A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,882
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Math Anyone?  (Read 603 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MamaCraft
« on: August 24, 2005 09:21:10 AM »

Ok, I'm having a blond moment!!  Actually it's a math moment...

I want to make an "I Spy" quilt (actually 4).  It will be roughly 60" x 60", depending on how big I make my squares (which is another question I have, what size do you all think?).

For 6" squares it would be 10 x 10 squares.  I'd need to start with 6.5" squares.  My problem is figuring out how much fabric I need.

What I'm ultimately trying to figure out is if it would be cheaper to by my fabric off the bolt or just by the 100 pre-cut 6" squares off ebay.

HELP!!  I'm getting a headache  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarybow
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005 11:28:37 AM »

How many different fabrics are you going to use?

I cut most of my fabric after I have folded selvage to selvage and then selvages to the fold (so you have four layers of fabric).  Trim the edge to even, and make 6.5 inch strips.
Selvage to selvage is about 42 inches of usable fabric, so out of each strip you will get 6 squares at 6.5 (42/6.5) inches. 
With your measurements below, you will need 100 squares total.  So you would need 17 strips total (100/6).  17 strips at 6.5 inches each is 110.5 inches or a little over 3 yards.  BUT you have to make sure that the cuts you get will be enough to cut how ever many 6.5 inch strips you want... 

If you wanted to use say, 6 fabrics, you would use 3 strips of each fabric.  So that would be about 20 inches of each fabric (3x6.5).  But I would get about 22-24 inches to be sure. 

Let me know if that makes any sense or if you have any more questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmoore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005 04:25:08 PM »

Sarybow's method is helpful, but remember that for an I-spy type quilt, you'll have to fussy cut-that is cut your squares so pictures are in the centre. This can end up being rather wasteful, and it would be hard to say how much fabric is necessary without looking at the print. You will need more than when you are just straight cutting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Beef Pho Part 1/2
How to Make Poori Part 2/3
How to Make Poori Part 1/3
How to Make Poori Part 3/3
How to Serve Tempura Shrimp and Vegetables
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...