A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
737 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 1043 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HOCKEYGIRL658

Rhino girls kick butt!!!

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2004 11:31:07 AM »

Okay, I just started knitting about a month ago.  My first project was a VERY basic  scarf with 3 rows of garter stich around the outside edge and stockinette in the middle.  However about 20 rows into it the scarf started to curl up on itself.  Now that I am done it is more like a giant snake than a scarf.

So I thought..."maybe it was the yarn?"  Project 2 was a novelty scarf for my best friend.  She wanted eylash yarn that I combined with a chunky chenille on #11 needles.  All garter stitch.  Totally cute!!!  She loves it.  If I can get it away from her I will take photos.

However, I had about 15 yards of leftover chenille that I decided to do a quick choker out of.  Mostly cause I needed something to do on the rest of the bus ride home from work.  4 stitches wide.  All in stockinette stitch.  10 rows in the d@rn thing started rolling up on itself!!!!

Soooooooo..............what am I doing wrong?  I want to tackle something besides scarfs, but I don't want to make a bunch of projects that turn into snake like projects!  Wink

Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be like the trees.  Stay strong in your roots.  Grow upward toward the light.  Offer shade to all.
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004 11:37:32 AM »

stockinette curls up.  plain and simple.  you aren't doing anything wrong.  It does this because the knit stitches are a teeny bit bigger than the purl stitches.  garter stitch doesn't curl, because you are alternating which side the knit stitches face - same thing with ribbing (if there's an equal number of knit at purl in the ribbing) or moss stitch.
the garter stitch border should have helped with the curling on that first scarf - maybe you just needed more border/scarf ratio.  Did you just make the first and last  couple of rows in garter or did you also do the first and last couple of stitches on each row?
another thing you can do is blocks of stockinette facing opposite directions - this gives a stripe or checkered effect

You can also try blocking your finished pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinknut

Legolas Lives!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004 12:27:39 PM »

Have no fear you're doing nothing wrong.  But you know some of the best things can look great rolled.  A rolled scarf is cute sometimes.  So don't worry.  It's life
THIS ROCKS   Logged
czarina
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004 08:32:26 AM »

...and a rolled choker could look really cute! You could just stitch it up with mattress stitch so that it's officially a tube.

You know, if you're making lots of chokers, you can knit beads into your fabric. Look it up online...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
io
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004 08:35:50 AM »

"stockinette" as you yanks call it, curls up. a border of some kind is the most effective way of stopping it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004 08:46:55 AM »

My mom always says that if you slip the first and the last stitch the stockinette won't roll on you, but I haven't found that to be true. My daughter did a scarf with a garter border and I think that she needed to increase it to five stitches in garter to stop her minimal rolling. Either way, rolls or not, scarves still keep you warm!

Cheers,
Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HOCKEYGIRL658

Rhino girls kick butt!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004 10:15:18 AM »

Thanks for all the advice!  Glad to know that it wasn't me.  Roll Eyes  I am working on a scarf in a basket weave design right now and am happy to report.........NO ROLLING!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be like the trees.  Stay strong in your roots.  Grow upward toward the light.  Offer shade to all.
himeykitty
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004 07:34:11 PM »

"stockinette" as you yanks call it, curls up. a border of some kind is the most effective way of stopping it.

Wait, what do the non-Yanks call it?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Add me to the list of knitbloggers:
http://kittyknit.blogspot.com
io
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004 03:37:10 AM »

stocking stitch  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Saving Time Working in Lightroom 2 and Photoshop CS4
Using 3D in Photoshop
How to Use Content Aware Scaling in Adobe Photoshop CS4 (Lynda.Com)
Making Lower Thirds Part 3 - Photoshop for Video 95
Making Lower Thirds Part 1 - Photoshop for Video
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...