A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,669
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Japonesque Jacket from Seventies Leisure Sweats ...  (Read 2131 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tinaah

So much fabric, so little time!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2005 03:13:03 AM »

This is my first recon ... and first post here. First off, you guys Rule!

I saw some of my buddies making similar garments with old sweatshirts, but thought this one could do a bit better, having a nice built-in front and even a ribbed collar.

I brought together my collection of Japanese fabrics, and Japanesque ones (American made, but in the Japanese style) too ... and cut up the sweatshirt's sleeves and side seams, covered the front and back in snips and squares, sewing just a bit into the squares but allowing for a raw edge. Sewed it back together, made a bias binding for the bottom hem and sleeve hem.

The cotton binding fabric I used is called "Origami" (the Japanese folded paper art) and a coordinating skirt I want to make in this fabric, in a pattern by The Sewing Workshop, "Origami Skirt," is next on the list.

After sewing it together, I washed it, to fray the raw edges, then decided to stitch the sleeves instead of covering them with similar fabric snips. Instead, I used a traditional Sashiko pattern to imitate the time-consuming, but beautiful, Japanese style (Sashiko) hand-quilting, on the sleeves.

I traced a pattern from a book by Kumiko Sudo, then repeated it over and over, on freezer paper. Once I filled up a page, I scanned it and printed it on more freezer paper in my printer, then ironed all the freezer paper stitching templates onto the sleeves. Sometimes I could find a continuous machine-quilting pattern and sometimes I had to fudge it a bit and go over the already quilted sections ... it's not so perfect, in other words. Smiley I did bobbin work for this one, meaning that I stitched it from the reverse side, using thicker thread #8 Perle Cotton) in the bobbin to show on the top side. Thick threads don't work so well in a machine's needle; ask me how I know this! Smiley  Monofilament (smoke colored) thread in the top .... even though normally I don't like working with this stuff. 

Ripping off and then tweezing off the finest bits of freezer paper proved very entertaining; when fiber-friends came over, I'd point to the pile of torn, shredded refuse under the couch  and say a mouse had chewed up my living room.

Then I lined it ... wanted it to glide over any sweaters etc for harsh No. California winters, when a road trip spontaneously combusts!

I can give more details if wanted, but I've probably gone off enough for a newbie and first-timer here. ]I love you all for your brilliance, fearlessness and beauty, by the way. Smiley It's a bit big on  me, I know, but I wanted to layer nice big sweaters under it for cold California winters up in Monterey and points north.

Tina

THIS ROCKS   Logged

We walked around 'til the moon got full like a plate,
and the wind blew an invocation and I fell asleep at the gate.
And I never stepped on the cracks 'cause I thought I'd hurt my mother.
And I couldn't awake from the nightmare that sucked me in and pulled me under, pulled me under.
 -- Jeff Buc
MisfitRed
scarlet crimson sanguine rose carmine vermillion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005 06:36:37 AM »

That looks great, I love it!  Japanese textiles are so wonderful.  Clever idea to do the sashiko-pattern machine embroidery on the sleeves Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There's no smile of an angel without the wrath of God..."
~HIM, "Heartache Every Moment"
Dolores
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005 06:39:55 AM »

Cool ooooh that's great! very labor intensive too, how long did it take you to do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005 08:23:20 AM »

wow! that's so great! I love Asian fabrics, too... Having little bits of previous projects on your jacket would be a constant great reminder of bygone crafting. Err, or something like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
tracia
I'm trying.

Mom?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005 08:40:34 PM »

Your words are great and your jacket out-of-this-world.  Any details/images you post will be appreciated here so just have fun, and welcome to your family.   
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005 08:43:21 PM by tracia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tobacco is not addictive.  I should know; I've been doing it for years.
Tinaah

So much fabric, so little time!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005 12:05:03 PM »

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments! I'm really cozy in it!

Cool ooooh that's great! very labor intensive too, how long did it take you to do it?

Welp, it wasn't an overnight project, to be sure! Then again, now I got a jacket! That's worth something ...

The hardest part was placing the fabric bits and pieces ... lots of fun, tho! I sort of put it away for awhile and came back to it ... then kept thinking of stuff to do to it ... the lining took awhile because I had to make a pattern for it, based on the jacket parts, then figure out how to attach it to an already existing garment, if that makes sense.

Never lined anything before ... but it feels so good and it will slide on over big sweaters much better now.

Now I gotta lurk on the knitting section and learn me how to knit a sweater! Smiley

Love you guys,
tina
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We walked around 'til the moon got full like a plate,
and the wind blew an invocation and I fell asleep at the gate.
And I never stepped on the cracks 'cause I thought I'd hurt my mother.
And I couldn't awake from the nightmare that sucked me in and pulled me under, pulled me under.
 -- Jeff Buc
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 100 Pokemon: Tyranitar
Top 100 Pokemon: Zapdos
Top 100 Pokemon: Zekrom
Top 100 Pokemon: The Top 10
Behind the Scenes with Cali Swag District
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...