A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Orange Slice Rug **with detail pics and new fruits**  (Read 25125 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thecraftyminx

To fail is to try in the first place.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005 02:25:22 AM »

First off, I love all the different things people have used to crochet in this challenge.  Truly inspiring!

So, here's my contribution....

The Orange Slice Rug!  It is made from a bright orange sheet (full/double size), and some fabric from a white knit sheet and an old dormitory bedspread.  I cut all the fabric into strips, tied them together, and started to crochet.  First a little white circle in the middle, then all the fabric strips from the orange sheet, then a row of white, and finally, some 'rough' fabric strips from the bedspread for the rind.  After that was done, I went back and chain-stitched through the rug (embroidered?) to make the sections.  Looks good enough to eat!

How long did it take you, from start to finish roughly, including the time it took you to cut all the strips, and sew afterwards?Huh  And how much would you sell it for......hypathetic ally speaking??  I love it by the way, u very clever Wink...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eakircher

gimme your garbage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005 03:55:25 AM »

Thanks everyone for all the nice compliments!!!  After this one, I fell in love with the idea and made a lemon, lime, and grapefruit as well as a kiwi (which isn't citrus, but looks damn cute!)

Crafty Minx,  actually I guess I have a confession to make.  I've been crocheting with fabric for years and have opened my own business selling them last year.  So, it doesn't take me nearly as long as a novice crocheter or fabric crocheter to make one.  But I have a special cutting procedure with a rotaray cutter so that doesn't take so long.  But the entire process is:  get fabric (I buy all mine from thrift stores), wash it, cut it, take it outside and shake it out, tie the ends together and roll it into balls -- this keeps some of the dust/loose fibers out of the house, which isn't that big of a deal if you are only making one, but since I'm doing this everyday and work from home, I made that a mandatory step for the sake of my husband and cats.  Okay, next crochet it all up and then embellish.  Minus shopping and washing, this rug probably took about 3 hours and it was priced at $40.  It is already gone though!  But, hypothetically, I could make another one... Smiley

faeriedust112088, it measures about 30 inches in diameter.  Thanks!

Thanks again everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005 06:13:48 AM »

So cool!! Is there any way you could add a close-up picture to the first post in this thread?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
Hope98
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005 06:18:49 AM »

wonderful idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It get's in your eyes, It's making you cry, Don't know what to do. Don't know what to do
You are looking for love, Calling heaven above...

Send me an angel, Send me an angel
Right now...Right now
NessaGurl
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005 06:37:12 AM »

I love it so much...too bad I can't crochet...yet! Wink I have a lemon citrus mat in front of our stove in our kitchen, and a mat like that would look perfect for in front of the sink.

great job

Nessagurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005 06:44:17 AM »

That is wonderful.  I just spent the last 20 minutes digging through your website, great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ILiveForJesus
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005 06:46:46 AM »

I love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hakue
Creative Chaos

You can't put that on a steak and eat it!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005 09:35:57 AM »

That's so cool!  I agree, a close up picture would be nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art."
Tom Stoppard  

Horrah for quotes! Cheesy
zitrone21

Ooh, I'm so blurry . . .

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2005 11:50:49 AM »

That's so cute.  My niece would love it for her pink and orange bedroom.  Now you can make lemon and lime and grapefruit and have an entire fruit bowl for your floor!

oops! Apparently I didn't read the entire thread before I posted.  I see you do have a citrus bowl on your floor!  Cool.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005 11:57:25 AM by zitrone21 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
geewillikers
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005 11:53:16 AM »

I love how it looks like something you would find in target.  Not that it's a bad thing.  I think it's done really well and I would buy that if I saw it somewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not the end of civilization, but you can see it from there.....Robin Williams
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
KD101: Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli
Family-Owned Soul Food Restaurant Visited by Celebs & Politicians
Richard Blais’ 10-Minute Chicken Dinner
Sautéed Collard Greens Recipe
How to Make a Beautiful Bouquet of Chocolate Bacon Roses
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...