A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I make a logo?  (Read 1591 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

615bride
« on: April 16, 2004 09:28:24 AM »

I mean, I can creatively come up with one but how do I do it so that it can be used on tags for my "product" and on the web if I sell through consignment? Should it be done on a computer or drawn and printed by a printer?

Thanks in advance for any help...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cdsommer

You can never have too many bags...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004 09:36:54 AM »

I have made all my logos, tags, banners and graphics myself. I use a combination of MS PhotoDraw and Photoshop. In PhotoDraw, I combine a background, text, any graphics and borders and save it in both the PhotoDraw format and jpeg. Then I open it in Photoshop and do any special effects and optimize it (so it downloads faster). You could use any graphics program ~ just get into it and play around. A lot can be done with text alone ~ just don't mix too many fonts together, it might be difficult to read. Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sommer Designs Handbags
http://www.sommerdesigns.com
Stunning Style! Decadent Designs! Divine Details
http://www.sommerdesigns.blogspot.com
beccajo

I Lurve to Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004 11:01:22 AM »

Another fun thing is to use clip-art like from word or something.   Everything I've ever read said that it's usable for logos, etc. because you're not actually re-selling those images..... If anyone knows differently let me know!

You can also have your logo, address, etc. made into a rubber stamp, so you can put it on tags, mailers, labels, and what have you. I've done that several times, it's usually around $5 for words and up to $15 for images, of course, depending on the size.  Most office supply stores will do it for you in about 7 days.
I use water-based markers to 'draw' in the details if I want one area or line to be colored differently, then go "HOOHHHH HOOHHHH" on it and the moisture re-wets those places that have already dried.  You can get some really cool effects that way!
I found two image stamps that were VERY close to my logo that I had designed, peeled them off their bases and cut off what I didn't need, put them back together and VOILA.  They are both, of course, 'angel' stamps, and since I'm not selling anything created with the image, just using it to mark things, it's OK.
You could go the super crafty route and carve your own logo out of a rubber eraser or linoleum, remembering that it will be reversed when printed.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

won't you brighten a wee cat's day?

www.eoinadesigns.co m/shop.html
monkeyrocker
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004 01:20:56 PM »

The best thing to do is to pay a designer to design your logo.  A lot of small printers also have graphic design services which are cheaper than independant desingers.  If you can't afford that, you might try bartering some of your products with a design student: for a student, sometimes having the chance to do something professional that they can put in their portfolio and a reference from a real live client can be a really positive thing, so they're willing to barter or do a little work for cheap.  I'm assuming that you want a simple one color logo to start and not a whole publicity package, which shouldn't be a problem for the average design student.  Most art schools have bulletin boards where you can post things like this, and when I was in art school, a lot of people did cheap work for smaller businesses or pro-bono work for non-profits to help beef up their portfolios.

If you decide to design your own logo, either create an original drawing with pen and ink and then have films and slicks made at a printer, or use something like Quark or Illustrator to make your logo.  DON'T use Photoshop: I know Photoshop stuff looks awsome on screen, but Photoshop is really only designed to help edit and touch up photos.  To get the most versatility out of a logo, it should be a vector graphic (you can  resize vector graphics for print pubs without much pixelation, and you can always optimize for the web as a gif if you need to use the logo on your website); Photoshop rasterizes everything and you're left with a bitmap.

I'm really a big fan of DIY, and if you're interested, you should totally learn graphic design basics, but graphic design is a skill unto itself, just like any other craft on this board, and if you don't want/need to learn this whole other skill, there are plenty of professionals and professionals-in-training who can do it for you.  Having been a typesetter, I dealt with many many many people who came to me with things they had designed themselves which we had to completely reset and/or redesign in order to be print ready, which not only cost the client money, but time since they had already spent hours designing the logo in the first place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it. --Mae West
BagLady
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004 09:20:10 PM »

Hi,
I do my own as well. I am a self-taught graphic designer & illustrator. I might be able to help. PM me if you are interested  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GracieTom: Original Handbags, Totes & Accessories Galore | www.gracietom.com |

Affordable website design & logo development | www.lisettedesign.c om |
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fernando Daoliveira Profile
Artist Painter Reesa Kadaner Rakita
Viviana Guiliani - Artist profile
Artist Painter Lindsay Chambers
Denis Douville Profile
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...