A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,850
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted cassette tape ipod mini cozy  (Read 19164 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starpiste
« on: August 22, 2005 10:07:40 PM »

I have been wanting to try this idea since I read something on craftster several months ago about video tape not being great to knit with. Someone might have also suggested cassette ribbon but I don't remember off hand. I wasn't sure what I wanted to make but as I found the smaller the hook the better the results (this was done on a 3.25mm hook) I figured something small was best and that it was appropriate to keep the ribbon in a music-related position

I basically crocheted the cassette tape ribbon into a long rectangle and sewed up the sides to make it into a cozy.  The rings on the end of the ties are the wheels inside the cassette I used. I ran out of the ribbon about 10 rows from the end and discovered that not all cassettes have the same colour ribbon. So this is mostly made with the single of Bohemian Rhapsody/The Show Must Go On by Queen and then finished off with Boyz II Men.

I have my ipod in it and love how it looks and feels. It less crunchy than I thought it would be and more cushy and shiny. It also stretches a good amount and I like that you can see the pink of the ipod through the stitches.

In progress:

Wrapped up with earphones:

Case open:

Another close up:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

geedownie
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005 10:10:55 PM »

This is brilliant!
I love how you left the wheels on the end too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scapina
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005 11:07:45 PM »

omg- i had checked to see if anyone else had thought of an ipod cosy and by the time i had finally gotten my stuff uploaded there your was! i love the tape idea! was it hard to work with? like did it stretch? and bonus pints for using the insides like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Morning Star
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

feel my chest when i look at you, baby you, you got my only heart.

suppose i said, you're my saving grace?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005 11:14:03 PM »

holy crap. i want to make one of those right now.
i hope you don't mind if i steal your idea. i've been trying to look for the perfect cozy, and i think i just found it.
plus... mine is pink, too.
this is so awesome. and i love that you used queen and boyz II men. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-mayor west?
-how do you know my language?

i made an info blog for my swap partners.
http://mon-seul.livejournal.com/

i now have a wist list!

www.wists.com/morningstar
starpiste
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005 11:23:44 PM »

Thanks everyone!

It wsn't that hard to work with but this was my fourth try at this project. I thought it would be nice to have the ribbon flatter but that was hard and ended up looking awful. It does stretch but only enough to make it usable and fit well and it broke once from me pulling to hard on it. Sometimes it's a bit hard to see your stitches, particularly the last in the row.

You can totally steal the idea! I would have prefered pairing someone else with Queen (mamas and the papas and the clash were in the running) but these two were the same colour. It is kind of representative of my ipod's contents though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ILiveForJesus
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005 06:14:36 AM »

Good Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowkat
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005 06:52:09 AM »

Nice! Audio tape was my idea for this challenge too, but I had a knit gift that needed to be finished first and never got around to completing anything. My bf wouldn't let me make a cozy for his ipod though, because audio tape is coated in metals, and we had no idea whether they had any magnetism, which would be bad for a hard drive. Anyone have the answers to that??? If I finish the bag I'll post a picture and details on the knitting board so there's instructions for a matching set. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fee
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005 07:46:56 AM »

I love it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005 08:13:28 AM »

Very nice! I love this idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starpiste
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005 08:25:09 AM »

I think the magnetic part of a tape is the little bit inside the case that's near the foam. I'll search the net a bit today though to check if the ribbon itself is magnetic.

Update:
"The cassette tape is covered with a layer of magnetizable particles, commonly oxides of iron. These particles become magnetized when they are exposed to a strong magnetic field from a nearby magnet. They keep this magnetization until they are re-magnetized by another close approach by a magnet." I also found that computer hard drives are recorded in the same kind of way. So if you have magnets nearby them it will mess up your data.

So far no harm, but if anyone else wants to try this it might be a good idea to do research - or make something else out of the ribbon.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005 08:52:10 AM by starpiste » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Boa Flower Scarf Part 1/2
How to Crochet a Snowflake Part 2/2
Making Art from Seeds
How to Create Living Holiday Decor
How to Create Rock Star Holiday Centerpiece Decor
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...