A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: For the love of trees..  (Read 9638 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

x_no_one_x
« on: August 24, 2005 06:14:58 PM »

Okay so, sad as it be, this is my entry..  *waits for laughing at its pitifulness to cease.*   I just wanted to be included, and prove that toilet paper can be used alternatively..

Im big into tree -love/recycling..and so this projects was inspired by my friends, who have decided that toilet paper usage is probably one of the ways we waste trees.. i think they may have been teasing me..
So i decided that giving up toilet paper is something that no one should have to give up.. so ive been trying to create ways to reuse it (dont worry, im y experimenting with clean tp) .. and therefore..

Its a bracelet, *yay.*

please ignore my fat wrist..

and look at pony, who is a way pimper model..

A close up of texture

I have determined that when reinforced it can be knitted!

First I stole the toilet paper from the potty at my home, then i used scotch tape to reinforce it, because the sheets kept ripping apart. Then i played around for a bit, and realized loose knitted was the best technique. (I used size 6 metal kneedles.)

It was originally going to be a cuff, but it just seemed right so i stopped.
Its not properly bound-off, as im uber untalented, but i incorporated dental floos, so you'd never have known if i hadnt told you. Maybe ill get points for ingenuity now?

SO yes, comment please, cause id feel special then..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005 07:03:33 PM »

lol haha its a cute idea? i might think of making something like it if you don't mind? just the idea but not the way you made it. but i know what you mean on the waisting trees! i am not a tree hugger but when i see people waste paper i scream at them! i mean do they want to kill the environment!! haha well anyways cute idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
x_no_one_x
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005 07:09:19 PM »

yay, im glad im not the only tree lover..

And i wouldnt care it you sopied the idea, as long as you spread the tree love..

thanks for being the first person to comment. I, as promised, feel special now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005 07:25:43 PM »

aww i'm glad you feel special! everyone deserves to feel that way because everyone is!! i'll be sure to post some pics once i make whatever i'm thinking of!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
craftykate
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005 07:38:25 PM »

http://www.zefrank.com/giveaway2/index.html

That's so funny. Made me think of Ze Frank.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
Jerome
giggedy, giggedy, giggedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005 09:52:27 PM »

very ambitious, you should send that into zefrank.

i forgot about his site, thanks for posting that!  too funny.  great minds think a like i guess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zitrone21

Ooh, I'm so blurry . . .

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005 07:29:51 AM »

I think you should get extra credit for most imaginative raw material.  That's too funny.  You could make a whole collection for different outfits using markers and paints and things.  Probably not, though.  Wink

I just looked at that Ze Frank site.  Interesting.  How many of the people in those pictures are drunk, do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykate
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005 10:23:24 AM »

I think you should get extra credit for most imaginative raw material.  That's too funny.  You could make a whole collection for different outfits using markers and paints and things.  Probably not, though.  Wink

I just looked at that Ze Frank site.  Interesting.  How many of the people in those pictures are drunk, do you think?

I would be willing to bet most to all of 'em. The rest of his site is hysterical too. I could waste hours looking at that stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yep, it's a knit blog

thecraftyminx

To fail is to try in the first place.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005 11:21:26 AM »

Okay so, sad as it be, this is my entry..  *waits for laughing at its pitifulness to cease.*   I just wanted to be included, and prove that toilet paper can be used alternatively..

Im big into tree -love/recycling..and so this projects was inspired by my friends, who have decided that toilet paper usage is probably one of the ways we waste trees.. i think they may have been teasing me..
So i decided that giving up toilet paper is something that no one should have to give up.. so ive been trying to create ways to reuse it (dont worry, im y experimenting with clean tp) .. and therefore..

Its a bracelet, *yay.*

please ignore my fat wrist..

and look at pony, who is a way pimper model..

A close up of texture

I have determined that when reinforced it can be knitted!

First I stole the toilet paper from the potty at my home, then i used scotch tape to reinforce it, because the sheets kept ripping apart. Then i played around for a bit, and realized loose knitted was the best technique. (I used size 6 metal kneedles.)

It was originally going to be a cuff, but it just seemed right so i stopped.
Its not properly bound-off, as im uber untalented, but i incorporated dental floos, so you'd never have known if i hadnt told you. Maybe ill get points for ingenuity now?

SO yes, comment please, cause id feel special then..

AWWWW, bless your heart!!!  Have you tried using the paper for mache projects?? Used with pva glue (elmers) watered down a little, its far superior to ripped newspaper pulp, takes food colouring brilliantly as dye, can be made into beads and baked on the lowest oven setting for half an hour (keep an eye on these tho!!) The list is endless!!!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykate
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005 11:39:29 AM »

oooo, never though of using tp for paper mache. must try that next time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yep, it's a knit blog

x_no_one_x
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005 08:32:27 PM »

Now that the challenge is over, just wanted to say thanks to al the people who voted for me, someone thought i was the bestm and that makes me feel uber special..

and thanks for all the lovely comments, ill definitly be the one non-drunk person on zefrank as soon as i figure out if i get a free sticker or something, so be expecting it..\

and possibly the continuation of the toilet paper creative usage series.. not sure about that though..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecraftyminx

To fail is to try in the first place.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005 12:47:13 AM »

Hiya,  just a continuation on my last message to you really..........i saw a piece somewhere ages ago, about tie-dye effect tissue using kitchen paper.  They dampened it first, then used a dropper to drip various colours of ink onto it.  As the paper was wet, it had a really beautiful "bleeding" effect.  The other one I saw on "Art Attack" only a few weeks ago, with a wet-wipe being used instead of a tissue.  He pulled it up from the middle of the sheet, so it draped, and put a small elastic band around the middle, so it looked like a long pleated finger, then used normal felt tips to colour all the tops of the creases.  When he took the elastic band off and opened it all out, it had a really pretty starburst effect coming from the centre of the sheet......really pretty!!!  I suppose this could be used as scrapbooking/card embellishing paper or similar...and each one would always be unique!!!    Hope these tips help to keep you motivated, and that you get your sticker in the end Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Headshot Lighting Techniques
How to Create an Executive Portrait
How to Create Lighting in a Studio
Lighting Techniques Using 1 large light source.
Comparison Between Ringflash and Rayflash
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...