A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nicolas Ghesquière's Balenciaga Coat  (Read 3713 times)
Tags for this thread: coat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Black Lamb
« on: August 23, 2005 09:34:19 PM »

Seeing as I'm in love with Balenciaga bags (and considering it will be another five years before I even consider getting one thats not a good thing) I decided to check out their new fall/winter collection and fell in love with this coat:

I looks relatively simple but I'm having a hard time finding a pattern close enough that I wouldn't have to do mega alterations so any suggestions would be great  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?
girlwonder
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005 09:41:28 PM »

I really love that coat...I feel like i recently saw a pattern similar to this...i'll keep an eye out for it again...I can't seem to remember where I saw it at the moment.

good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gracie Girlwonder

"A vagabond, when rich, is called a tourist." -unknown

"To be somebody, a woman does not have to be more like a man, but has to be more of a woman." —Sally E. Shaywitz, neuroscientist
olenka

if i can't dance, i don't want your revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005 11:08:44 PM »

That Is really beautyfull coat. I think That what is most interestink in it are the proportions, It has weary narrow torsow and weary wide bottom. Most coats are not that narrow in top part because autos expect you to where warm cloths under it (meaning winter cloths) so it may be hard to find Cathe like that. I would find a jacket pattern with similar neckline, and elongate it. Fore elongating you  by adding a pattern of a coat with flared bottom. Probably what I wrote hire is what you meant talking about doing mega alterations. Sorry that I cant be more helpfull.
http://www.burdamode.com/M9001_Jacke,1000003-1264507-1264510-1001617,deDE.html you could modify this jacket easily because it has seam across waist(sp.) line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolores
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005 05:39:19 AM »

olenka is right, you need to look for a jacket and fiddle with that, because the whole point of this is it is very 'neat' in the body....most coat patterns are designed with lots of ease so you can fit your winter woolies under, which is soooo not the point of this coat!

Look for a princess seamed jacket pattern with a 2-piece sleeve (trust me!) either single or double breasted and you will need to do this: mock it up in muslin or cheap fabric, and fit it on yourself (grow an extra pair of hands, or get someone to help, or use a dummy)...you need to make it very slick through the shoulders and slim through the sleeves and waist. Once you have it fitted you can use it to generate your coat pattern.

You need to slightly flare & elongate the sleeves, and flare the body of the jacket into a princess seamed coat (does that make sense?), also re-draw the collar style lines, but that's all *relatively* easy if you can do simple pattern alterations.

Thinking about this, if you are wary of doing the alterations, maybe look for a dress pattern with princess seams, long sleeves (they won't be 2-piece tho) and a similar collar/ Then try making it up 1 size bigger...tho frankly with the vast amount of ease put into most patterns you may not even need that!

HTH, and BTW, great taste in coats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatDr5

In the end, everything is a gag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005 01:45:31 AM »

That is a really beautiful coat and I wish I had the sewing expertise to even attempt to make it It looks really structured and lighyears ahead of my ability Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ryn
bubblebutch
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005 03:31:26 AM »

Hi There. I've been working in the retail filled with his collection since 1999. One of the significant style of Ghesquire is its supa narrow sleeves no matter how the body width are, and comes with slim / high shoulder pad similer to the Macqueen's.  Normally jackets has no space other than fine under shirts as it has been mentioned above, many clients gets shocked by not able to put the top arm through in their usual size.

Find a pattern and trim down the sleeve and it will automatically make the top section small anyway.

Good luck Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sew_n_see
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005 03:26:35 PM »

How about modifying Simplicity 4962?  This pattern is a Matrix-style overcoat or a Catwoman coat.  It is in the Halloween costume section.  If you can get past the dorky pattern photo, I think this pattern has a lot of the elements you're looking for - princess seamed coat, lowered V-neck, mid-calf length.   I'd strongly encourage you to make a muslin of this in clearance fabric with the weight and texture that you intend to make the real coat.  You will get an idea of the drape and an opportunity to try to make the collar stand.  You'd have to use some heavy interfacing for that. 

You will need to close the side vents, make the bodice and sleeves more fitted, redraft the center front pieces, add lining, make a cutaway hem, add the belt, and add patch pockets.

If you live near Joann's, they are having a 13-hour sale on Saturday, August 27.  Simplicity patterns will be $0.99.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IAte86Crayons
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005 11:11:03 AM »

Oooh I love that coat. When I first saw it I thought of the Matrix and then I saw that sew_n_see recommended a Matrix costume pattern.  Cheesy Good luck at making it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Avocado Hair Mask Refresher with Meghan Rosette and Lauren Elizabeth
How Sweating Benefits Skin and Cellulite
How to Look Like a Celeb in Pictures
At-Home Teeth Whitening Products That Actually Work
How to Do Your Makeup Like Rosie Huntington-Whiteley
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...