skill, by little arms are plied, while little hands make vain pretence our wanderings to guide. "  ~lewis carroll
amylynne78

wammanuffaschmmookie?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005 03:19:14 PM »

Grin ok so, im makin mine! i think im crocheting along by myself ahahah but that s cool. if anyone wants to join ...there's no time limit on these things, right? just make one and post a pic when you're done!   Wink

thanks , sarah for lendin your pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005 03:55:59 PM »

Well, we'd need to know the pattern (have it posted here?) in order to crochet along. I saw one similar I'd like to do. not a tam, but the same style.. the hat part is just smaller (I don't have dreds so I dont really have a need for a tam)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
virus_insanity

your one and only virus girl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005 10:57:56 PM »

I don't have dreads either, but I'm making some synthetic ones and I want to make a tam so i'll join you.  =D

Here's Sarah's pattern...
So, for the tam, just
  --make a small circle (chain 3 or 4 usually) and join with slip stitch, then
  --chain up to whatever stitch you like to use if you like crocheting in rounds.  If you like to just go and go like I do in a spiral, you can kinda just start stitching.  I mainly use sc, and hdc I think it's called?  Where you do *yo, insert hook, pull up a loop, yo, and pull through all loops on hook*.  Anyway, then once you've got your circle,
   --do as many stitches as you can fit inside the circle- just working into the big hole there.  You'll probably get like, 6-12 maybe.  Try to get an even number.  Cause even numbers are cool and also divisible by 2. duh.  Ok, then.
  --Then the first time around, you're pretty much swatchin it- to see how many increases you'll need for the gauge and yarn you've got. Start out like this:  (use whatever stitch you want- I'll just use sc as an ex. and don't forget to mark the beginning of the rounds with something)
  --2 sc in every sc around.  then
  -- *2sc in 1st st, sc in nxt st*, repeat from * to * across.
  -- *2sc in 1st st, sc in nxt 2 st*;  repeat **
  -- *2sc in 1st st, sc in nxt 3 st*; repeat **
  -- *2sc in 1st st, sc in nxt 4 st*; repeat **
ETC. Keep going like this
  --until you can either tell that it's going to lay flat, or you can see that it's getting ripply (too many increases) or it's cupping into a dome shape (too few increases). 
  --If you have too few or too many increases, rip it back until you're at the part where you're stitching into the big circle opening, and if you have too many increases, do fewer stitches in the circie.  If you have too few increases, put more stitches into the circle.  Then rinse and repeat until you get it to lie pretty much flat. 
  -- then keep increasing like that, adding one more sc between increases every round, until the frizbee thing is pretty big- depends on the amount of dreads going in how big you want it.  Mine end up being about 12-13 inches for hats that fit a lot of dreads like mine.  Smaller for someone without dreads. 
  --Then do a few rounds even- no increases.  I do about 3 or 4 I think.  Then start decreasing.
  --Decrease in the same way as you increased.  Look at the last row on increases- how many sc were between increases? 12? 15?  Use that for the # of stitches between decreases, and work your way back down.  15, then 14, then 13, each round.  with the decreases between.  OK?
  Then once it fits your head, stop and work a couple rows even again.  then add the bill if you want. 
  ***I realize the page I linked to is gone or having issues, so here's that pattern.  I didn't write it, and I give mad props to the mama who did.  She rocks the house and was super kynd to share! 
  Adding the Bill:
   "used a worsted weight yarn and 5mm hook (size H?)

use a beret or tam recipe, something like this rasta tam or this granny beret might be neat.

When the crown of the hat is completed work the first two rows of sc for the band and tie off. (I started the band with a contrasting color.)

join yarn with a slip stitch about 15 sts from the center back.

row 1 - (working in the front loops only for this row) ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next 24 sts turn

row 2 - ch 1, sc in same st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next 6 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 5 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 6 sts, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next st, turn

row 3 - ch 1, sc in same st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 9 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 4 sts, sc next 2 st tog, sc in next st, turn

row 4 - ch1, sc in same st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next 2 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 13 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next sc, turn

row 5 - ch 1, sc in same st, sc next 2 sts tog, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 17 sc, 2 sc in next st, sc next 2 sts tog, sc in next st. tie off.

