A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
358 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone used Noro Silk Garden?  (Read 1092 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beccajo

I Lurve to Craft

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2004 10:45:11 AM »

Hello! I'm wondering if anyone has used Noro Silk Garden and can give me their opinions on it.
I have used the wool kuyreon by Noro and LOVE it, I'm just wondering if the silk version is as easy to work with and has the same color-changing self-striping pattern.
I knit a hat I sort of made up after sneaking a peak at a Noro pattern book...it looks like a swirly turban with ribbed stripes going up the sides but it's waaaaay too warm to wear after it gets above freezing and was hoping to make a silk/lighter version to wear during summer.  Before I invest the $$ I want to know if it's worth it.  Will try to get a photo of the twirly turban if I can......

PS will silk be nice and cool or am I crazy?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004 10:46:22 AM by beccajo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

won't you brighten a wee cat's day?

www.eoinadesigns.com/shop.html
Amy Lou
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004 01:03:28 PM »

HI Silk Garden is awesome except it's not all silk...it's silk, mohair & wool. I think I might be in love with it....it might rank as my new favorite yarn.  I think almost all the Noro knits up with the nice color variations and this one has an amazing feel and even cooler is you can unravel it super easy.   I hope that answers your question.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Iko
Your Plastic Pal Who's Fun To Be With

Knitting is sexy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004 05:02:41 PM »

I have used the wool kuyreon by Noro and LOVE it, I'm just wondering if the silk version is as easy to work with and has the same color-changing self-striping pattern.

I work frequently with both Kureyon and Silk Garden.  Silk Garden stripes but not as clearly and beautifully as Kureyon does.  The colors are more mottled (the only word I can think of).  Silk Garden also doesn't felt as quickly as Kureyon but has a wonderful silky texture and sheen that the Kureyon lacks.

It's still pretty warm, so I'm not sure if it would be completely appropriate for summer wear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccajo

I Lurve to Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004 06:53:20 AM »

Bummer....
I just made up another hat this weekend practicing cables, using the Kuyreon, and it's also way too warm.....Oh well at least I live in Minnesnowta and have opportunity and reasons to wear lotsa hats.

I think I'm going to have to use cotton for spring and summer hats but the stuff I was swatching last night was ishy, didn't cable well, and I don't think I'm going to like it as much.  Cry

THIS ROCKS   Logged

won't you brighten a wee cat's day?

www.eoinadesigns.com/shop.html
meexie
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004 01:53:31 AM »

I've used both.  The Silk Garden was harder to work with for me - not as much bounce to it as the Kureyon, and the texture is a bit rougher.  I looove the Silk Garden colorways though.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Exposure and Shadow Levels
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Temperature and Tint
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the White Balance and Color Sampler Tools
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to View .DNG Images in Bridge
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Downsample and Save for Print
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...