A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,905
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knots in yarn... interesting reply from Crystal Palace  (Read 1613 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazycatladymel
« on: August 22, 2005 05:51:39 PM »

It annoys me when I pay good money for yarn and find knots in it. I figure it can't hurt, so I take a few minutes and write to the company, expressing disappointment in the quality of the yarn. Sometimes it pays off and I get the yarn replaced. Sometimes my letter goes into the trash. (I've only done this 4 times). My letter to Crystal Palace/Straw Into Gold went into the trash, but I followed up with an email. I predicted in my LJ that I'd get a list of excuses. I was right... but I got them in a smart-ass, condescending email that included this little tidbit:

"It's lucky that you have had no other knots in any of our yarns, but they do exist and you should find an average of 2-3 knots in every 10 balls of Big Net (100 gr balls) or 20 balls of yarns that are in 50 gr balls. For you to have ONE knot in a 100 gr ball of Big Net is not unusual"

Basically, the email read like a snotty, chiding email, implying that I don't understand "quality" yarn and that I just "have to live with a few knots." (Hand to God, this is a direct quote).

Guess what brand of yarn I'm never buying again? Not actually because of the knot in this one ball*, or the possibility of a knot in other balls*. I'm never buying their yarn again because they're snotty. Yeah, I'm that kind of consumer.

*Truth is, I know that this kind of thing happens. But it's one of those things that if you complain about, sometimes you get action.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meg4568
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005 06:29:26 PM »

what kind of knot was it? a little one? sometimes in prduction they just have to tie ends together to finish making a cone or ball or skien. its not sloppy. its how its done.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005 06:33:31 PM »

Actually, at first I too read it the same way you did, but after a second time around reading it outloud to my boyfriend it doesnt actually sound that snotty. It just sounds like they are stating statistical facts. And I kind of agree to having to live with knots...because unless it's wool or some animal fiber, there will most definitely be knots (and boy do I hate them too)

I've noticed over the years there's more than one way to read a sentence online, and it's made me make some mistakes in judgement a few times...times when I have cried, times when I have gotten extremely frustrated...and so on. I know that this one isn't the heartbreaking kind, but i do think it takes second looking (and even that sometimes comes out the same way), or maybe just a second opinion...or so on... haha

That's just my take on it. But I think that unless we ask them face to face we may never know what they meant. But I don't think it was really meant to be "snotty" .. even tho I even made an ugly face the first time I read it. They are a pretty big company and I don't think they want to lose customers over something as trivial as a knot in their yarn.

But then again, ...maybe they just can't change how their process is and all they feel to do is tell the truth about what happens in their yarns... I dunno.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
crazycatladymel
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005 07:05:50 PM »

I didn't post the whole email. Trust me, it was snotty. Not, "we're sorry you had this experience, but because of the nature of the process, blah, blah, blah." It was more like, you obviously don't know anything about yarn, let me enlighten you. There's a way to handle complaints, even if you think the former customer is wrong. Implying that they're stupid... probably not the way (definitely doesn't work with me). 'salright if you don't agree -- this isn't a call for a boycott! But they have lost me as a customer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005 07:38:21 PM »

i think you have every right to be upset with the way you were communicated with.  it's your money, you have every right to decide how you want to spend it, and how you'd like to be treated when you spend it.  unrelated, but i'm switching banks because, rather than simply offer to help me, the customer service agent decided that i didn't know the difference between an automated voice asking me for my social security number vs asking for my pin number, and that she needed to argue with me about it.  umm, you don't win business by calling your customers dumbasses or liars, especially when there's a big difference between a 9 digit and a 4 digit number.
a*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005 07:46:54 PM »

oh, I didnt realize they wrote you a much longer e-mail. So then I can see where you are coming from...Cause it did seem snotty at first glance and that particular sentence could be misread, but I can definitely see the "you dont get yarn" vibe. That's a shame for that company...pooey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
meg4568
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005 07:52:09 PM »

most companies are like that tho. I have the most irritating time with earth guild in N.C.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysolda
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005 03:53:11 AM »

its not something I'd complain about, they are right that its normal... but thats no reason for them to be rude to their customers - if they can't be bothered being polite to their customers then they don't deserve them, hope you made that clear to them in your response
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005 06:29:21 PM »

my yarn store got like that when i complained about the yarn (jo sharp silkroad aran) to them. Blamed the problem all on my tension. Acted like I didn't understand the concept of tension. Said I *could* contact Jo Sharp, but they probably wouldn't care.

Well, I did write them a letter. And they cared so much they asked me to call them back with more info so they could take up the problem with their mill. Though no freebies as yet *sigh*

Crystal Palace has dumb PR. Condescension never goes down well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005 03:59:43 AM »

Truly -- I'm more bothered by the email than the yarn. I know knots happen, but I really haven't gotten *that* many. The way her message read, I'm lucky not to get one in every ball (if that's the case, they should put that on their label: may contain knots). I've had a total of 6 balls with knots out of all the ones I've worked with (I remember b/c I HATE weaving in ends!). But I figure that most people shrug it off, so if I complain, I might get something out of it. If not, no biggie. And even though I've decided to not buy any of their products again (yarn, needles, etc.), I get the feeling they could care less.

I'm dealing with some deeply personal stuff right now (my dad's having major surgery tomorrow -- the third in a week, but this is a big one), so I'll wait to compose my reply until I'm calmer. My reply will definitely focus on the poor customer service. Even if there's nothing they can do about it (although it sounds like Jo Sharp co. thinks they can do something), there is a right way to handle complaints. This wasn't it.

For clarification: my initial post wasn't to express my shock and dismay that there was a knot it my yarn. It was entirely to share how the company handled my complaint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Compressed Watermelon Slices Infused With Vodka
3 Cool Watermelon Recipes for Labor Day
AOL Experts - Summer Wine Pairing
30-Minute Real Deal Chili Recipe
How to Make the Ramenritto at Home
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...