A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
756 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: portrait in red and blue  (Read 4825 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SoonFamo-Artiste
Addict To Crafts.

I am crafty obsess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2006 12:05:25 PM »

u go girl that quilt is so pretty, i hope u won the challenge, now i feel like I can do the quilt that I wanted to do after seein this
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmoore
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006 05:54:48 PM »

Thanks SoonFamo-Artiste; the quilt was chosen and featured in the spring issue of Quilting Arts.

My complimentary copy and accompanying letter:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006 07:30:51 PM »

Wow, this is amazing!  Congratulations on your spot in Quilting Arts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pristinity
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006 08:29:39 AM »

Oh, that's awesome! I totally wish I had your mad quilting skillz!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillianb
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006 01:11:09 PM »

I remember seeing this in the magazine when it came out.  It's quite beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMeganToo
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2006 03:43:17 PM »

It looks great.  Quilting Arts is such an amazing magazine... with a birthday coming up, I think I might request a subscription (it's soooo expensive per issue, I can never justify it myself)...

Can you give any tips for doing a portrait or faces within quilts in general?  I'm not much for drawing/painting, and quilting has always been a way that I can get away with not being able to because I can get around it by doing something similar... but faces are really messing me up.... how did you go from the original drawing/photo/idea to the finished face? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
m8888888
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2006 09:05:13 PM »

That's gorgeous, & congratulations on being featured in the magazine! I love the quilting on the face, & the colors are beautiful!
I'm also wondering about the process of going from a picture to a finished piece! Please tell us more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Favorite moment of the year?  That commercial when m8888888 dropped her towel and jumped naked into the arms of Tony Danza.
cmoore
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006 06:51:06 PM »

Thanks again all-I love QuiltingArts too, so it was especially cool to be published in it.
I have to admit portraits are something I am relatively good with in general. However for this piece I did start with a photo and did some extensive altering in photoshop.
 I raised the contrast of the photo I was working with (which already had fairly good contrast) as high as possible without losing the image. Then I applied a cutout filter to it. I also altered the saturation.  I believe it was here that I duplicated the image and set one aside.I set my foreground and background colours to blue and red, and applied a graphic pen filter. I of course played with the settings of all. I returned to the duplicate and erased everything but the hair-this was because I lost the shape of the head and hair, so I made it a darker red and moved it over to the right place in the photo.

It was originally a design for a deco which I then painted. I decided to use the same layout for the challenge.  I traced the printed photo in reverse on the red fabric. I cut the centre out and fused the red over the blue. The smaller details, such as the eyes, were left off and later embroidered. I used some tear away stableizer behind it and machine embroidered. Then of course layering and quilting. Most of the stitchwork is the first round of embroidery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMeganToo
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2006 02:35:57 AM »

Thanks so much!  That's incredibly helpful..... it would, of course, be more helpful if I had Photoshop, but once I get it I know I'll have some clear ideas about what to do.

Thanks again, it really is gorgeous.

-Megan
THIS ROCKS   Logged
H.
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2006 07:31:10 PM »

so---------------------------o great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Tie-Dyed Leggings
How to Make Hand-Dyed Beaded Necklaces
How to Craft a Futuristic Pumpkin
How to Make a Candy Bouquet With Dylan Lauren
How to Make Festive Halloween Decorations
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...