A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,563
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pattern / problem finishing Adriafil sweater  (Read 1707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hinke
« on: April 17, 2004 02:46:56 PM »

Last week I knitted the Adriafill 'Pull Hippy' but now that it's finished and sewn together I'm having a problem with the model;
The neck line of my sweater seems to be different from the sweater the model is wearing on the photo that goes with the pattern:

sweater on Adriafil photo, with straight v-neck:

neckline of my sweater, that doesn't have the same v-shape but is more like a rectangle (?):

I'm sure I knitted the exact same parts as drawn on the chart that goes with the pattern:

I'm supposed to weave a cord (you can see it on my picture) "into the stitches around the neckline" but that doesn't change the rectangular shape of the neckline.
I also tried to think of other manners to sew the parts together but I really don't see any other way than I did.

So I'm not sure... Am I missing something in the pattern (http://www.adriafil.com/html/img/riviste/mag34/modelli/file_istruzioni/uk/11_hippypull.pdf)
or did Adriafil make a mistake or even altered the sweater for the sake of picture?

I'd love to hear your ideas and, hopefully, clues on this problem!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2004 05:40:25 PM by jipster » THIS ROCKS   Logged

why don't you crafty hipsters read Dutch?
io
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004 05:17:31 PM »

you have done everything correctly, except choose your pattern! the picture is misleading. the neckline is indeed square-ish, but the two 'corners' you have to join with the cord fall back if not tied up - if you look closely on the picture you can see one of them - making it look like a v-neck in a bad photograph.

i must admit that while the photo on the front looks like a v-neck, i am not sure why you still thought it was a v-neck even after looking at the chart, which clearly that shows the jumper is not a v-neck. have more confidence in your knitting ability, there is no way you could have accidentally made a v-neck square.  Grin

unfortunately the knitting world is full of dodgy patterns with misleading pictures. the people producing them make mediocre garments look interesting by giving the model accessories, or less "old" by putting them on a teenage model, or better-fitting by showing the model in an odd position. i have given up on patterns completely, as so many of them are not designed for women of my age and bustline!

i'm sorry, but if you really want a v-neck you will have to rip out the whole top of the front and put regular decreases in instead of that sort of slit, to make a sloping neckline. personally i would just put up with the fact that it is not quite as expected, as it looks like it will be a lovely jumper with a deep neckline anyway. next time, check the chart before you buy the pattern to get a better idea of what the garment really looks like!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hinke
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004 06:24:14 PM »

Thanks for your detailed reply - you're probably right about choosing my patterns right.
 I guess i was hoping that somehow there was a solution to getting it just the way the model shows it (including her o la la sexy Italian boobs. Maybe some plastic surgery will make the sweater fit perfectly ;-) I'll settle with this result and in the future try to think first - or in this case look first - then act.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004 06:40:22 PM »

For what it's worth, i think your sweater looks lovely!
It also might be somewhat in how you wear it - it looks like she's got it so that the sleeves are worn like they're regular sleeves, rather than raglan - so the seams go up to her shoulders rather than across the tops of the boobs.  maybe if you put it on and play with it, you'll get the Vneck effect
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hinke
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004 08:01:53 PM »

thanx Melidomi, i'm quite happy with it, it's just that I was wondering why it turned out different. Probably i'll be in front of the mirror all day to try different ways of wearing it Wink

btw, i read in http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=4973 you are knitting from an Adriafil pattern as well, and had a problem with it too. Hope you'll show us your result, since i've been considering the pattern myself - i love the random 'dropped stitch-like' thingies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlings
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004 10:00:19 PM »

Hey jipster, if you really want a v-neck, you do a pseudo-steeking manoevre.  It will seem bonkers, but if you really don't like what you have, this will :

In one continuous line, tightly machine stitch the v-shape you want your sweater to have instead (for example, from neck edge at the raglan seams to the bottom of the current opening).  

*Cut* away the fabric you want to eliminate, about a centimetre or so above the stitching.

Pick up the stitches on the other side of the machine stitching and around the back neck edge and either  do a narrow I-cord or other bind-off or edging.

Wacky, I know, but it works.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hinke
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004 03:47:40 PM »

Hmm.. that sounds like something worth trying, or at least like an interesting experiment.

Is what you're describing really some kind of hemming? I think i get the idea... it may be wise to try this on some old knitted garment or a swatch first, but i'm definitely considering it. Love to do wacky things that work out well Smiley

thanks for the advice,  starlings! i'll post a picture here when finished, to spread the word of your technique.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004 03:57:33 PM by jipster » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goddess
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004 06:00:29 PM »

I like the way your turned out. The color is lovely and I love the neckline.Ahhhhhh but I am so jealous of the skills!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LAWebChick

Death came on silver booties

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2004 08:58:40 PM »

It's beautiful! Can you tell us what yarn you used?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2004 09:57:29 PM »

Is what you're describing really some kind of hemming? I think i get the idea... it may be wise to try this on some old knitted garment or a swatch first, but i'm definitely considering it.

It isn't really hemming because you're only machine sewing through one layer of fabric.  You're just making a  line of machine stitching that will hold the stitches and stop them from unravelling when you cut into the knitted fabric.  Then you can pick up the stitches on the other side of the stitching and create a border that encloses or otherwise conceals the cut edge.

testing on a swatch first is a great idea.  Cutting your knitting can be terrifying/thrilling. There's a description of how this technique is used in stranded knitting here:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/FEATsteeks.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...