join yarn with a slip stitch to center back and work 3 rows sc around band and brim (last row can be in a contrasting color, if you want.)"
  In her own words, ladies.  You got it here!
OK, go be creative!! And post pics here when you're done!  I want to see, dammit!  Or at least send me a message and a link to your thread!
Peace!
Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need cds by these people burn for me! THE PIMPS,Rasputina,My Ruin,Scarling,Switchblade Symphony,Concrete Blonde,The Dresden Dolls,Jack off Jill,Tapping the Vein,Darling Violetta,Kidneythieves,Lacuna Coil,Collide,Rhea's Obsession,Lennon,Tura Satana,Genitorturers,Hungry Lucy,Deathgirl.com,Chaiasm
amylynne78

wammanuffaschmmookie?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005 06:22:44 AM »

Roll Eyes thanks for postin that, jenni! i don't have dreads either, but i love these hats..you can make them to fit your head/hair size. do you guys think cotton yarn will work ok?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

virus_insanity

your one and only virus girl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005 09:24:22 PM »

I'm using cotton yarn, too.  It should work fine =D.  I don't have dreads, but I'm buying some sythetic hair to make synthetic dreads because I love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need cds by these people burn for me! THE PIMPS,Rasputina,My Ruin,Scarling,Switchblade Symphony,Concrete Blonde,The Dresden Dolls,Jack off Jill,Tapping the Vein,Darling Violetta,Kidneythieves,Lacuna Coil,Collide,Rhea's Obsession,Lennon,Tura Satana,Genitorturers,Hungry Lucy,Deathgirl.com,Chaiasm
stephen
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005 07:14:48 PM »

I've been reading up on tams and what people make them out of and most dreadheads suggest using wool yarn. wool attracs hair and makes your dreads fuzzier and helps them knot up better as I understand it. I'im planning on dreading my hair very soon and I  want to make my own tam to keep them in. Now i just gotta learn how to crochet...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amylynne78

wammanuffaschmmookie?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005 08:01:26 AM »

hey check out this link. http://learntocrochet.lionbrand.com/ on the "get a grip" page, the second way they show to hold the hook is waaaay easier. i tried to learn by having someone teach me in person, but i got way too confused and frusterated, i ended up going to the library and getting a book and teaching myself Smiley

yeah, wool does help dreads fuzz a bit...it's also a "drier" yarn, breathes well. i am unfortunately allergic to wool, though Undecided so cotten or hemp are usually the direction i tend to go in.

would you believe i still havent finished my tam?? i was sooo into it a couple of weeks ago, but now i have a bunch of other crap to do, so hopefully one night htis week i can sit down and finish her off! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stephen
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005 01:22:09 PM »

that site relaly helps, as soon as i get my stuff together im going to start practicing. i started my locks already and they could use a nice tam or soemthing. where can you find hemp yarn, or do i not know what ouy mean by that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amylynne78

wammanuffaschmmookie?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005 09:41:22 PM »

i get hemp yarn at a local store-they sell a bunch of handmade stuff and are kinda hippish..love tha way that place smells mmmm, but i digress, i can't seem to find it at any of the michael's or ac moores or anything around here. i'm sure you could find it online, too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RudOne
Lora

to begin again from the beginning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005 03:21:16 PM »

Hey,

I used this pattern for the hat, but I added some extra rounds for more lenght.

INSTRUCTIONS:
Specialty Stitch: Decreasing Dc (Dec Dc)
Yo, insert hk into st, Yo, pull through. Yo pull through 2 loops. Yo, insert hk into next st. Yo, pull through.  Yo, pull through 2 loops. Yo, pull through all remaining loops on hk.

