A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,299
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Belly Dance Swap?!?  (Read 7924 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

S.C.K.

Not everything is obvious, explore...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005 02:49:28 PM »

Is it cool if I wait a wee bit till I have some more time? ( I'm a bit squeezed for time right now cause I have tons of stuff to send off to people at postcardx, a schooltrip I have to join in on and help council, a concert I heave to help along with and then some homework to catch up on) I would totally love to make something, but I want to be able to give someone something I have spent time and energy on and something they will obviousely enjoy and will enhance the BD experience for them. Can I check this spot out later then, and send off smth at another time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flareon
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005 02:52:01 PM »

Well this all sounds super cool! I took a BD course a while back and I really liked it. What could I do to contribute?

Anything you feel like making that you think your partner will enjoy.  You may want to discuss more in detail with your partner, see if she wants/needs anything you can provide. <--(bolded for anyone to easily see, not yelling at you Wink)  A typical package may contain things like: Mixed CD, bracelets/armlets/anklets (one or all three, you decide), maybe a trinket or two, and maybe a simple practice veil.  Or you can just go the focused route and make one really nice thing, like a tote or duffle bag to take to gigs or class.  I know several have questions regarding the types of things to swap, but I want everyone to give themselves plenty of freedom to make whatever they think is awesome and enjoy the crafting process!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flareon
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005 02:54:05 PM »

Is it cool if I wait a wee bit till I have some more time? ( I'm a bit squeezed for time right now cause I have tons of stuff to send off to people at postcardx, a schooltrip I have to join in on and help council, a concert I heave to help along with and then some homework to catch up on) I would totally love to make something, but I want to be able to give someone something I have spent time and energy on and something they will obviousely enjoy and will enhance the BD experience for them. Can I check this spot out later then, and send off smth at another time?

Tell me about it. Tongue  I'm a bit swamped as well.  I was actually thinking about pushing back the sign up and send date a while until I can get free up my schedule some more.  When would be a better time for you? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
S.C.K.

Not everything is obvious, explore...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005 02:59:03 PM »

I should be doing better in about a month...I think? If I am dying of boredom or my hands start itching I may start ahead though ;)teehee.

I tend to multitask though so if you have any time in the future that works for you, lemme know. I am flexible! ( That alas isn't a physical trait brought on by my yoga classes)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cowgrrl
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2005 03:01:46 PM »

I'd be interested but I'd want a limit on things sent.  I could send a CD & such but theres no way I could make a hip-scarf or something big like that!

Actually hip scarves are pretty easy to make if you get creative.  You can find out what colors your partner likes, and if she likes beads, flowers, or any other embellishments, and then you can cut out fabric like velvet or satin and sew along its edges some fringe, maybe add a few tassels or coins here and there, and embroider some motifs with beads.    

I have to say that I have spent upwards to about 5-7 hours crafting for someone and many others have spent much more, so a hip scarf isn't really such a huge production.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing by your profile you haven't done any swaps yet?  Perhaps it sounds crazy, but people here really do work really hard (too hard maybe? Wink) to make fabulous gifts for eachother.  Also, we usually set about at least 3 weeks or more to come up with a package, so you will have some,if not a lot of time.  

It's totally understandable if you don't have the time or resources to devote so much into a swap, because well, some people just have busier lives.  There is a "beautiful music CD swap" I am currently planning (look in NEW SWAP IDEAS), so maybe there's something you might like joining, if you don't feel like joining this one.    

I can do sewing on fringe or whatever, I was just concerned about having to hand sew billions of coins & beads on a scarf!!!!  

AFA swaps, I've just signed up for my first.  Don't count me out of this one totally!  I need to give it some thought but it might be managable.  You mentioned a veil or a tote bag in another post & thats totally within my do-ability.  

AFA a better time, maybe middle of November?  Around the 10-15ish?  Enough time before Thanksgiving but after the chaos of Halloween.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flareon
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2005 03:15:14 PM »

I can do sewing on fringe or whatever, I was just concerned about having to hand sew billions of coins & beads on a scarf!!!!  

AFA swaps, I've just signed up for my first.  Don't count me out of this one totally!  I need to give it some thought but it might be managable.  You mentioned a veil or a tote bag in another post & thats totally within my do-ability.  

AFA a better time, maybe middle of November?  Around the 10-15ish?  Enough time before Thanksgiving but after the chaos of Halloween.

I guess I misread your post. Smiley  Of course I won't count you out.  As for the time, I'm not really sure yet.  I want everyone to have plenty of time, but some who have time now won't have time later.  Allow me to take a vote. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flareon
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2005 03:17:00 PM »

Everyone, how is sign ups during mid-October and send outs by mid-November? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cowgrrl
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2005 03:30:53 PM »

I guess I misread your post. Smiley  Of course I won't count you out.  As for the time, I'm not really sure yet.  I want everyone to have plenty of time, but some who have time now won't have time later.  Allow me to take a vote. 

No prob!  I think when you said 'hip scarf' I imagined spending every waking hour (& then some) heavily beading a scarf.  I'll be in if I can get my feedback from my 1st swap back in time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meg4568
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2005 04:07:52 PM »

that time frame is good with me, but seeing as i dont know anything about bellydancing, i would feel bad if i send lame stuff to someone. Would it be possible to get advice on this kinda thing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cowgrrl
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2005 04:31:35 PM »

I'm no where near an expert but I started a document with stuff jotted down.  Here's a few things I've come up with:

-veil (with embroidery or sequins)
-tote bag with bellydance design
-zill mufflers & zill bags(these are *really* easy to make)
-hip scarf
-picture magnet (I have a few pictures of Rachel Brice from a performance a few weeks ago that could be made into a pretty cool magnet)
-jewelry (rings, dangling earrings & big necklaces & bracelets, anklets)
-arm covers (these can be as simple as a tube with elastic at each end)
-Mix CD 

hope this helps. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Hottest Styles for Kids This Spring
Fostering Your Child’s Inner Fashionista on a Budget
How to Dress Your Little Boy Like A Celebrity Kid for Less
Angelina Jolie and Stella McCartney Design Kids Line
Bonnie Young Kids Fall14
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...