A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Candle making questions  (Read 607 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

night_owl
Crafty Mom

I love being a mom!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 25, 2005 04:02:32 PM »

I hope this is the right place to put this (sometimes I'm not always sure where stuff should go).  Also if there is already a thread like this one already please let me know (I tried the search engine but didn't find anything Sad)

My cousin recently gave me a TON of candle making supplies.  I would love to make some candles but have absolutely no idea where to start.  I was going to just have her show me how but she bought it all with intention of making something but never did.  Any ideas/tips on where to look for info or what to start with would be greatly appreciated!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog

I'm back after a long time away and trying to find time to craft as I adjust to life as a mom!
lady4feet
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005 04:43:32 PM »

Check your local library for some books, or your local books-a-million/barns and nobles to sneak a look, lol. You do mean the whole candle sha bang right, like a double boiler, wax, wicks, molds, etc?
For the most part it's fairly simple, melt was in the double boiler, make sure it's not to hot cause it can catch fire! I'm going by memory here but I think the danger point is around 200 degrees. Center the wick in the mold or container you are using (it's easier if you have the wicks with the little metal things on the bottom and glue them onto the jar), and pour and let harden. The wicks in my opinion is the hardest part because they can drift before the candle starts to harden.
Or you can do the dip candle which is a bit time consuming, just dip your wick into the wax as many times as it takes for desired thickness. This is fun to do with different colored wax.
Hope this gives you the basic idea at least!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

night_owl
Crafty Mom

I love being a mom!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005 08:45:05 PM »

Thank you lady4feet!!  You are an angel!!  One question though...When you dip candles how do you keep the wick straight??  Do you just force it (I'm assuming it's easier with wax all over it) or do you tie something heavy to the end??

If anybody else has tips I'm always open for more help.  As I said, I'm REALLY new to this and can use all the help I can get!!

**Edit:
Oh yeah, one more thing.  If you use different colors when dipping; How do you keep all the different colors hot and liquid??
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005 08:48:02 PM by night_owl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog

I'm back after a long time away and trying to find time to craft as I adjust to life as a mom!
stoliedina
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005 09:49:53 AM »

I actually have a few candle related questions as well...

I have a Martha Stewart Christmas book (my guilty pleasure) and there are instructions for candle making in it, and she calls for adding a hardening agent such as stearic acid or synthetic hardening crystals. Is this REALLY a necessary step?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shimma shimma, glimma glimma, c'mere let me give you a lil' shhhparkle. - me Smiley

http://www.geekxnerd.com/
http://geekxnerd.etsy.com
impalacey
Almost exactly alike but not even remotely similar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005 12:36:20 PM »

At most Wal-marts you can find a candle making kit that comes with instructions a mold, candle wax, and a melting pot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
lady4feet
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005 09:33:36 AM »

About the dipping the wax should stay warm awhile, well if not warm then not harden at least. If you are worried about it you could do it on your stove so then if the wax does start to harden you can just stick the wax back in.
I've never heard of the hardening agent thing but I'm no expert. Maybe it's so it doesn't melt as fast? You know like when you make crayon candles and they don't melt quiet right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robinh
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005 03:30:57 PM »

For the most part it's fairly simple, melt was in the double boiler, make sure it's not to hot cause it can catch fire! I'm going by memory here but I think the danger point is around 200 degrees.

Yep. At 250 F you get toxic smoke and then flames.

A candy thermometer is useful for keeping track of your temps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New York Fashion Week 2013: Crafting Runway Hair
How to Add Volume to Your Hair with a Volumizing Catalyst
Alexander Wang Reinvents the Ponytail for Spring 2013
Hair Stylist For a Day at Altuzarra Spring 2013
How to Create a Low Ponytail from NY Fashion Week
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...