Ch 5. Connect to form ring.
Round 1: Ch 3 (serves as 1st Dc, here and through out). Work 15 Dc into ring. Connect to beg ch. Round 2: Ch 3. Work 2 Dc into each st. Connect to beg ch.
Rounds 3: Ch 3. Work 1 Dc into same st.  *Work 1 Dc into next 3 sts.  Work 2 Dc into next st. Repeat from * around circle.  Connect to beg ch.
Round 4-6: Ch 3. Work 1 Dc into same st.  *Work 1 Dc into next 4 sts.  Work 2 Dc into next st. Repeat from * around circle.  Connect to beg ch.
Round 7-8: Ch 3. Work 1 Dc into same st.  *Work 1 Dc into next 8 sts.  Work 2 Dc into next st. Repeat from * around circle.  Connect to beg ch. (This is where you can adjust the overall Width of your hat.  Add as many rounds as needed to achieve the floppy of the hat.)
Rounds 9-11: Ch 3. Work 1 Dc into same st.  Work 1 Dc into each st around circle. Connect to beg ch. (With these rows you can adjust the overall length of your hat to accommodate the length of your Dreadlocks.  Just add as many rows as you need.)
Rounds 12-15: Ch 3. Work 1 Dc into same st. *Work 1 Dc into next 6 st.  Work 1 Dec. Dc into sts 7 & 8. Repeat from * around hat.  Connect to beg ch. (This is where you finish your hat to fit your head.  Add as many rows as needed to cinch the hat to your head size or stop at the particular Round where it fits your head.)
Last Round(s): Ch 1-2 (depending on size of st.) Work 1 Sc or Hdc into each st. Connect to beg ch. You can work as many rounds as you like to create a finished edge or even a hat bad.
End off and Weave threads
(www.chezcrochet.com)

The I used a pattern for the bill that is posted earlier in this thread and got this result:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2005 07:03:59 AM by RudOne » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005 07:28:23 PM »

One of my sons and one of my daughters has dreads so I was going to make them some of these for Christmas anyway, so I will join you.  I also have a pattern that I found somewhere.  Let me see.  Ok, here it is http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/crochet/tamrasta.shtml  I will look at the patterns tomorrow and see which one I want to make.  In the mean time, I love the one that RudOne has done.  Might try them all and see which one I like best.  Ha. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommabear1963

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005 05:55:50 AM »

Well I made it, you can see it here

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=67382.msg636539#msg636539

I must make more for Christmas, my two dread kids will love them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkyhooker
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005 12:42:13 PM »

http://patbythehook.blogdrive.com/archive/5.html
Ok, seriously, I had JUST BEEN looking at a pattern just like this when I found this thread.  Thought I'd post it for anyone who wants it! Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
andy8715
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006 02:35:55 PM »

i'm going to join.  I'm making two. one for me and one for my cuz.  He dosn't have dreads but he loves bob marley and dreads and the like.  Me also.  Plus i've lots of free time cause 2nd block i'm a library assistant and that consists of me stamping books and sitting around. and 4th block i get to go home early cause i have calculus ap 3rd so they just let us out for "college release" but most call it "nap time"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest.com/andy8715
mommabear1963

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006 08:54:04 PM »

I bought my last hemp twine and some hemp/cotton yarn at hemptraders.com.  Made a tam tonight using some of the hemp yarn and I like it a lot. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommabear1963

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006 09:55:20 AM »

here is a picture of the tam with the hemp yarn in it

Here is a picture of the tam I made using a different pattern

I keep catching my girl early in the morning before school to take the pictures and she does not appreciate it.  Anyway, this pattern came from here  http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/crochet/tamrasta.shtml

I am currently doing another pattern that I think I like a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommabear1963

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2006 09:26:54 AM »

ok, I made this tam using this pattern http://patbythehook.blogdrive.com/archive/5.html  thank you funky hooker for posting the link.  I really like this pattern as well as the one by patchworkarmy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MCRguitarMCR
on the brink of finding commotion

I love My Chemical Romance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2006 09:52:34 AM »

I have been looking for a pattern for this for a few months. my friend has dreads and she wants one and i want to make one but i havent been able to find any patterns. If I ever finish it (or start on for that matter) I will post pics
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchFIGHT
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2006 01:47:17 PM »

I'm making one right now, without using a pattern because I've never crocheted anything before EVER (so I don't know how to read the patterns yet). I just looked up what a double stitch thingy is and started working on the hat.
We'll see how it goes, I think I made too few increases the first couple of rows though. I might have to start all over again if it ends up looking horrible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wedding Hairstyles - Chignon
Hair Tips with Star Stylist Allan Avendano and Movie Star Joey King
How to Hide Thinning Hair
Five-Minute Health Fix for Dandruff
How to Maintain Color Treated Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...