A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help me find a place to sit!  (Read 718 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greengirl216
« on: August 22, 2005 04:21:46 PM »

Anyone have any experience with making seating arrangements?
OK, so here is my dilema... I live in an apartment with my boyfriend, nice sized place... but he has a lot of friends... we have one couch in our living room, thats it... I have 4 kitchen chairs that we bring in, but I prefer not to use those (theyve been in storage, im afraid they might break because they seem brittle) and it drives me nuts when his friends rock in them (another way to break the chairs!)

so, im trying ti figure out an inexpensive way to make another "seat" in the room. doesn't have to be a chair! I was thinking more along the lines of maybe an ottoman (sp?) Or a small bench.. As of yet I haven't found one that I can re-cover... Has anyone had any luck making one out of wood and covering it? Im pretty handy with powertools and I have a ton of scrap wood..

If I can't find anything or make anything,  I can always find a thrift chair and somehow make it a lil more comfortable......

THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliasgracie
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005 02:00:13 PM »

How about floor cushions?  My new place is small so I went and bought large dog beds (cheaper than pillows) when my friends come over they grab a pillow.  Then when they leave I stack them in the corner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Common sense is the collection of prejudices
- Albert Einstein

50 things 6/50
Jennickell
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005 02:08:53 PM »

I am in the process of turning a coffee table into a bench. It is a sturdy 60's style table with crome legs and a famica (sp) top. The plan is to glue down some foam that I cut to fit and cover it with fabric (the underside is particle board so it should be stapable). Did that make sense. I plan on using it as an end of the bed bench. My mom did the something similar to a coffee table she had,but for hers she just made a cushion that sits on top and put pillows on top of it (it sits against the wall so you can lean on the pillows)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005 02:25:15 PM »

some stores are having back to college sales that you may want to look into. i know my walmart had stoage ottomans on sale for $25. sometimes you can find a goodwill that carries only furniture, and they might have something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greengirl216
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005 03:31:28 PM »

Thanks for all of the ideas! I like the coffee table idea, i dont think i have the room for that, but i guess it could work with a short end table!

I ended up going to the salvation army today but unfortunately didn't find anything stable enough... i'll keep looking.. but in the mean time I will definitly try walmart and target, and places like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005 02:17:00 PM »

Another place to look is at the furniture stores.  When someone buys new furniture, some stores take the old furniture in trade.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005 04:24:10 PM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pick Evening Wear
How to Pick the Right Shoes for Your Outfit
How to Fashionably Cover Your Legs
How to Shop NYC Thrift Stores
How to Find NYC Sample Sales
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...