A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cut out handle clutch with fish!!  (Read 90667 times)
Tags for this thread: fish , cutout_handle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stargirl

whatever it takes...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2005 06:52:03 PM »

thanks =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
choirgirl
melodramatic photographer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2005 08:36:47 PM »

That fish fabric is so cool! Thanks for the great tutorial too. I have been reading and reading about how to make the handles in other tutorials, and my overstimulated brain just did not get it. But, thanks to you, it all makes perfect sense now! Yay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargirl

whatever it takes...

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2005 07:23:05 AM »

That fish fabric is so cool! Thanks for the great tutorial too. I have been reading and reading about how to make the handles in other tutorials, and my overstimulated brain just did not get it. But, thanks to you, it all makes perfect sense now! Yay.

thank you! you should post pictures of what you made, because so far everyones has been so very different. i was the same way with the other tutorials, i need a lot of pictures.  i had to figure it out on my own. im glad i was so helpful =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlgeeknz
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2005 03:22:41 PM »

Hello! I made another one, this time for a friend's birthday, and she was stoked with it. The exterior is beige corduroy, and the interior is a japanese cotton print. There's a pocket inside for cellphone and pens, and I attached a short loop of ribbon between the exterior and interior fabrics of the handle, with a 'dog clip' on the end for keys to be attached to. I experimented a little with using milk bottle plastic rectangles to stiffen the handles, and this worked well, although it was hard to cut bits of the plastic that weren't curved. I also used 2 layers of medium weight interfacing, and another rectangle of interfacing over the plastic around the handles.

The bag wasn't really made to be reversable, but it looked great either way, so I made sure the ribbon & key-clip could be flipped to the other side if she wanted to reverse the bag.

Thanks heaps again for the tutorial, I've totally got this down pat now!
http://claire.wibble.net/photos/albums/2005/Stuff%20I%20Made/thumbs/corduroy-cutout-handles.jpg

http://claire.wibble.net/photos/albums/2005/Stuff%20I%20Made/thumbs/corduroy-cutout-handles-rev.jpg
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011 10:56:57 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargirl

whatever it takes...

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2005 03:47:28 PM »

im glad that you've gotten so much use out of this girlgeeknz!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlyGirlBags
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2005 05:58:11 AM »

Stargirl,

how did you stabilize your handles?  I made one of these bags following the Amy Butler pattern and it didn't mention stablizing the handles and while the bag turned out okay and handles get squished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmsmaverick
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2005 06:27:29 AM »

girly girl, my first cut out bag i just left the handle's too. it's ok for me, and it's a sentimental favorite, but i couldn't sell it or give it as a gift. the second one i made i used cereal boxes, and cut the hole out, and left a 3" frame sort of thing around the handle cutout. But i think If you wanted to really do it properly and according to seamster protocol, there's this really stiff sort of interface stuff, you find it where you get the regular interface.  that will probably help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GirlyGirlBags
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2005 07:23:17 AM »

Great idea with the cereal boxes!  thanks!! I saw the same purse at a quilting store and they had padded the entire purse with batting. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargirl

whatever it takes...

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2005 07:27:18 AM »

i use interface for the whole thing and then after i cut out and iron the handles i iron on some square pieces of interface around the handle. it works really well. i just started to do that with the last few ive made. good luck making your own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pibbgirl
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2005 05:55:56 PM »

You can also put plastic canvas into the handles.  This would be done like with the cereal box but its water proof. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Good Nature Photos
ISO Adjustment
How to Tale Digital Photographs
The Rules of Composition
A Guide to Sharing Your Digital Photos Online
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...