A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: beginner+ project ideas?  (Read 1295 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lavendar420
« on: April 16, 2004 03:00:25 PM »

Hello,

I'm pretty new to knitting & very new to these boards, and I'm looking for an idea of what to do next. I've made a scarf, a couple of snb "hot head" hats, and the cell phone holder from that book too. I'm tempted to try a sweater, but am afraid of spending the time & money and not being able to pull it off. I'm thinking of making either the sonnet sweater from knitty http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTsonnet.html or the zipper hoody from hip to knit http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931499217/qid%3D1082152617/002-4994487-0896808 (sorry, can't find a pic of the sweater)

Do those look pretty easy? Also, which is easier to do, buttons or a zipper?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Regime change begins at home
http://www.moveon.org/
famousamos9787
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004 07:00:40 PM »

I just want to say hi to everyone and let you know that I am a new knitter and I managed to pull off the Sophie purse from www.magknits.com  .  It's a felted purse and it took me spring break to finish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lifesanadventure.et sy.com
help a poor college student out!
creatingme
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004 08:16:54 PM »

famousamos-  I just finished the Sophie bag too.  WOuld love to see a picture of your bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
io
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004 08:29:36 PM »

buttons may be a bit above beginner knitting. they are tricky to make look good, if you are interested in the future there is a good method given in a book i have: "knitting in plain english" by maggie righetti (which is quite a good book even if you are not a beginner)

zippers are easy because they don't require you to do anything at all knitting-wise. you just knit the edge where you want the zipper as any other edge, and then when you have finished you hand-sew the zipper on. it is advisable to pin it on first.

a tip on zipper-sewing - make sure you are not stretching the knitting as you pin it to the zipper. i had this problem with my first knitted garment and had to redo it about 3 times.

sweaters do take a long time, so with the benefit of hindsight i would recommend knitting something in the biggest, chunkiest yarn you can find because it makes it a lot quicker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004 05:39:16 AM »

I think Sonnet would be a good first sweater.  I still haven't pieced mine together yet!  

I did have a few problems with it - I managed to skip some increases and decreases for the arm and neck shaping.  So I would caution you to just be attentive and check your body piece against the pattern frequently.  I probably ripped it out as much as I knitted - that was a hard lesson learned.

My Sonnet has a guage of 5 st/in. The yarn is relatively thin and I think it will have a nice drape.  Before you go with a bulky yarn, decide if that's the type of sweater you are going to wear. Mine is intended for wear over summer dresses, for cool summer nights or winter days at the office.  

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
czarina
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004 08:36:40 AM »

Why not avoid buttons and zippers entirely and make yourself a camisole or shell?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lavendar420
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004 12:53:17 PM »

Thanks for the ideas & comments!
I like that magknits site,  now I'm thinking this project might be better for me:
http://www.magknits.com/warm04/patterns/hug.htm

I'm flying cross  country next weekend to go to the march in my sig - I need something to keep me busy that doesn't require scissors for a long period of time!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Regime change begins at home
http://www.moveon.org/
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004 06:14:40 AM »

Just about any sweater that is labeled as "easy" or "basic" will be fine . . . go for it! About your flight, you can take preschool, blunt tip scissors on flights. I usually buy a pair (about a dollar at most discount stores) before I fly and leave them in the package. Believe me, you will be searched and some security scanners won't let you take them, but most will as long as you have to package and they are rounded, blunt-tip scissors. You can get more information on the Transportation Safety Administration's website (can't think of the official address right now) and print out their truly helpful PDF which I take with me just in case I need back up on my contents. Be prepared to talk a lot about your knitting (with scissors or not) so you can justify that you actually knit. Not meaning to scare you off of taking the knitting on the plane, but just so you know . . . nothing sucks more than a cross country flight with nothing to do!

Cheers,
Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitcrazy
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004 10:29:06 AM »

I definitely think that a shell would be a great option....especiall y with the warm weather coming fast. You can knit them as two pieces on straight needles, or as one piece on circular needles., if you're daring. They usually don't require too much shaping and you get more practice on decreases, and such thing. Changing colors or the stitch part-way through can also be a good way to spice up the project. There are plenty of free patterns online, or in books from your library. I'm a newbie too, and I definitely know the feeling of having too many scarves for my own good. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Latest Leather and Patent Items from The Highstreet
Jeanius - Jorden Bickham on Denim
Vintage Bowles - Ragtime in Paris
Jeanius - Maya Sasaki on SKinny Jeans
Jeanius - Laura Regensdorf on Matching Jeans and Figure
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...